Author Topic: Virtual VP & Windows 7 64bit  (Read 8129 times)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
Virtual VP & Windows 7 64bit
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
Ken:
Need your expertise. You mentioned in previous post you might be able to assist with the Eterlogic driver. I just installed Windows 7 64 bit on my Weather station PC. I purchased the Eterlogic driver and now have it working with Virual VP. Weatherlink & Weather-Display are running fine. I have my PC set so I can launch my 4 Weather Station programs with StartWatch. StartWatch works fine I am having one minor issue with the Eterlogic VSPE, it won't automatically load the configuration file. So I have a pause built in StartWatch so I can manually open the config file, then launch Virtual VP and my other programs. I am utilizing the COM Ports configuration. I have Weatherlink on COM6 & weather-Display on COM7.

I am hoping you know of a way to force the loading of the VSPE emulator configuration file. I looked on Eterlogic's website and didn't locate any info on this subject.

Your assistance is appreciated 

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
Re: Virtual VP & Windows 7 64bit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
Perhaps this will help:

Command line
To make users life easier VSPE supports command line parameters.
For example it can be used to automatically load configuration at Windows startup. Warning: only one VSPE instance can exist at the same time !

Usage:
VSPEmulator.exe <config file path> <options>

Config file is a special file with extension ".vspe" that can be created using VSPE "Save as..." command.Options are additional parameters that can be passed to VSPE to manage its basic behavior.•-minimize : minimize VSPE dialog
•-hide_splash : do not show splash window

Example:

Execute VSPE and automatically load configuration file
VSPEmulator.exe c:/config_files/main.vspe

Execute, load configuration file, hide splash and minimize VSPE
VSPEmulator.exe c:/config_files/main.vspe -minimize -hide_splash

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »
tmabell:
Thanks for the feedback. My VSPE config file is in the same directory as the exe file. there is no /config_files/ directory on my PC. When I did the Save As command the program dropped the file in the same directory as the exe file. I tried some of your commands in StartWatch and VSPE said it couldn't load the config (VSPE) file. Not sure what to do here. Do I place the startup in the Params field in StartWatch? If not how do I get VSPE to load it? Where do I key in the info?
Thanks

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
Try running it in a command window and see if it works that way.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
Tom,

I run a similar setup that you're trying to do. Here's what I have in Startwatch:
Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe
Params: c:\vspeconfig.vspe -minimize -hide_splash

vspeconfig.vspe in my config file. As you can see, it's located in my root directory, C:\ . It's been a couple of years since I set this up, but, if I recall, that's the only place I could put it and get it work.

Steve

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
Steve:
I tried your suggestion and it worked.  :grin:
StartWatch is starting the program perfectly with the config (VSPE) file loading. I love StartWatch it keeps the weather station programs up and running. It's amazing how often one of the programs will get hung.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 07:24:07 AM »
I run a similar setup that you're trying to do. Here's what I have in Startwatch:
Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe
Params: c:\vspeconfig.vspe -minimize -hide_splash

Thanks for posting this. I finally got around to springing for that driver and taking WIN7out of TestSigning mode with the com0com driver and this made it a smooth transition. Thank you!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

anything