Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139274 times)

Offline 10ACTony

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
No Luck.   Closed previous running and working ssServer and installed the new SkySpy.   Opened the monitor and after 25 minutes the readings still haven't updated.   The Last Packet Type has shown everything from Ping Received, to DSP Received, to RTC Packet Received but after 25+ minutes still no updated weather readings.  Rebooted and same behavior.  Any suggestions?

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

---
I stopped the SkySpy Server Service and closed the monitor.  I launched the ssServer instead this time and within 5 minutes it was filled with data.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Exactly the same here. Not hitting WU either. Last date of Update  is listed as Mar 26, 2014., but historical data is current up to the point the service was supposed to start logging.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:12:16 AM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline 10ACTony

//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
Beautiful work!   I could use my SQL Server Express local Dbase correct?

I have never used mySql but use MS SQL all the time at work and SQL Express.   The script file you provide won't work with these without some modificcation.  From my own research I found this

"I think, you can start mysql in ANSI mode and generate the scripts
with this standard which is ready to use in SQL server with no
modification. see the following page for more details:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_mode.html"

I know you are busy so please no hurry, but would you be able to provide this script so it's compatible for us with MS SQL ?   Thanks a ton.

Sorry, this app is MySQL-only right now.  There will be subtle differences between MySQL and other databases that I cannot support.  You could rewrite the source and support other databases fairly easily though.  Unfortunately, I am out of bandwidth right now :-)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »
Beautiful work!   I could use my SQL Server Express local Dbase correct?

I have never used mySql but use MS SQL all the time at work and SQL Express.   The script file you provide won't work with these without some modificcation.  From my own research I found this

"I think, you can start mysql in ANSI mode and generate the scripts
with this standard which is ready to use in SQL server with no
modification. see the following page for more details:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_mode.html"

I know you are busy so please no hurry, but would you be able to provide this script so it's compatible for us with MS SQL ?   Thanks a ton.

I really don't know.  I am very familiar with MySQL but not other databases. Please note that there are some serious problems with the current release and external databases.  I advise using either my MySQL database server or Embedded mode right now.

I am working on a simplified version of SkySpyService that can work on a MySQL database schema that is not as complex as the original design.  The current schema is designed to be fairly hacker-proof and is not a good paradigm for wide distribution.

The embedded design is designed for wide distribution.  Use that mode for now,  and I promise great things for the more sophisticated users in the near future.

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to get something useful out for wide distribution as soon as possible.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:57 AM »
No Luck.   Closed previous running and working ssServer and installed the new SkySpy.   Opened the monitor and after 25 minutes the readings still haven't updated.   The Last Packet Type has shown everything from Ping Received, to DSP Received, to RTC Packet Received but after 25+ miWnutes still no updated weather readings.  Rebooted and same behavior.  Any suggestions?

Hmm.  It should start working within 5 minutes or so.  What wasn't updating?  WU?  You do need to run the setup in the new SkySpy monitor and configure your WU Station ID, Etc.  Did you do that?

If you are seeing packet updates in the new Monitor then things are working perfectly.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:33 AM »

Hmm.  It should start working within 5 minutes or so.  What wasn't updating?  WU?  You do need to run the setup in the new SkySpy monitor and configure your WU Station ID, Etc.  Did you do that?

If you are seeing packet updates in the new Monitor then things are working perfectly.

No data at all either on the current data page or anything in the remote database. The last update for WU and Sensor never changes and is back in March on mine so it's not even the last data from the the old server program. But the data that was equivalent to the old debug data (showing different packets and times) did change.  Running on old server now.  Willing to try anything and get you whatever data you need,  real time if necessary.  I did do the setup in the service.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:54:30 AM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »
I could use my SQL Server Express local Dbase correct?

Sorry... Almost certainly not.  SkySpy uses TCP/IP to communicate with MySQL in its native format. 

I don't use any sort of database-agnostic layer like ODBC, so you are pretty much stuck with either the built-in embedded server or a full up MySQL installation.  I did this for performance reasons as there can be several million records to muck through at a given time. ODBC or name-your-favorite "anydac" layer between the app and its data can really slow things down.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
No Luck.   Closed previous running and working ssServer and installed the new SkySpy.   Opened the monitor and after 25 minutes the readings still haven't updated.   The Last Packet Type has shown everything from Ping Received, to DSP Received, to RTC Packet Received but after 25+ minutes still no updated weather readings.  Rebooted and same behavior.  Any suggestions?

