Author Topic: Auxiliary Power for GPS  (Read 2006 times)

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
Auxiliary Power for GPS
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
I know this is off topic, but I have always had great faith in the knowledge of WXForum's members.

I want to use my Garmin GPS in my employers vehicle, however there is no auxiliary receptacle, and I do not want to wire one in.  I am looking for a small rechargeable unit that will connect with a USB cord, or standard cigarette lighter style plug .  I would like to have enough power to last 10 or 12 hours.

Any suggestions?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
Re: Auxiliary Power for GPS
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
If you don't mind rather a large size, one thing that will clearly work is one of the booster pack/jump start things people sell.  Harbor Freight has one that is good enough, and on good sales drops well below $50.  From your point of view it is a lead-acid 12V battery of several ampere-hour capacity with a built-in automotive style 12-v accessory outlet and built-in 120V charger circuitry.  You could plug it it in at your house before need, carry it to your employer's vehicle, use it for the day, and carry it away.

A bit bigger physically than you might like, but a known solution.  My Garmin 855 uses about 125 to 200 mA on the 12V line, and batteries don't like deep discharge, so don't try a solution with much less than a couple of ampere-hour capacity at 12V.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »
Why dont you get a cheaper cigarette lighter inverter?
Like this one
http://www.nextag.com/Cobra-Electroncs-CPI-130-584840224/prices-html

Any phone charge with usb tip will charge your Garmin. Find a friend that had a blackberry or other phone with USB connector, and like me had to stop using when blackberry went from mini usb to micro usb.  I have 3 of them now that are useless.  But the problem with this is that the GPS goes into PC mode (if the charge is not exactly light wall wart, it thinks you have plugged into a pc).  There is a way by turning off and on that you can trick it back into map/nav mode. Had to do this when I unexcpectly ended up in Ft Lauderdale last year, and needed to drive 3 hours to Canaveral in a rental and i didnt have my window mount as I did not expect to be in a car on that trip.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:11:46 AM »
Why dont you get a cheaper cigarette lighter inverter?
Um, that would be because the OP said
in my employers vehicle, however there is no auxiliary receptacle,

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:26:46 AM »
I took aux recepticle as a standard home style plug found in vans/suv's.  When he said he wanted one with a cigarette lighter type, assumed he had a cigarette style recepticle.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »
I took aux recepticle as a standard home style plug found in vans/suv's.  When he said he wanted one with a cigarette lighter type, assumed he had a cigarette style recepticle.
On reflection, I think you understood correctly, and I wandered off into the mist.  Thanks for correcting me.

anything