Author Topic: Could use help selecting new weather computer  (Read 11457 times)

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
Re: Could use help selecting new weather computer
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »
I think you have the bug bad. Before long your work station will look like mine used to:

Oh my 3 monitors, 2 keyboards and Davis on the right.

That is exactly the table I'm looking for! I need more space for additional monitors but I don't really care for having to face the corner. I have a 42" TV that I like to be able to see when at computer.

I can't see what's on your right monitor. I suppose its more weather info?

Of course how stupid of me to ask! That goes without saying!

Many Happy Weather Changes,

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »
The corner is not that bad because that is a window behind the Davis station. It looks out over the fields so I can see the approaching storms.
The monitor on the left was for the weather station computer. While it processed the videos, it could not do anything else.
The other 2 monitors were hooked up to the same computer. The 2 screens were very helpful while building the website. Having Filezilla, PSP Editor, Firefox, IE, Itunes, and other programs running at one time, it made it much quicker switching between windows. While it looks impressive, it generated much heat & noise, and I assume it used much electric. I eventually consolidated it all into the computer that is mentioned earlier in this thread. I miss the 2 monitors on one computer though.

So, when selecting a computer, is it just for the weather station? if so, as mentioned not much is needed. Are you going to get into a webcam and make videos? Now you will need something with a little more power. Is the computer for the weather station and webcam/videos and general use maybe including on-line games and video? Now you may need multiple processors, minimum of 4gig ram, and a higher end video card. Personally I prefer more computer than needed to help future proof it.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

Thank you so much for your advice. Before I began reading I didn't look to see who it was from but when I read 'here in NE' I first thought its someone in the northeast as they like to say they live in our NE lol anyway I then realized it from you over there in Lincoln.
Yeah, the misappropriation of our state's abbreviation by illiterati from New England or the NorthEast.  Irks me.
Have you had experience dealing with warranties on computers purchased at Newegg? I know the warranty would be through whatever brand of computer purchased. Newegg prices are less than Dell where I purchased my last 3 computers.
Newegg warranties most products, including computers, for 1 month (primarily to protect the customer from DOA(Dead On Arrival) products), I think, and then you're on the manufacturer's warranty, however long that is. Manufacturers such as HP, Lenovo, and Dell can't afford to provide poor warranty service.
I previously said I wanted to use one monitor/one keyboard/mouse with 2 computers but have about decided to have 2 monitors with one keyboard/mouse. I just need to find a new computer table. Should be able to find what I need on Craigslist. Last weekend I saw exactly what I wanted but I was too late, it was already sold. Good items that are priced good seem to sell fast on Craigslist.
Interesting switch, that.  Why would you want two monitors?  You can only look at one at a time, right?  (Unless you have uncorrected strabismus, but that would have led to amblyopia ex anopsia, so still only one monitor at a time would be useful.)  Once you get the hang of using KVM switches with one monitor, keyboard, and mouse it's really easy to switch 'puters.  Besides, how are you going to know what computer your mouse and keyboard is currently working with?  Maybe you just need one better monitor?
I need another monitor. Last winter when much of my things were stolen I bought a monitor at NFM at a good price. I should check Neweggs prices on monitors.
I've purchased quite a few monitors from Newegg over the years.  Their prices are very competitive, the service is quick, and I've yet to get one with stuck pixels or that's DOA.  Modern monitors display HD quality video on VGA, but I'm not sure this standard allows for the computer to know what the capabilities of the attached monitor are.  Here is a PS/2 IOGear D-Sub(VGA port) 2 port switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107418  And here is an IOGear USB D-Sub 2 port switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399056  Both have audio switching, which I think is imperative.  If you want DVI instead of D-Sub it'll cost you about 3 times as much just to be able to boot to the correct resolution without the computer being connected to the monitor during bootup.
I had to Google UPS to get the exact meaning (uninterruptible power supply or source) I heard it many times but until now I never took the time to check the meaning. A backup power supply is something I will be getting.
UPS's vary quite a bit in their capabilities and cost.  I've used APC's and CyberPower's, and I've had to recycle units from each company when they've gone bad.  Stick with APC if you can get the right one at a good price because I think they're more reliable.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

Yeah, the misappropriation of our state's abbreviation by illiterati from New England or the NorthEast.  Irks me.