So are you saying the sensor readings do not show up in the Monitor notebook tab, Weather Underground or both?  Have you configured the WU settings?  Have you tried using Embedded mode? 

If the Monitor shows "SDP Received" every 5 minutes or so in the Last Packet Type field, then SkySpyService is working fine.

SkySpy was built and tested on Win7-64 Pro.

You should see something like this:

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
No data at all either on the current data page or anything in the remote database. The last update for WU and Sensor never changes and is back in March on mine so it's not even the last data from the the old server program. But the data that was equivalent to the old debug data (showing different packets and times) did change.  Running on old server now.  Willing to try anything and get you whatever data you need,  real time if necessary.  I did do the setup in the service.

Try opening SkySpy.ini, found in your install directory using Notepad.  Let me know if anything looks funny.  Send it to me via private mail and I will check it out.

What mode are you trying to use?  Embedded or Full database?

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
I re-installed the program this morning and re-entered all the info, and today it's working like a champ.  I'm glad it happened to someone else because I couldn't figure out where I went wrong.  Non-embedded and WU working like a champ today. :grin:   =D>
//
//

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
Boy am I the unlucky one :-) 

I uninstalled and rebooted and then re-installed. Same symptom.  Unfortunately for me the only fields that update under the Service Readings tab are the Last Packet Type and Last Packet Time.  They cycle through the Ping Received, SDP Received, and RTD Packer retrieved items.   The Last WX Data and Last WU Update Date fields have a static value from 3/26/2014.  Not sure where it gets this from as I only just installed my PWS last week and configured it for SServer shortly there after.   Even though the readings never update (besides the packet type and type fields as mentioned above) I did proceed to configure WU.  Yet,  WU never gets any updates.   Also of note the Use Embedded MsSQL box is checked and all the other values below it are the defaults.  Did look over the INI file but nothing looks out of wack to me anyways.   I'm stumped.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:36:01 PM by markmanxp »

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
Boy am I the unlucky one :-) 

I uninstalled and rebooted and then re-installed. Same symptom.  Unfortunately for me the only fields that update under the Service Readings tab are the Last Packet Type and Last Packet Time.  They cycle through the Ping Received, SDP Received, and RTD Packer retrieved items.   The Last WX Data and Last WU Update Date fields have a static value from 3/26/2014.  Not sure where it gets this from as I only just installed my PWS last week and configured it for SServer shortly there after.   Even though the readings never update (besides the packet type and type fields as mentioned above) I did proceed to configure WU.  Yet,  WU never gets any updates.   Also of note the Use Embedded MsSQL box is checked and all the other values below it are the defaults.  Did look over the INI file but nothing looks out of wack to me anyways.   I'm stumped.

Check the in file in the install folder.  I uninstalled last night , then this AM I saw the message from skydvrz about the in file.  It was still in the folder even after it was uninstalled, and it still had the defaults for the server.  Make sure your login info is correct at the bottom of the file.  Today everything was there to support my installation.  Worth a check.

;-)

Tony
//
//

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
Howdy!  thanks. Yep I even renamed that file  and stopped / started the service and restarted the sky monitor and it rebuilt this file from scratch.

In the most simple terms, I followed the instructions and installed the application.  I launched the monitor and it never populates the data even after 30 minutes of waiting. There is no configuration to mess with being the GW was configured and working with ss server so nothing had to be done there.   But yes I did proceed to configure the WU login info and it does show in the ini file but again technically the monitor should still be showing me data and it isn't which would also explain to me why WU isn't getting any data either.   Yet the Last Packet Type and Last Packet Time continue to show it's communicating with the gw to some degree.  I'm confused and need a drink  ](*,)  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:18:48 PM by markmanxp »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
The Last WX Data and Last WU Update Date fields have a static value from 3/26/2014.

That is the date/time that I wrote that code.  In a future release, I will blank those fields until some actual data comes in.

Even though the readings never update (besides the packet type and type fields as mentioned above) I did proceed to configure WU.

