Author Topic: Godaddy down since 4:45pm CST March 23, ongoing, widespread problem  (Read 13891 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
I got in this evening and was checking out the Southeastern Weather Network map and saw that my station was offline.  When I got to checking I found that my website was down...no updates from the weather station were being uploaded and checking the weathercam in town I found that it wasn't updating either.  That's when I figured it was on Godaddy's end.  Login on Godaddy is very slow, and now getting to the hosting page is painfully slow.  When I started to enter a ticket about it they said that they are aware of it...since 3:23pm in some time zone (eastern?).  My data shows that they my uploads stopped at 4:54pm this afternoon.  Do you think I should go ahead and start a ticket on this or let them get it fixed a ticket?  Attached is the current notice that they have up stating the 3:23pm time.  The small box to the right simply updates to the current time when the page is refreshed.

Ed

ETA: Modified title to better state the subject.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:58:23 AM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
Re: Godaddy down since 4:45pm CST
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
Hmm, just went back to my website and it appears to be updating...to a degree.  Updates are not uploading at a regular rate (every 15 seconds) but rather from every 15 to 30 seconds.

An odd thing is that the live video from the weathercam is working now but the still image upload has quit working.  I logged on to WebcamXP on the downtown computer via TeamViewer and the FTP upload window is showing:

Unable to connect to beeweather.com
Socket Error #10060.
Connection timed out.

It was working fine until Godaddy took a dive.  Should I give it a little while to see if Godaddy does something to remedy the situation?  Is there anything I should check/do?

Thanks for your help!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
The Southeastern network site is hosted by HostGator and we were having cron issues earlier too.

It appears to be working normally now and your station's data is flowing to the SEWN :)

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
Thanks, Ken.  I checked and it looks like all's well with the SEWN, looks like I need to get the script to host the map on my website!!!

Now if I can just figure out this godaddy issue...things were working good before their problem.  ](*,)   :mad:

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Ed,
The script for the SEWN mesonet map is available from the SEWN-code.php page on the Southeastern network main website :)

Good luck with the GoDaddy issues .. I host the Southwestern network with them, and problems are generally quickly resolved.  Their 1st level tech support is quite savvy and helpful. 
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
Ken, do you think I need to put a ticket in with them or just sit it out for a while.  Would the socket error #10060 be with my system or their's?  I haven't changed anything on weathercam computer but I know that WebcamXP sat there for several hours timing out on it's uploads.  If nothing else, I'll reboot it tomorrow when I get to the office and see what happens. 

Filezilla works ok, I uploaded a modified jpeg stating there is a godaddy problem with the still image uploads.  Once the images start back uploading this one (hopefully) will get overwritten.  But, FTP worked getting it placed online...but FTP in WebcamXP isn't making the connection.<sigh>  Flying by the seat of your pants can be frustrating at times.  :???:

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
A 10060 error is a Windows error:
WSAETIMEDOUT 10060    

Connection timed out.

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or the established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond.

A host issue is likely -- could it be the number of concurrent connections from your IP to the FTP server exceeded some limit.  I know e-rice.net users are limited to 3 or 5 concurrent FTP sessions.  I don't know what GoDaddy's limit might be.  Alternatively, the FTP service on the website just may have been swamped and so timed out sessions/session requests.

Best regards,
Ken

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
We experienced a 22 hr system wide issue last week with an ISP upstream provider, whoever they are. Upstream out of local ISP had become so erratic and slow that my hosting servers connections were timing out. I had to turn off all 4 webcam uploads just to get data to site, and for most of the period my VWS tags wouldn't load, producing a php error on server. Small files <10k were getting through fine, if erratically. Needless to say this also produced "too many connections" errors...
Mike

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:51 AM »
Ed, my GoDaddy site experienced FTP issues for about 2 hours last night. The site was there, but couldn't FTP anything to it.
It worked itself out after a few hours thankfully.
Tony

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
FTP continues to be a problem this morning.  Data uploads are sporadic, though I have them set for a 15 second interval they are mostly hitting on 30 seconds...almost like they're being spaced out for twice as long intentionally.  :?

The webcam still image uploads set for a 25 second interval are still not working, giving me the 10060/timeout error.  I turned the camera uploads off overnight hoping to start it up fresh this morning with uploads working...but no joy. :(

I submitted a repair/trouble ticket last night with godaddy...I should hear back from them today sometime...hopefully it won't be something like "we don't know how you were making this work before, but you need to purchase dedicated server space to do this...blah, blah...".  That last sentence refers back to this quote of a message I received when I first started with the camera... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19671.msg190558#msg190558  Their reply kept me from getting my webcam online for several months being as I figured it wouldn't work with my web account (I got it the live feed working later by moving the camera to a faster connection).  I hope this isn't the case...I'm not even sure my live camera feed is called "streaming" or not...it's bad to be so ignorant and trying to do stuff that requires some degree of "smarts".   ](*,) :-)

I'm really concerned about leaving the "live feed" running with the idea that if they see it they may intentionally kill it...to force me to "upgrade" if I want to keep it going.  :roll:  Maybe I'm too conspiracy minded, but they *did* tell me previously that it wouldn't work with my current account when it actually would.  :-|

