Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10203 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« on: December 23, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Trending across the nation, many are dropping cable TV and satellite for streaming services link Sling, PSVue and  Directv Now which just started but very buggy.

I've checked out PSVue most extensively and currently giving DTVN a trial. PSVU has been solid performer with almost no issues for couple months so dumped Directv satellite for $80 month savings.
The cloud DVR works pretty well my only complaint some of the programming FF isn't allowed so stuck with commercials. One of my favorite channels AHC American Heroes Channel...FF isn't allowed.

Problem with all these streaming services is local networks are limited so depends on where you live. Without over the air antenna (OTA) or alternative cheap source you may miss out on live sporting events especially CBS along with specials like music awards etc.

Vue does offer most all sports channels plus NFL channel, Redzone, all ESPN channels, FOX sports channels which may be sufficient even if you don't get networks you can use the network sports apps (ABC,NBC,FOX) and watch live college games including NFL MNF and TNF. 

PSVue bundles network programming (minus CBS no contract but available separately through CBS) on cloud DVR for on demand availability so most everything is watchable the next day minus specials and sporting events. I personally don't watch network programming except sports and specials so have little use.

If you decide to try any of these services the FireTV box works best for PSVue. They run about $70 on Amazon. PSVue allows 5 streams per account and each steam needs minimum 5-6 Mbps for headroom so preferably no data cap because terabyte of data could be used monthly with heavy usage.

Anyway this is the new trend, Dish lost 440K subs and this number was offset by Sling also owned by Dish so satellite side really took a hit. Baby boomers going into retirement are tired of $130+ cable and satellite TV bills  for channels they don't watch and millennials just refuse to pay or can't afford rates this high. Things are changing rapidly when it comes to TV transmission.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Those aren't cord cutters, they're plug switchers.  Changing from  one service to another but still watching the same basic programming.

I'm a cord cutter.  I turned it off completely and don't watch any programming at all anymore.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
I haven't used cable for TV in years.  I just have cable in Texas for fast internet.

We have DirecTV via satellite on the farm in Nebraska.  I don't watch it much there, either, but I do use DirecTVs streaming feature occasionally from Texas.  I might buy DirecTVs streaming box for Texas is the price is right, but for now I just use ChromeCast to get it up on the big TV.

I do most of my TV watching through streaming... Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.  OTA is a backup.

Netflix is the only one I pay for.  I only watch the "free" stuff on Amazon that comes with Amazon Prime, so in a way I guess I'm paying for that, but it doesn't seem like it.

I also use "FreeTelly" from time to time, usually to pick up something from network TV that I might have missed that isn't up on the "legitimate" streaming sites yet.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:54:11 PM »
Cut the cord about a year ago. Saved myself $100 a month. Have Time Warner or Spectum
or whatever they're called now for internet only.

Got a good HD antenna which gets me 41 channels over the air. Fed that into a powers amp splitter
which sends the signals to 3 tv's in the house.

A Channel Master DVR+ with built in guide and recording capabilities.

A Roku 3 & a Nexus Player which I get Hulu, Netflix and a bunch of apps on.

PSVue is supposed to be good and SlingTV is getting better. I've not tried either.
There are a bunch of OTT aps coming this spring. Google is also joining the fray and I think apple too.

You think cable companies would have smartened up by now. Usually around 3-500,000 less cable subscribers a quarter
during 2016. And if you've ever visited Reddit.com, lots of really good cordcutting info. Helped me get 20 more channels on my antenna.

Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:56:10 PM by CNYWeather »
Tony

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
With no cable here  we  have direct TV  only  and it was marginal  getting it in. The bird only 10 degrees off the horizon  so it's marginal at best  and took a lot of tree cutting to open up path  to get the signal in range that Direct TV wanted for installing. Open air TV from out of Fairbanks is an joke. 3 stations and nothing on them and in bad weather  no signal at all. The new digital stuff just  don't bounce around like the old analog signals did.