The way it is supposed to work is that the Last Packet Type and date should update every 30 seconds or so.  This is the Gateway and SkySpyService chatting together. 

If readings are not appearing in SkySpy Monitor after an SDP packet is detected, then something is probably wrong with your settings that causes an internal error in SkySpyService.

The SDP packet event should update your Monitor screen sensor values fields.

Note that if you are successfully updating Weather Underground, then you don't need to run Monitor at all.  All of the smarts are in SkySpyService - the part that runs behind the scenes in Windows.

Did look over the INI file but nothing looks out of wack to me anyways.

Send me your ini file and I will test it and get back to you.  You can change your Wunderground password afterwards if you are paranoid :-) 

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »
I'll  get the ini to you shortly but note that besides the issue with monitor not updating WU is NOT receiving data / updating.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2014, 03:28:36 PM »
Howdy!  thanks. Yep I even renamed that file  and stopped / started the service and restarted the sky monitor and it rebuilt this file from scratch.
Watch out - SkySpy will fill in all default values for your settings if you delete this file.  Default settings WILL NOT WORK.  Settings are NOT imported from previous SkySpy versions!

So, go back and look at all of your settings - something is probably sideways. 

Yet the Last Packet Type and Last Packet Time continue to show it's communicating with the gw to some degree. 

Make sure you click the Ok button on the setup screen, not the Cancel or "red X".  Settings are only saved if you click OK.

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
What settings are we talking about?  WU settings?  Use Embedded MySql settings?  Something else?   I am using Use Embedded MySQL and all the values are their defaults and according to the docs not used while in this mode.   Besides this to get the monitor to show / receive data there aren't really any settings (the GW was already configured)

I just just ran the installer which installed the service and then ran the sky monitor.  It should just start receiving data to at least show me its working by 15_ minutes, as you know.  Which it isn't besides the Last Packet Type an Last Packet Times.  It  I did setup WU for beeps and giggles but it too isn't getting data. (sorry if i'm repeating myself)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:04:12 PM by markmanxp »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
You should step through all the settings and make sure they are appropriate for your system.

The WU settings will definitely not work when using defaults.  You must insure that your station ID is correct and that your WU password did not get munged by the SkySpy spell checker.

If you are using Embedded mode, then there are not too many ways to mess things up. In Full-MySQL there are lots of ways to die :-)

Embedded mode does not use Hostname, Username, Password or Port.  It does need the schema name set to "weather".

If you are using my MySQL server, make sure that your database password does not get spellchecked/"fixed" by SkySpy.  You have to "sneak up" on the password field to make sure the spellchecker does not capitalize the first letter, fix spelling, Etc.

I will fix the password spell check problem soon.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Important Note!

You cannot run both ssServer v1.1 and the new SkySpyService v1.2.0.X at the same time.  They will fight over TCP/IP port 8000 and stop working.

Make sure you nuke the old version before trying to install the new version because the installer launches SkySpyService immediately.  The service will never be able to grab port 8000 until you kill the old program and restart your PC (or manually restart the service).

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »
Important Note!

You cannot run both ssServer v1.1 and the new SkySpyService v1.2.0.X at the same time.  They will fight over TCP/IP port 8000 and stop working.

Make sure you nuke the old version before trying to install the new version because the installer launches SkySpyService immediately.  The service will never be able to grab port 8000 until you kill the old program and restart your PC (or manually restart the service).

Just exiting the old server should kill it right, no need to reboot before installing the new service.

I want to say that is what I did last night, but thinking about it makes me wonder if I didn't stop the server until just after installing the new service.  If so, would that be why the ini file still had your defaults in it this morning???  But I did see the last packet (ping RTC and SDP) displayed with the correct time, so the service must have been running, right??
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:03:00 PM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
Howdy!  For the sake of troubleshooting I like to remove all the extra overhead.  Back to the basics.   I'm not worried about WU.   I'm also just using the embedded dbase.  I'm not concerned about any other configuration options..   So without those in the picture the question then remains is why after installation and no extra configuration does the monitor still not update the fields (besides the packet fields) - which would show me its working fully.   Without concerning the other funciontaility (wu and other dbases (mySql)) what other settings can I really check? 

The service is apparently getting the data because the monitor does show the last packet fields and.

