Author Topic: Which Raspberry Pi?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline rushmere

Which Raspberry Pi?
« on: July 12, 2023, 10:24:13 PM »
I'm looking to get a Raspberry Pi to use with an Ecowitt GW1100 plus WeeWX and/or Cumulus.

I'm new to the Raspberry Pi (and to the software), so it's going to be a nice little project to keep me entertained.

However, I'm not sure which Raspberry Pi model I need. Is a Pi 4 B with 4GB OK? Would 8GB be better, or is that just overkill? Or would an older 3 B+ model be enough?

I'm not too worried about the cost, so I'm happy to spend a bit more if it's going to be more enjoyable to use, but there's no point me buying something that's total overkill.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline Aussie Susan

Re: Which Raspberry Pi?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 10:27:49 PM »
I'm running WeeWx in a 3B+, along with Nginx without any issues.
I do have a SD card in there but it is set to be 'read only' and all of the WeeWx files are on a NAS drive so I don't have SD card reliability issues (touch wood!!).
Susan

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 04:11:41 AM »
You don't need a 4, a 3B+ will be fine, use less power, and run cooler.

With the 3B+ you also have the option (like the 4) of using a USB SSD drive instead of an SD card. You can pick up those small SSDs quite cheaply.
Mark

Offline rushmere

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 07:19:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice  [tup]

Offline weatherkitten

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 01:07:08 AM »
I've been using a Pi Zero Wireless model since 2018. Super reliable to the point I've had it going for 3 years uptime once. Uses almost no power and the processor is plenty fast enough for weewx 1 minute updates, skin generation, plus hosting nginx. Use an MLC SD card and you won't have issues.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 06:33:50 AM »
I've had a Zero W running for over three years also. Sends CumulusMX to my secondary site.

http://www.morewoodweather.ca/CumulusMX/gauges.htm