Author Topic: Air Quality Sensor  (Read 706 times)

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
Air Quality Sensor
« on: June 28, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
My VP2+ weather station only seems to have room for two extra sensors, solar and UV.
So to have the air quality sensor do I have to remove one the above sensors?.
I have had inquires as to why the air quality information is not shown on my Weatherlink page that is available to
anyone that has the link to it. See my attachment to see that it features the air quality setting?.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Air Quality Sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
Hmmm interesting! I have not heard of Davis having an air quality sensor. Maybe this is a reveal of a new sensor due out soon!

I would say that it might not be able to add this sensor to an ISS. This might be something that either only the WLL supports with a firmware update, or maybe also the display consoles if they too can get an update to receive data from another transmitter.

Or it could just be, maybe a new feature where Davis will pull the air quality data from the Purple Air network or similar. Or maybe Davis will have a standalone air quality sensor and base to connect to the Internet. Lots of possibilities.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:31:11 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »
I saw on a local TV news broadcast for a news item about cruise ships burning off bunker oil in our docks area and
polluting the air quality and I saw from a distance what looked a Davis weather station like mine a VP2 as if to show
they were monitoring the air quality with it. This would be about a good 2 years or more ago now.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:11:56 AM »
You can't trust news outlets. They are clueless.

If Davis had an air quality sensor you'd be hearing more about it. And it would probably be mentioned as part of their Enviromonitor, and it isn't [yet].

https://www.davisinstruments.com/solution/enviromonitor-affordable-field-monitoring-system/#supportedsensors
Tele-Pole

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
These are now available on the Enviromonitor systems which have the capability of 3rd party sensors. These are not available for the standard vp2 systems

Regards
Josh Raszkiewicz

This is the reply I received from Davis Australia

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »
Excellent! New stuff. I guess that answers the question. They should update their website. Shame on the no support for the VP2. Yet another reason for the VP3 to come out, which I feel can simply be a firmware update to the WeathLink Live to accept the reception new sensor data, along with a new display that gets live data from the WLL as the mobile app does.
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 10:14:28 AM »
Shame on the no support for the VP2. Yet another reason for the VP3 to come out..

I agree, but suspect that it's not necessarily very likely, at least in the short-medium term. The only likely input on a 6332 box is the 0-3v ones for solar/UV whereas the EM node has been designed from the ground up so that any of its 4 inputs can accept a variety of input types, eg 4-20mA, voltage, pulse, SDI-12 etc. And of course the VP2 console and wireless protocol is not designed to allow any message types.

Hope I'm wrong , but it would need a 'VP3' to be a major re-engineering of the VP2, which I suspect is not too likely.

Edit: And I should have added: There's also the potential issue that the power budget on a VP2 transmitter is pretty limited. I don't know exactly how and how often an air quality sensor needs to be read, but that's obviously a potential limitation too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:46:02 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.