John

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »
I've got a Winegard HD-8800 UHF antenna hooked to 4 TVs with a RCA preamp, and get everything that is available OTA in the eastern part of NC. I get the Wilmington signals, plus the Greenville/New Bern towers. I get two of every major network,(except CBS - this will change Jan 1) and three PBS tower duplicates. I can also watch 2 CW's, Cozi TV, Me TV, 2 Bounce TV's, Escape, ION, QVC, HSN, GET TV, Decades, MOVIES!, This TV, Grit TV, Antenna TV, Heroes/Icons, Retro TV, Fam TV, MyTV. I can also pull up the Raleigh and Myrtle Beach stations at times if I rotate the antenna. I took off the rotor though after Matthew, since I really don't mess with it like I did when analog tv was broadcasting. I am planning to put a second combo antenna up pointing toward Raleigh eventually just for kicks.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »
My net connection isn't capable of streaming reliably, so I have Dish and I started with the lowest package, but needed NASCAR so had to (naturally) go up a step and they want $95 a month with all included, I said NO WAY. So, every few months I call and threaten to quit and they give me a credit, normally for 4 or 6 months, but this last time they went for 10 months, so they're feeling the pinch I think. If it weren't for old reruns I'd cut it off. Very little of today's programming is of interest to me. I'd go to Direct, but now they're owned by AT&T and to get a deal you have to have something AT&T and I don't and won't.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »
Steve I know the feeling you want Foxports 1 for NASCAR and can only get it in Top 120. If you could stream the access slim on PSVue is $30 month and has what you need. Keep Dish with minimum package for locals if you can't get them on antenna. 
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:33 PM »
Cut the cord about a year ago. Saved myself $100 a month. Have Time Warner or Spectum

Got a good HD antenna which gets me 41 channels over the air. Fed that into a powers amp splitter

PSVue is supposed to be good and SlingTV is getting better. I've not tried either.
There are a bunch of OTT aps coming this spring. Google is also joining the fray and I think apple too.

You think cable companies would have smartened up by now. Usually around 3-500,000 less cable subscribers a quarter
during 2016. And if you've ever visited Reddit.com, lots of really good cordcutting info. Helped me get 20 more channels on my antenna.

Enjoy!!
Tony I beg to differ about the cable companies. They are in the driver seat. Everyone is cutting the cord to cable TV but not the internet. That is where they gotcha. Right now Comcast gives us 1TB of data per month included in the service. Eventually that is going to go down and they are going to jack up the price for the internet only service. With all that streaming that data is going to start to add up. Guess what, now you have to pay more for going over your limit.
The key is to be able to tap in to that pipeline that carries the internet. Of course there is a fee for that but I think you'll eventually see smaller internet only companies spring up to give the big boys competition.
My self I just watch old sitcoms and nothing new other then maybe Big Bang so cutting the cord wouldn't really save me too much.
However my brother did buy a jail broken Firestick for $70 and now he gets all the NFL games. I might have to check that out.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 06:08:35 AM »
Steve I know the feeling you want Foxports 1 for NASCAR and can only get it in Top 120. If you could stream the access slim on PSVue is $30 month and has what you need. Keep Dish with minimum package for locals if you can't get them on antenna.

Nascar was the only reason i kept cable. I got FS1 and NBCSN logins using my sisters cable credentials.
There are other ways with Kodi, but this is kinda sorta legal.
Tony

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 06:12:10 AM »

Enjoy!!
Tony I beg to differ about the cable companies. They are in the driver seat. Everyone is cutting the cord to cable TV but not the internet. That is where they gotcha. Right now Comcast gives us 1TB of data per month included in the service. Eventually that is going to go down and they are going to jack up the price for the internet only service. With all that streaming that data is going to start to add up. Guess what, now you have to pay more for going over your limit.
The key is to be able to tap in to that pipeline that carries the internet. Of course there is a fee for that but I think you'll eventually see smaller internet only companies spring up to give the big boys competition.
My self I just watch old sitcoms and nothing new other then maybe Big Bang so cutting the cord wouldn't really save me too much.
However my brother did buy a jail broken Firestick for $70 and now he gets all the NFL games. I might have to check that out.