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
Ed,
Somebody can check me if I'm in error:
I think you're using WebcamXP?  GD may have been speaking of a 'hosted' media stream server. Your webcam 'live stream' is coming from the WC server on your local machine... all the web page is doing is drawing the stream from your pc.  All GD 'hosts' is the code to access your pc, basically just a 'link' to your pc, and a bit of script for someone's browser to use.
Your still images upload, and GD does serve them... but that's a lot different than a 'streaming' 'video' that your local pc provides, only when someone connects to it. Shared servers do not typically provide a 'media' server... a lot don't even have ffmpeg installed.
Mike

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:13:15 AM »
That makes sense, Mike.  The live cam is simply a link on godaddy while the still imgages are actually on the gd server and being accessed by users there.  Thus, what appears to be the heavier lifting (the live cam feed) really isn't, but the seemingly lighter lifting (still images) is actually the heavy lifting.  Here is a partial quote of the message that I received back last July from Godaddy that confused me: 

"Thank you for replying and based upon the information that you have provided, it appears that you are having trouble with uploading a streaming webcam feed to the hosted website for beeweather.com. After reviewing your account, I have found that you are using our Web Hosting plan for beeweather.com, which can not support a streaming feed to it's servers. Upon further review, please refer to the following information in regard to our various Dedicated Server or Virtual Private Server options to allow for a streaming feed to the hosted servers."

:???:

Since my weather data appears to be ftping more or less "ok" to beeweather, it is beginning to make me think that something is amiss with webcamxp or my local network...maybe a port designation or something?  Cumulus is uploading data, Filezilla uploads ok, but the camera ftp upload definitely isn't working.  It does make me wonder if it's on my side of the equation. #-o  Being as things have worked well in the past I'm hesitant to go back into the router, etc.,...I'll probably mess something up.  I would've already jumped out a window but I realized I'd just end up skinning my nose up being as we don't have any tall buildings around here...a wall will have to do!  ](*,)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
Ed, my site seems ok from what I can see at work.

As for your webcam, I wouldnt worry about that with GoDaddy. I've had mine streaming since 2008 or so.
Myself, I worry more about Time Warner putting the squeeze on me sometime about all the bandwidth they use.

Tony
Tony

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Tony.  I'll quit worrying about Godaddy seeing my cameras doing something they're not supposed to be able to do. :)  Maybe I can tinker with it this afternoon.  I'm just wondering if with the long period of timeouts if the router might have "hung up" or something... before dig into it's settings I will reboot it and see if that makes a difference.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
Is anyone still having problem with GoDaddy? I have another website I maintain and while I can get into it to upload/download files via FileZilla, I get consistent "Service Unavailable - HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable" messages when trying to reach it as do the regular users of that site. I'm not the admin for the domain so GoDaddy won't talk to me about what is going on.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »
That error (503-Service Unavailable) is likely caused by too many processes (like stuck PHP pages) active on the webserver.
On a shared webserver, another site may be causing the issue for all the shared domains on that server.  The domain owner should contact the tech support as soon as they can to get it resolved.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
Well, other than the ftping of my webcam images things seem to be working more or less ok...data is being uploaded to beeweather though at intervals longer than my set 15 second intervals.  PWS and CWOP are updating while WU appears to be updating via "Rapidfire" ok.  Biggest issue right now is the webcam wigging out on me.  Looking back, it seems that Godaddy was completely down (in regards to my website) for at least 2-3 hours...maybe a little longer.  With other reports from different people they must of had something major to happen.  :?:

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
I was going to mention that also Ed. WU was fine last night for me too.

Hope it gets worked out for you.
Tony

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
That error (503-Service Unavailable) is likely caused by too many processes (like stuck PHP pages) active on the webserver.
On a shared webserver, another site may be causing the issue for all the shared domains on that server.  The domain owner should contact the tech support as soon as they can to get it resolved.

The domain owner is contacting his tech guy who maintains the website as far as paying the bills and domain support. So far, no response and the site seems to still be down. Has been since late Saturday night but I wasn't aware of it until this morning when I uploaded their March newsletter and tried to view it. The upload went just fine. The website is listed below:

EDIT: Thanks for the other inputs too!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:52:30 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
Updates to CWOP do not pass through your website -- your weather software contacts the CWOP servers directly and sends the data there and disconnects.  PWS weather and WU Rapidfire also do not use your weather website directly -- your weather software contacts their respective servers directly (using HTTP) to upload your weather info.  Only if your local ISP connection (to your house and the system running your weather software) were having a problem would the CWOP/PWS weather/WU uploads be impacted.

Data on your website IS impacted if the GoDaddy FTP servers are having an issue since your website data uses FTP to upload.  If GoDaddy's servers are fed from an ISP with issues, that can cause you to see issues with FTP uploads, as can overloads on the FTP servers at GoDaddy.

It's also possible that the connection from your ISP providing your internet access was having routing issues getting through the ISP providing internet to the GoDaddy FTP servers and losing some packets along the way causing the protocol to time-out/fail.   

