Author Topic: Difference between WiFi Logger 1 & 2  (Read 1308 times)

Offline emergent

Difference between WiFi Logger 1 & 2
« on: June 27, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
I currently have a Vantage Pro2 Plus and a Wifi Logger 1. It has worked pretty reliably over the past few years. I just noticed there is a new version out. What are the differences between the two? The website doesn't have a comparison.

Offline BigAlT

Re: Difference between WiFi Logger 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »
“WiFiLogger may wish to add further here, but AIUI the main difference between WFL v1 and v2 is that v1 uses the ESP8266 module while v2 uses ESP32. ESP32 is a substantially beefed up version, with faster CPU, much more memory etc etc.

While v1 and v2 perform broadly similarly at present, v2/ESP32 offers much more headroom for adding new features in the future.”
 There is also a micro SD card slot for future enhancements.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »
Is there a noticeable difference in UI speed?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
I have both. Each installed in a Vantage Vue. I do not notice any appreciable difference in speed. Only got the V2 because of the Micro SD card slot and the promised upgrades. Possibly storage of historical data like the Meteobridge  Nano SD.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 04:40:41 AM »
I have both. Each installed in a Vantage Vue. I do not notice any appreciable difference in speed. Only got the V2 because of the Micro SD card slot and the promised upgrades. Possibly storage of historical data like the Meteobridge  Nano SD.

I am still thinking in what format store date on SD and then how to present this data :(
This can be weird question, but if you wish to allow WeatherLink PC, or Cumulus to download this data from SD card, then I have to make some kind of emulator, which will sense WeatherLink command to read archive memory and this command will not be send do console, but to emulator to take out data from SD card.

Other solution is to put data into SD card, then show it on charts.
I am preparing website for PHP&MySQL.
I could make SD card weather data to charts like this -> https://wifilogger.net/wflsql/arch.html

I have still problem which path take to make customers happy. In general enhanced capacity for logger is the first emulator solution.
On the other hand it will be easier for me to make second solution. Easier = simple = robust.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 04:50:00 AM »
I currently have a Vantage Pro2 Plus and a Wifi Logger 1. It has worked pretty reliably over the past few years. I just noticed there is a new version out. What are the differences between the two? The website doesn't have a comparison.

I have exchange main chip to ESP32 from ESP8266.
I still cant say if it was right. ESP8266 was marked as old when I have release WiFiLogger.
ESP8266 has more mature libraries. It is much easier to repair bugs in libraries etc.
ESP32 works on RTOS (Real Time Operating System) and on 2 cores. Reparing bugs in libraries it comes down to crying and waiting for a new lib release.
On the other hand ESP32 is better and has a future ahead of him.
WiFiLogger2 has also external watchdog chip. I think first WFL2 was without it, then all have it.
It is special chip which is monitoring working of ESP32 and reboot if it is necessary. Is has interval time about 3 minutes. So this 3 minutes should be maximum when WiFiLogger2 is out of order.
WatchDog chip is because I had feedback info from my client who said that he was needed to reboot WiFiLogger1 twice during the year. He is still happy with it, but I was able to make it better.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 04:54:18 AM »
Is there a noticeable difference in UI speed?
ESP32 was always working on 160MHz, but the newest firmware is 240MHz. It take little more power, so more heat. But in my opionion it is working better, so maybe I will stay with 240MHz.
It has double core, but because it is RTOS, so it has a few threads running, which are dividing MCU time.
Double core means there will be 2 operations simultaneously, but in practice it is not working like this.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »

For future applications, the WFL2 is certainly better. But I have been using the WFL1 for two years, it is uploading data to all possible clouds without problems