Yes true. Comcast has GOTCHA I guess. If I had to deal with a data cap also i'd be in trouble.

I have read of many towns and cities doing their own internet service due to all
the issues with the big companies like Comcast & Spectrum.

We'll see if any of that changes with the FCC after January 20th.  :-P

Tony

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
I've got a Winegard HD-8800 UHF antenna hooked to 4 TVs with a RCA preamp,

I took mine down, folded it up and stashed it in the garage rafters.  Disconnected all the cabling to it and the rotator.

I tried to go the OTA route, but there were far too many commercials.  And they would regularly modify the schedule for local kiddie sports, etc., so I could never count on the program guide to be accurate.

I have a few hundred hours of OTA programming of classic TV shows that I've never watched.  I'll keep them in case I decide to at some point.  Right now, the TV isn't even hooked up to any of the computers

I also have quite a number of classic TV show DVDs that have never been opened, still sealed in shrink wrap.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
I can see cable industry fighting back with data caps but results could have an even more negative effect.
People will just stop watching altogether or severely cut back.

We have little control over cost of living, many having stagnate incomes over the past decade are losing ground.
This is one thing the individual can control, results are cable and satellite industry are feeling the push back first which eventually hits the entertainment industry just as hard.

Its their own fault with 5-10% rate hikes yearly, far surpassing cost of living increases. I pulled out my cable bill of 11 years ago I was paying $72 and its doubled to almost $140 now. My income surly hasn't doubled being retired now its went down drastically. 
Randy

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
Take that one step further, I live on SS, we didn't get a raise this year and next year we get a whopping 0.3% increase which in my case is $6 and Medicare goes up more than that so they zero out. However, my water company jacked me $40 on top of already high rates, as you say, no control. So, I cut XM radio I had for 10 years, I beat on Dish periodically, I have a flip cell phone for emergencies at $108 per year, I cut Vonage at $33 a month and went to MajicJack (which I really don't like) I'm with the cheapest ISP I can find out here in the country etc. So it ain't fun trying to keep it all together. If it weren't for original Star Trek reruns, Diagnosis Murder and a few others, I would probably shut down Dish and just read about NASCAR.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »
I used to have Directv, but when "high def" came out, their price skyrocketed. It wasn't long after that, I cut them off. I have the Spectrum bundle, and it is going up at a rapid rate. If I have to cut it off, I will have a back-up. I have no experience with the streaming boxes, but I am about ready to try it...

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
Take that one step further, I live on SS, we didn't get a raise this year and next year we get a whopping 0.3% increase which in my case is $6 and Medicare goes up more than that so they zero out. However, my water company jacked me $40 on top of already high rates, as you say, no control. So, I cut XM radio I had for 10 years, I beat on Dish periodically, I have a flip cell phone for emergencies at $108 per year, I cut Vonage at $33 a month and went to MajicJack (which I really don't like) I'm with the cheapest ISP I can find out here in the country etc. So it ain't fun trying to keep it all together. If it weren't for original Star Trek reruns, Diagnosis Murder and a few others, I would probably shut down Dish and just read about NASCAR.
We're on a (very) limited income.   Living in a rural area and bought a puppy, er, bundle from Dishnetwork/Centurystink several years ago.  We are out of the contract period so can move/do what we want to so leaving ins't a problem in that regard.  BUT...Centurystink dsl is the only game in town for internet.  They provide us an incredible top speeds of 1.5Mbps up and .25Mbps down.  Supposedly the switches at the telco's switching station that we tie into are only capable of 1.5Mbps so the investment doesn't warrant the return for them (or so I'm told).  The 1.5Mbps download speed is very marginal for streaming anything, especially if a grasshopper decides to sit on the phone line and take a crap.  Youtube works pretty good through my BluRay player and I can connect to some of the "apps" but things other than Youtube kind of get choppy. 