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
I am also having a problem since sometime on Sunday afternoon (not sure exactly from when as was away and returned home this morning to this problem), however GoDaddy says it is not at their end.  I can view/access all websites except can't get to any of my webserver hosted accounts (FileZilla can't connect), Cumulus ftp can't connect and gives Timed out so no regular data updated, and I can't access any of my komokaweather hosted webpages but GoDaddy and my ISP support can but the pages are out of date.  However WU, PWS, CWOP and WOW all are being updated - I understand these updates are sent separately by Cumulus and directly to these sites and not ftp through my GoDaddy webserver account.

GoDaddy indicates that from the CMD prompt "tracert" response it is my ISP problem.  This is the "tracert" response|:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Paul Acer2>tracert komokaweather.com
Tracing route to komokaweather.com [50.63.51.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    13 ms    10 ms    14 ms  209.148.244.101
  4    11 ms    14 ms    13 ms  gw01.hnsn.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.2
5]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *       30 ms    31 ms  xe-0-1-0.er2.iad10.us.above.net [64.124.196.213]
  7    31 ms    31 ms    29 ms  ae2.cr2.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.31.209]
  8    56 ms    74 ms    60 ms  ae6.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.28.50]
  9    79 ms    80 ms    79 ms  ae0.mpr4.phx2.us.above.net [64.125.28.73]
 10    73 ms    74 ms    76 ms  209.66.64.6.t01121-04.above.net [209.66.64.6]
 11    80 ms    82 ms    81 ms  be39.trmc0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [184.168.0.73
]
 12    83 ms    86 ms    81 ms  be39.trmc0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [184.168.0.73
]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.
C:\Users\Paul Acer2>

I have a ticket with my ISP (Rogers) but their service turn-around is up to 48 hours, and from that may indicate a router/modem fault.

To me it seems strange that all the sites that are through GoDaddy can't be accessed by me nor updated, but all other websites can be accessed.  Any one have similar experience and any thoughts?

Paul

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »
www.beeweather.com is now completely down...cannot access via Firefox or Filezilla....

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
Interesting...times out at hop #13, too.  I'm on the phone with Godaddy right now...will post back later....  Ed

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\user>tracert beeweather.com

Tracing route to beeweather.com [184.168.190.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  BlueRouter1 [192.168.1.1]
  2     7 ms     2 ms     2 ms  cpe-195-161.troy.al.troycable.net [24.35.195.161
]
  3     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  199.119.96.58
  4    24 ms    19 ms    19 ms  199.119.96.62
  5    23 ms    20 ms    19 ms  38.122.47.113
  6    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  abovenet.atl04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.102
]
  7    23 ms    21 ms    22 ms  ae1.mpr3.atl6.us.above.net [64.125.31.41]
  8    33 ms    29 ms    28 ms  ae1.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.21.218]
  9    69 ms    62 ms    63 ms  ae0.mpr4.phx2.us.above.net [64.125.28.73]
 10    66 ms    62 ms    63 ms  209.66.64.6.t01121-04.above.net [209.66.64.6]
 11    65 ms    62 ms    62 ms  be39.trmc0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [184.168.0.73
]
 12    62 ms    62 ms    62 ms  be39.trmc0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [184.168.0.73
]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\user>

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Hi Ed,
Yes please let me know if you get something else from GoDaddy.  Mine timed out pretty well immediately,

Paul

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
Paul, I wish it had been you talking with this guy since you know a lot more about this stuff than I do...the guy seemed like he really wanted to help.  I'll try to remember what I can... Bottom line is...be patient, they're working on it. 

This part pertains to not being able to access the website/host....  Having your post with your copy and paste of your trace was really good...he actually came here to wxforum.net and checked the thread out and focused on your test results.  He agreed that you had some ISP issues at the beginning of it.  At that time he hadn't seen my results so I told him that both yours and mine got the final timeout at hop #13...that interested him.  He said that there is an issue with the hosting server resolving our websites' address....that the gdg address in #13 hop is Godaddy and something is happening in that area.  He said that they are working on it and finding out that it is fairly widespread helps.

As for the ftp, he said he could get to my address (or whatever) from a 3rd party computer...he had me try connecting with Filezilla using both my domain name and IP address...both failed.  He noted all of this.  I feel that my webcam not being able to upload earlier is somehow connected to the current outage on Godaddy...even though the tech said the two weren't really connected.  He seemed to agree that when the overall situation of not connecting is corrected the ftp issue may correct itself.  Again....wait and see.

I will say the guy was definitely trying, so I think he definitely made someone aware of our situations.  Something that he got me to do was go to translate.google.com, select a language and in the search area enter my domain name (beeweather.com)...this brought up my site in spanish but with really messed up formatting and basically text-only....looking at it just now, by the time it looks like Cumulus might actually be updating.  :?:

I punched in komokaweather.com into the translator and it brought up part of your webpage in spanish but I can't get it to come up simply by using Firefox.  What all that means???...DNS issues?

I hope some of that helps.  I guess all we can do is...wait and see.  #-o

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com