We were here first!  :lol: You should be using NB.  :-P

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »
NB is New Brunswick.  Older than the bunch of ya!  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
Or you could use a netbook, and no UPS.
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
My next weather computer is going to be a Mini-ITX form factor computer. Passive cooling so no fans, solid state hard drive, once again no moving parts, all in the size of an external hard drive. VERY low power consumption so it will run a LONG time on a UPS.
http://www.mini-box.com/Mainboards-Mini-ITX

Just a thought.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

And here I thought everyone has referring to norepinephrine (NE)  :lol:
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
Or you could use a netbook, and no UPS.

+1  If you use a solid state drive it is super low power use.  I would only do this for a wx only PC.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
NB is New Brunswick.  Older than the bunch of ya!  :)

You had me reading... Nebraska used to be NB - {Wiki}} The USPS changed the abbreviation for the U.S. state of Nebraska from NB to NE in November 1969 to avoid a conflict with New Brunswick.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
NE now belongs to Nebraska and Nebraska Only!

Northeastern's, New Brunswick's, New Englandern's or anyone else such as this you are now forbidden to use it!

Should you disire to break this rule please keep it to a whisper!

Thank you for complying, it'll make you a happier person.

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
Neon is the chemical element that has the symbol Ne .

Oh look, how pretty.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:27 AM »
Our language's inherent ambiguity leads to some interesting debates doesn't it?  This problem has been around since the dawn of written languages, and will always be with us:  http://www.ancientscripts.com/chinese.html  We're just begging for trouble when we adopt acronymic forms consisting only of two capitals of our 26 letter alphabet.  We simply don't have enough letters to go around, but I don't think the Chinese solution works very well either.

That said, NE, as we have pointed out, belongs officially to Nebraska according to the USPS.  Others appropriate it at peril of the language police knocking ever more insistently and ever less politely on their doors. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
That said, NE, as we have pointed out, belongs officially to Nebraska according to the USPS.  Others appropriate it at peril of the language police knocking ever more insistently and ever less politely on their doors. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Realistically, I think the USPS' days are numbered.  It may be 5 or 10 years from now, but they will be a memory one of these days.  Then what?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »
Not related to abbreviations...Can anyone explain this one?
Kansas - Cans-Ass
Arkansas - Are-Can-Saw

Isnt Arkansas just a Kansas with an AR in front of it...  :-k

Andrew

ps: hmm, didnt someone just post something about threads cotangenting?

Our language's inherent ambiguity leads to some interesting debates doesn't it? 

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »
That said, NE, as we have pointed out, belongs officially to Nebraska according to the USPS.  Others appropriate it at peril of the language police knocking ever more insistently and ever less politely on their doors. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Realistically, I think the USPS' days are numbered.  It may be 5 or 10 years from now, but they will be a memory one of these days.  Then what?

Guess she'll have to find work elsewhere? (if USPS does go and another business replaces them I hope they develop, and use, a postal tracking system. :evil:)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:11:17 AM by DanS »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »
SHE could find work ANYWHERE!  :grin: Hey, I've got a job for her already!  :grin:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »
Ooops, I think we're diverting Marci's thread from it's original subject. Back to the help with a new P.C. topic. (by the way, just where is Lincoln, Neon anyway?)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »

Realistically, I think the USPS' days are numbered.  It may be 5 or 10 years from now, but they will be a memory one of these days.  Then what?

Then we can use the USCG letter system and Nebraska will, once again and as it should be, NB. :mrgreen:

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
Our language's inherent ambiguity leads to some interesting debates doesn't it?  This problem has been around since the dawn of written languages, and will always be with us:  http://www.ancientscripts.com/chinese.html  We're just begging for trouble when we adopt acronymic forms consisting only of two capitals of our 26 letter alphabet.  We simply don't have enough letters to go around, but I don't think the Chinese solution works very well either.

