Web Weather > Weather Web Site Help

POLL: What hosting provider do you recommend for a PWS

(1/12) > >>

galfert:
I can't possibly name every hosting company out there as there are hundreds. I tried to come up with a list of the popular ones. I may have missed a popular one. If that is the case please select Other and let use know in a post. If you feel I really missed a big popular choice mention that bellow in a post and I can edit the voting poll and include it.

I've also made it so that you can enter in two votes. Perhaps you can enter your current provider and whom you think you are thinking about switching to. Or you can name two providers that you feel are worthy of recommending. You can of course just vote for one. And you can come back and change your vote at any time as I've allowed that feature. UPDATE: You can't change your vote as once the poll has been edited there is SMF bug that then breaks the ability to change your vote.

I'm getting ready to put up my own personal weather website. I'm an IT person but as I deal in the corporate world and money is no object I'm just used to dealing with the big dogs, GoDaddy and Amazon. A personal weather website is a different matter which I'd like input on.

Please share your thoughts as to which hosting company you'd recommend and maybe even mention which plan you are on. This is mostly intended to cover the shared infrastructure plans and not dedicated IP and dedicated VPS.

It seems that seemingly all hosting companies will provide the required building blocks to set up a weather website; php, SQL, SSH, FTP...etc. If you know of any issues please share. Also let keep these comments to recent events as I've read that companies like Bluehost for example may have had a bad wrap but have recently upgraded their infrastructure and now provide better uptime and better performance. If one of the listed choices in this voting poll does not allow a required function I would not want to stray people into thinking that they can use it for a weather website so let me know if you really feel it needs to be addressed and then I'll remove it as a choice.

TIP: As I IT professional I recommend keeping your domain name registration with a large company. You can register a domain with one company and host it with different company. If the hosting company goes belly up, no big deal as you just restore it from backup with someone else. If the registrar goes belly up then you can be SOL and it can turn into a real nightmare.

txweather.org:
Dreamhost, While they are on the expensive side their support is amazing. Also they give you granularity to no end and their VPS is super awesome.

AWL:
MDD Hosting has served me well.

Doug

Bashy:
Bashys Hosting  oh, wait, thats me :roll: ;) \:D/

ValentineWeather:
I have GoDaddy and can't recommend at all. Good support but way too expensive for a hobby. They sent me an email yesterday suggesting I'm maxed out (What? thought I was unlimited ) and I should upgrade to a business account. Hell will freeze over before that happens. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version