Weather Software > Cumulus

Installed CumulusMX in PC running VWS, can not boot to safe mode

(1/8) > >>

dbolt:
I installed CumulusMX on a PC that has been successfully running VWS for many years.  I answered the initial pages of Cumulus setup questions and restarted the PC, as instructed on the initial DOS-like Cumulus popup. As the PC reboots, I see a popup indicating no signal, followed by a blinking cursor.  I've soft-booted several times and cold-booted with F8 key depressed to boot into safe mode, with plans to edit MSConfig or taskmgr to prevent VWS from loading.  But, I am unsuccessful in getting the PC to boot into safe mode.  I also tried holding F8 and F2 down.  Same affect.

Advice would be most appreciated.

doug

mcrossley:
When you say "installed" Cumulus MX, what exactly do you mean?

Installing CMX is just copying the files to somewhere on your system, then running the CumulusMX.exe from a command line.
Once you are happy everything is working OK, you can then install it as a System Service - have you done that?

After the initial configuration Cumulus tells you to restart the Cumulus MX program, not your PC.

Cumulus does not alter any system files, it is a standalone executable so it's hard to see how it is preventing you PC from booting.

dbolt:
To install, I downloaded the program and extracted the .zip into C:\CumulusMX\.  Then, as directed by the Cumulus popup, I entered localhost:8998 and answered several pages of questions about my preferred settings and my weather station (Davis VP1).  I then, as you point out, I messed up by restarting the PC rather than restarting CumulusMX after reading the restart instruction in the popup.

Now, when I try a soft boot (Ctrl-Alt-Delete), I see a popup on the lower right of the screen indicating no signal detected.  I don't know what that means, but I assumed it meant that no data was on Com6 (the USB port where the USB to Serial adapter provided date to VWS).  After the no signal popup closes, I see a blinking cursor towards the upper left of the screen.  F8 after either a soft boot or after unplugging does not cause the PC to safe boot, just the blinking cursor.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

box:

--- Quote from: dbolt on August 08, 2021, 01:09:04 PM ---To install, I downloaded the program and extracted the .zip into C:\CumulusMX\.  Then, as directed by the Cumulus popup, I entered localhost:8998 and answered several pages of questions about my preferred settings and my weather station (Davis VP1).  I then, as you point out, I messed up by restarting the PC rather than restarting CumulusMX after reading the restart instruction in the popup.

Now, when I try a soft boot (Ctrl-Alt-Delete), I see a popup on the lower right of the screen indicating no signal detected.  I don't know what that means, but I assumed it meant that no data was on Com6 (the USB port where the USB to Serial adapter provided date to VWS).  After the no signal popup closes, I see a blinking cursor towards the upper left of the screen.  F8 after either a soft boot or after unplugging does not cause the PC to safe boot, just the blinking cursor.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

--- End quote ---
sounds to me that 'no signal detected'is a report from your monitor that it isn't receiving information from the pc

This has happened to me on occasion, and in most cases something had gone wrong with the boot order, and the pc was waiting to boot from a nonexistent source like a USB device or was unable to locate a Windows installation (boot order changed to a data only disc rather than the one with an OS on it)

To check you will need to restart the pc and get into the bios (depends on manufacturer but it's usually press delete or f12 key) there is usually a message as it starts

Check the boot order and that it correctly goes to the disc with windows on it
If you don't change anything you won't make it worse, but if the order is wrong you can correct it, save and restart

Hope that helps

If it doesn't you will need a recovery disc/USB to boot from (and you'll need to change the boot order in bios to boot from it)

box:
A further thing to check is that the pc power supply hasn't failed ..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version