Interesting post on the Chinese writing system but you can always expect the best from NE

Marci Anna in Omaha, NE

Davis Vantage Vue

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:17 AM »
Not related to abbreviations...Can anyone explain this one?
Kansas - Cans-Ass

Cans'-us

Arkansas - Are-Can-Saw

Isnt Arkansas just a Kansas with an AR in front of it...  :-k

arc'-cans-us:  Kansas-1x

ps: hmm, didnt someone just post something about threads cotangenting?

Or perhaps arccotangenting:  cot-1x
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline camaswx

• CamasWX Camas Weather
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 02:06:39 PM »
Forgive me for diverting this back on topic  #-o
I have been using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220006 for nearly two years now and am still very happy with it. (This particular model is discontinued but new ones models have replaced it)
This runs 24/7 and consumes 20 watts or less and is nearly silent. These were the main reasons I decided to try one of these. The new ones use a similar processor but is dual-core and use more power (40 watts).
I only use this a a weather 'box' which is a good thing, this are not very speedy. It works fine for my purpose...weather. I had a spare flat panel monitor and a inexpensive wireless keyboard and mouse set I use with it (the keyboard and mouse it came with were crap IMO). It also is plugged into a UPS. I have used a KVM in the past but I changed to the wireless because it just works for me, if I need to access that system I just grab the keyboard and mouse bring it over. My KVM sometimes caused 'ghosting' (I could sometimes see the other desktop faintly on the monitor).    
I run Virtual VP, VWS, Cumulus and AVG anti-virus. CPU usage hovers between 12% and 20% steady, it get's some spikes up into the 60's sometimes, I think when it's building web pages. Otherwise it just sits there in it's corner quietly doing it's thing.
So if your intent it a system strictly for weather you may want to consider something like this. If you intend on using it with more demanding applications probably not.
B.T.W.  The only issue has been random BSOD's caused by the ser2pl.sys file associated with the serial to USB adapter. I have downgraded to a older version and seems to happen less frequently, none for a year now, but I tend to reboot it every couple of weeks.

You can see it back there on the right side of the pic.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:22:49 PM by camaswx »

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »

take out the "t" in the URL for a big image.

This is a self built quad core running Windows 7 64 bit maxed with 8GB Ram on the mother board.  I have several large internal drives and several large external drives.  It handles all my video editing chores and everything else I wish to throw at it.

I just installed my "weather cam"; it is a logitech 900? that everyone is fond of.  I have it USB cabled to this computer and running it with tincam software.  Maybe down the line I will get an IP cam that just sees the router.

Downstairs is a small Toshiba notebook--and I mean small-- I had to go 75% page view to get my weather site to display correctly on it.  It runs the data logging software and then sends on to the router upstairs.  Therefore one could call it the weather computer.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
I have been using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220006 for nearly two years now and am still very happy with it. (This particular model is discontinued but new ones models have replaced it)
This runs 24/7 and consumes 20 watts or less and is nearly silent. These were the main reasons I decided to try one of these. The new ones use a similar processor but is dual-core and use more power (40 watts).
I only use this a a weather 'box' which is a good thing, this are not very speedy. It works fine for my purpose...weather. I had a spare flat panel monitor and a inexpensive wireless keyboard and mouse set I use with it (the keyboard and mouse it came with were crap IMO). It also is plugged into a UPS. I have used a KVM in the past but I changed to the wireless because it just works for me, if I need to access that system I just grab the keyboard and mouse bring it over. My KVM sometimes caused 'ghosting' (I could sometimes see the other desktop faintly on the monitor).    
I run Virtual VP, VWS, Cumulus and AVG anti-virus. CPU usage hovers between 12% and 20% steady, it get's some spikes up into the 60's sometimes, I think when it's building web pages. Otherwise it just sits there in it's corner quietly doing it's thing.
So if your intent it a system strictly for weather you may want to consider something like this. If you intend on using it with more demanding applications probably not.
B.T.W.  The only issue has been random BSOD's caused by the ser2pl.sys file associated with the serial to USB adapter. I have downgraded to a older version and seems to happen less frequently, none for a year now, but I tend to reboot it every couple of weeks.

You can see it back there on the right side of the pic.

Basically the same Atom processor I want to use in my Mini-ITX box. I'll be using a fanless box and solid state hard drive. Power consumption should be around 10-12 watts. I do want a serial port.
Nice little box you have.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »

The nerve! ;)
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3