Author Topic: Looking for IP Cameras  (Read 2045 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Looking for IP Cameras
« on: April 08, 2022, 10:17:30 PM »
I need two IP Cameras. They're a little more for security than just for weather (since I have a solid weather camera, but they should be able to capture some weather events as well).

Here are my needs:

1. Outdoor use
2. Wi-Fi (no Ethernet drop nearby)
3. Battery powered (might be too far to run power cord, solar with battery backup is an option)
4. Night Vision would be nice
5. I just need to be able to view the live streams in a web browser on my LAN, plus FTP static images to a server (I already have my own FTP server I use for cloud storage). I don't need proprietary apps, subscription services, or "smart home" stuff (just something simple)
6. It can be fixed/static (I don't need PTZ)
7. Not made in China (in case I ever need to adapt them for work, I have work restrictions on not made in China for some items)
8. Overall low cost (in case I only need them temporarily)
9. To mount them, one I could U Bolt to the pole my Davis VP2 is on. The other I'd need to mount on the front of my house and would need to figure that out

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
Re: Looking for IP Cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 12:32:43 AM »
wow, no responses.

Most of the IP bullet cameras are outdoor cameras.

Wifi cameras I would avoid, but IP cameras a generally POE (Power Over Ethernet), so you can have a very long run and still things will work.

The biggest problem you will find it that pretty much all of them are made in China.  :(

Mounting isn't necessarily hard. You can easily screw them on to piece of plywood, which you can then use a u-bolt to secure that to the your pole you VP2 is on.

It's a very late reply, but thought in case someone else asks the same questions, here's a bit of an answer. :)
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 02:09:41 AM »
The requirements were a very tough call. Hard to find much of anything that even comes close to half that?

Offline ChrisB

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 04:18:54 AM »
I've been looking for similar requirements for a camera recently after Bloomsky did their vanishing trick.

From my research there is currently nothing that does wi-fi+ solar power + ftp. Reolink (Chinese) had been telling customers that it was coming but has never arrived. I've ended up getting one of their wi-fi cameras that does ftp but is mains powered.
http://www.kennfordweather.com - Devon, U.K

Davis Vantage Vue | Davis AirLink | WiFi Logger

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 07:59:53 AM »
How about Wyze camera, I use Ispy to capture the video, FTP to web page.
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861