Author Topic: Refurbishing Original Vantage Pro (2004)  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Sunfox

Refurbishing Original Vantage Pro (2004)
« on: November 15, 2020, 02:32:04 PM »
So, I've had an original wireless Vantage Pro mounted halfway up an antenna tower since 2004. It's worked pretty reliably during that time, but admittedly for the last 8 years or so it has been completely ignored. The rain collector stopped working, then the wind gauge stopped being reliable, but I never got around to taking it down or working on it. Then I moved, and it's been sitting in my basement in a pile of dirty pieces for about a year.

This summer I took it upon myself to clean it up. First, it's astounding what UV/weather will do to plastic. The black plastic rain cone is fine, but anything white has gone severely yellow (or splotchy dark grey - odd), and whatever plastic they used for the round shields and electronics box on the bottom has gone very crumbly around the edges, such that it just flakes off like powder. It just disintegrates.

As for cleaning, the rain collector interior was literally jam full of a paper wasp nest (they came in one of the 2 cable holes - they didn't have those little rubber grommets for them back in 2004). Other stuff had a ton of grunge but came pretty clean. I then spray painted everything white and black, and it looks great.

As for components:

The transmitter board seems fine. The "supercap" appears to be okay (not leaking). The solar cell is very milky.

The temperature/humidity module is clean, and running it inside next to the console I'm getting identical readings between the two.

The rain gauge is NOT working. It just shows on the console that it's constantly being tripped, so the rainfall reading just keeps going up and up. I assume it's shorted/failed. It's the original black plastic double-spoon design (not even the silver ones) so I don't think it's worth trying to repair.

The anemometer is generally not working correctly. Wind direction is fine, and it will give me a minimal wind speed reading when I turn the cups, but I don't think the reading is as high as it should be, and there's a very loud noise/vibration when spinning the cups that makes me think the bearings have failed. It's the old "straight" design (not hourglass) so I don't know how serviceable it is compared to the new one and its handy cartridge.

I think the least I can do to get this working again is replace the tipping spoon, and the anemometer, both of which appear to still be compatible with the original VP.

But it looks like I could actually replace a lot more if I wanted to. Like, I could get a whole new black plastic mounting base. I could get the new AeroCone. I could replace the crumbling solar shield. I'm quite certain I could even transplant my VP transmitter into the new VP2 electronics box that mounts on the base where the solar cell mounts on mine. And, I'm pretty sure I could use the new solar cell front lid, too.

Is anyone crazy enough to have done anything like that? Made a hybrid VP/VP2? It's still a lot cheaper to replace all those parts and keep using my old transmitter board, temperature module and console than it is to upgrade to a brand new VP2.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:38:26 PM by Sunfox »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Refurbishing Original Vantage Pro (2004)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
Is anyone crazy enough to have done anything like that? Made a hybrid VP/VP2? It's still a lot cheaper to replace all those parts and keep using my old transmitter board, temperature module and console than it is to upgrade to a brand new VP2.

I would.

Just a bearing is nothing but I would take on your project too in a heart beat.

Reed totally doable to fix wind speed along with bearing.

Probably reed for rain would make it just as good as original.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40764.msg418285#msg418285

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
I have one I just took down.   I have the rain gauge issue, in my case it's not the reed switch, it appears to be a sealing issue with the housing for the transmitter.  It works for a handful of days, then it will either not show any rain, or it will show continuous rain and 20" of rain a day after a rain has stopped.

The solar cells don't generate any electricity, and I couldn't figure out how to replace them, since there's no spec.   Which means you have to replace the battery ever 2-3 months.

Plastic of the housing is  extremely brittle, and so you have to treat it with kid gloves.    The solar detectors are all fogged over and no longer give an accurate reading.

I decided to replace it with a new model just last month because I've been nursing through the last 5-6 years, and I've just gotten tired of it.

It's sitting in my garage now, including a repeater (since the frequency used of the original will only go about 60 feet), computer interface & housing, and a soil wetness sensor.   I just haven't decided what to do with it, but I was just getting tired of patching it together so frequently.  On the plus side,  it records temp, pressure, wind direction and speed with no issue, but it definitely needs someone willing to give it some TLC to bring it back to full operation.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »
If you send it in for a refurb they will  replace or repair any that is needed to make it work. It was $180 a few years ago. Not sure what it is now. Seems like that would be cheaper then trying to buy the parts you need.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »
Wow, the solar and uv sensors alone cost more than this, that is a good deal to get in effect a new station for ~$200

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
I take it this is a VP1? Do Davis still refurb a VP1?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
If you find a way to get the temp/humidity to work, let me know.  I have two of these offline and soon to be tossed if I can't get stuff going.

Too many other good to great stations out there, but the challenge of keeping old wx stations (and cars) (and airplanes) going is part of the fun!
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 04:02:59 AM »
I'm still running an original Vantage pro installed in 2003...Have replaced temp sensor, Rain gage and anemometer one time each over that span...still using original solar panel and everything else. Have replaced the iss battery 3 or 4 times, so supercap etc looks good. Will always recommend a Davis station when asked.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Sunfox

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 07:13:46 PM »
So after COVID issues and breaking my ankle, I’m just finding the time to get back to this.

As it turns out, the tipping bucket reed switch is fine and counting accurately. However, when the definitely broken anemometer is connected to the WIND port, rainfall starts counting constantly. I don’t see obvious corrosion in the connector, but the housing is far from properly waterproof (it was SO dirty inside).

I have noticed that plugging a 4-conductor phone cable into the WIND jack doesn’t trigger rainfall, so I’m not sure if it’s just a result of a bad anemometer (direction works, but wind speed reads 0 or 2 only) or if there’s a deeper circuit board problem. A new anemometer isn’t exactly cheap, so I hesitate to buy one if the unit is toast.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 11:36:02 AM »
Mine is a VP2 from 05. Just had a second issue with water getting inside and causing erroneous rain readings. I thought it was coming in from the top but as it turns out it was coming in at the bottom of the solar panel. The UV rays have really deteriorated the housing. As a temporary fix I put silicone around the edges of the panel until I get a new one. That's about $200 for the housing, board, and a new cover. After I get those the console will be the only remaining original part from when I purchased the unit.

Offline Sunfox

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 03:01:33 PM »
Sadly they don’t seem to sell VP1 boards, and I know if I went for VP2 I’d have to replace a lot of stuff including the console, which isn’t worth it to me at this time.

Anyone know what the actual issue is? The unit is VERY dry, it’s been inside for like 6 years.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 03:10:09 PM »
I don't think a phone connector will work. If I'm not mistaken I think the wiring is reversed even though they look the same.
Have you tried any canned air. Maybe they just need a good dusting off.  Since the rain bucket works maybe try cutting off that connector and trying it on the anny. Just leave yourself enough wire to put back together.
Beyond that I don't have a clue.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 03:13:07 PM by ocala »