From your PM.   No I am not running both versions at the same time.   I wish it was that easy :-)  When trying to use the new service I have never tried to run the ssServer also or vice versa.    WU might show the old ssServer still being used because last night after trying and failing to get the new version working I disabled the service and restarted SsServer.  SsServer continues to work (showing me the data with the ssServer app and pushing my data to WU).  But no when I've installed or tried to work with the new app ssServer has never been running. Hope that makes sense.   For now I have disabled the new service and closed the monitor and relaunched ssServer so I could get some data flowing back up to WU.  Rains moving in :-0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:50:03 PM by markmanxp »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Just exiting the old server should kill it right, no need to reboot before installing the new service.

That should do it, but if you have the old server in your startup folder, it will give you no end of grief.  ZIP or delete the install directory for the old server.

I want to say that is what I did last night, but thinking about it makes me wonder if I didn't stop the server until just after installing the new service.  If so, would that be why the ini file still had your defaults in it this morning??? 

Running the old server may have caused the Service to hang, since it gets launched immediately by the Installer.  I have to do that to complete the installation.

The Service creates a new, all-defaults INI if it can't find one in the install directory.  This default INI file puts you into embedded mode, shuts off both WU updates and the mini-web site.

I leave the SkySpy.INI file in the installation folder after a de-install, in case you want to retain your settings and reinstall later.  I also leave the embedded database files in place - it was too complicated deleting them after a de-install, but I may change that in a future release.

It is also possible that if the service hangs and you try to re-install or un-install, then it might not get unloaded properly and bad things might happen.  You can kill a hung Service with the process manager.  You can also manually uninstall Service by opening a command line box, CD'ing to the installation directory and entering:

SkySpyService -uninstall

You should see a little dialog box pop up that indicates success.

You can also manually install the service by doing the same steps as above, but entering

SkySpyService -install

You only need to do this if you don't want to run the entire installation EXE and the Service is not listed in the Windows Service manager.

It is much easier to just run the installer or deinstall from the Windows Programs screen.

Something strange is going on...  It is working fine for me here.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
From your PM.   No I am not running both versions at the same time. 

Very weird.  What version of Windows are you running? Sorry if you told me before - its been a long day.

Rains moving in :-0

I wish I had your weather!  It seems like it never stops raining here in the Pacific Northwest.  We get about 60 days of *dry* weather a year here.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »

I want to say that is what I did last night, but thinking about it makes me wonder if I didn't stop the server until just after installing the new service.  If so, would that be why the ini file still had your defaults in it this morning???  But I did see the last packet (ping RTC and SDP) displayed with the correct time, so the service must have been running, right??

I tried the above, just to try to figure out what happened last night.  - I uninstalled the service, started ssServer, waited until it updated the first time then installed the service, and after it was installed stopped  ssServer. I did the configuration and saved it.  Nothing ever showed up in last packet type or time.

Manually started the service.  Now last packet time and type update but service readings and times are NOT updating just like last night.  I saw two SDP displayed in Type  as well as noticed the greem light blink on the gateway.  I looked at the skyspy.ini file and everything in there is the default, so they DID NOT save my configuration.  Stopped Monitor and restarted checked configuration in monitor, everything is correct, but the ini is still at the defaults.  I made a backup of the  the working ini file and now copied it to skyspy.ini.  Stopped the service and restarted.  Everything is now working normally again.

=D>    =D>    =D>    =D>

skydvrz must be keeping the configuration for monitor in the registery and the configuration for the service in the ini file.  Does that make sense K?

Clicking OK on the Setup screen doesn't always seem to save the changes if any.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:33:08 PM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
Everything is now working normally again.

=D>    =D>    =D>    =D>

I think you found it Tony - you can't run ssServer while installing the new version or bad things will happen.

skydvrz must be keeping the configuration for monitor in the registery and the configuration for the service in the ini file. 

No, they both share the INI file.  It might get locked open if you run both old/new programs at the same time - or it might be a directory rights issue with writing files into the Program Files folder tree.  I am admin on my Win7 box, you may not be on your computer.

Clicking OK on the Setup screen doesn't always seem to save the changes if any.

I have not seen that on a properly installed Service/Monitor setup.  Not that it couldn't happen :-)