Author Topic: The antique, hand wrought, steam punk rotisserie  (Read 172 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.sloweather.com
The antique, hand wrought, steam punk rotisserie
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
I inherited this wrought iron cage rotisserie, a companion cradle rotisserie, and the Boston Gear 50:1 right angle gear box from my grandfather. For years I have sought an appropriate motor, and found on just this week with a FREE sign on it, the aftermath of a yard sale. It is the 1425 RPM motor and jack shaft and sheaves with eccentric cams from an old-school vibrating belt massager!

I removed the undriven sheave and replaced it with a 2.5" V belt sheave to drive the 7" one on the gear box input shaft. It all mounted to a small Santa Maria Style grill. The cage is a perfect fit between the uprights, like it was made to go there.

The total reduction is theoretically 315:1. The only new parts I have purchased are the 2.5" sheave, the V belt, 2 bronze bearings, 1 x 18" steel bar to fab the bearing cradles from, and some carriage bolts to bolt everything down.

Online vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: The antique, hand wrought, steam punk rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »
If you go with a 1:1 reduction, your barbecue will produce meat that flies off the bone...literally!!!!!  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: The antique, hand wrought, steam punk rotisserie
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Very nice !.....I wonder if it can handle a longer cage......there is a certain Illinois governor that we would like to slow roast.....

anything