There are a few series shows that we dvr...some from the broadcast networks and some from the cable networks, my wife has some Christian programs that she watches often, and I tend to sit in front of the flat screen when college football is playing.  Those are our most often watched shows. 

Our OTA reception here is great.  I can get all broadcast networks and sub-channels with an 8-bay Channel Master antenna and mast-top amplifier.    Or at least I could a year or two ago before my wife had a problem with some pruning shears and the coax cable...I just haven't felt like crawling back under the house...yet.<sigh>

If I could get a faster internet connection I wouldn't hesitate to cut Dish out...there are options to Dish's dvr...but ya gotta have some speed.  I dunno, maybe there's a way around our slow-speed internet...  :neutral:

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
With Vue you need at least 5-6Mbps. Directv currently is streaming at 2.5-3 Mbps. Streams are AC3 or (Mpeg4, H.264) at 720P. Looks good on my Sony that does a good job of upscaling.

If anyone has the bandwidth there is a 7 day trial of PSvue. They have PC/Mac viewing now if you don't have any hardware, I think you could even chrome cast to TV if available. Other devices FireTv, Roku, maybe Appletv, and of course PS3 or 4 will work also.

I have the $45 package on Vue its $10 more if Local networks are available.
My locals are out of Sioux Falls so nothing being streamed.

Directv Now has 7 day trial also works with chrome also $35 introductory offer (locked in) on Big Package but no cloud DVR yet plus lots of other issues like lip sync, freezes etc. but has a few more channels. Freeze issue has cleared up recently and it should get better being its only been out 3 weeks.
Randy

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 11:16:07 AM »
Intheswamp,

Just get a barrel connector and a couple of fittings to fix the cut until you can replace the whole line. Don't forget to unplug power from the amp though until after the repair is made.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »
I have Directv and will keep it because of Sunday Ticket. I know I can watch games online but they are behind the chat on the Chiefs forum. Sometimes 2-3 plays. I like DTV.

doubt I will ever get rid of it. Picture to me is far and above what I have seen locally from Comcast.

My only problem with streaming services is I feel like I HAVE TO sit and watch, pay attention. I like the leisureness of TV. Yeah, sounds weird.

I do not have a home phone anymore. You may remember my internet/phone issues at the new house.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »
Intheswamp,

Just get a barrel connector and a couple of fittings to fix the cut until you can replace the whole line. Don't forget to unplug power from the amp though until after the repair is made.
Well, when she saw she had cut a wire she "just scooted" the cut end back through the foundation vent...so now I've gotta crawl back under there to see what's what...and I don't crawl as well as I used to.<sigh>  Ah well, there's a couple of things under there that I need to check on so I'll probably be doing that soon.

A big thanks for the mention of unplugging the power for the amp...just went and checked and it was still plugged up.  I'm not sure if that has hurt anything or not, being as it's been powered for over a year like that.<groan>  I should've already done that, and me being a HAM.  No excuse.  Thanks again for that reminder!!!

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »
Since I retired I've thought about giving up cable many times after opening my cable bill.
But I really enjoy watching sports and all the science and nature shows.
I don't play golf anymore and I don't own a boat or a motorcycle anymore either.
So I feel I am entitled to spend a little more on something I enjoy.

I want to be able to watch what I want when I want to watch it.
My TIVO gives me that option.

For me, it's worth it.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
In the past I've considered building a home theater pc, but right now funds aren't earmarked for anything like that.  But, I've seen some "DVR" boxes that you can hook a USB hard-drive to and record OTA television with them.  Anybody ever tried this?

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
I don't think some understand you can have 100 HD channels depending on package. Its all on just not Sunday Ticket for 1/4 the price. I added Redzone.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
<snip>
I want to be able to watch what I want when I want to watch it.
My TIVO gives me that option.

For me, it's worth it.
If you can afford it and it doesn't impact the necessities I say go for it and enjoy it!!!!   :grin:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 02:40:55 PM »
Does Comcast make more money on TV or internet?

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything