Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109531 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
With auto pause cooperating won't be a problem any more. It works perfectly good. Much better I was suspecting.

Looking forward to trying that with CumulusMX.
You're right, with Auto pause got it working with CumulusMX for the past 12 hours and also WiFiLogger uploading to all the other sites. \:D/ =D>

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
New firmware is available on the first post. Version 1.17

Please update using BIN file.
Also please upload all HTML files. JS, CSS not necessary.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I had a problem uploading to CWOP using this logger. Firmware 1.17, discussed below, helped fix this problem, as well as some direction from the developer, Wojtek. Now uploads to CWOP, Mesowest, pwsweather.com and Weather Underground all work perfectly. A great product and a perfect supplement to my hardware setup I was looking for—uploads to weather sites without using a computer.

All new products, particularly those that are technology-based, like this logger, will have issues (i.e., bugs) that will take awhile to identify and fix. This device, released in early June 2018, will be no different. So if you have issues or questions, contact Wojtek, who, based on my experience, will do his best to resolve on a timely basis.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:33:50 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Absolutely agree, I just purchased one - received it today, had some trouble getting "on-line" so sent developer a message.  Wojtek got back to me almost immediately.  While I had already solved the problem he was there and still is there with questions.

This seems to be just what I was looking for to supplement my hardware setup.  So far I am very impressed with the device and gives thumbs up to Wojtek  \:D/.

CW3699

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Agree with both of the above posters.
The auto pause feature uploads to WL/Cumulus effortlessly.
 \:D/
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
Is there a web site for this thing?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
I think Wojtek may be planning something but we have a page on our main website at:

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/wifi-logger.htm

with support information, firmware updates etc at:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wifi-logger

NB Both pages are pretty new and need more polishing. Comments on errors & omissions welcome.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
Thanks, John. Sounds like a little gem, that one. A photo of the unit would be great, though.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Thanks, John. Sounds like a little gem, that one. A photo of the unit would be great, though.

Working on it - there will be one posted in the next day or two. It's actually quite a small module so not completely trivial to get a good high-res image.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
It is a logger with a yellow wire! It is about 1 inch square about one-quarter inch thick. Once it is inserted in the console and you replace the battery cover, you don’t see it just as you don’t see the 3 “C” batteries. You use the yellow wire to pull it out of the console, if necessary. A photo of the logger and its yellow wire is viewable in the first post of this thread from the developer, Wojtek.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:35:57 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor

Once you put the unit in the console, you'll put the battery cover back on.  At that point you would never know a logger was in the console. No external wires.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Hi. There is a photo on the first post.
Here you have another
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I won the contest for the ugliest world module.
Yellow wire is ugly, but it's smart. Besides, it's Italian design https://youtu.be/7mZdkfEeJH4?t=10m22s

But the best thing is that everything is ok, besides a look.

Wojtek
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:16:11 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline ChrisB

Hello all. New member here!

After lurking in the shadows absorbing all the information I could about the logger I finally pulled the trigger last week and now have it all set up, working perfectly. I'm really impressed with it as i specifically didn't want to have a computer switched on 24/7 like I have done in the past. I've upgraded the firmware successfully and so far have my station reporting every minute to Weatherlink with no issues (a little disappointed with Davis' 2.0 offering so far - lots of niggly bugs in their GUI). I think I will set it up with WU too at some point in the near future.

At the moment I'm just enjoying being a PWS owner again having been away from it for a couple of years (had a cheap Maplin FO one with a PC running Cumulus before moving house - I left it attached to the shed for the new owner :lol:). Managed to get myself a lovely Vantage Vue second hand which has finally fulfilled my ambition to own a Davis station.

Happy to contribute to the thread and help this Wifi Logger project to grow. Very impressive.
http://www.kennfordweather.com - Devon, U.K

Davis Vantage Vue | Davis AirLink | WiFi Logger

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
Wojciech,  can you please add a decimal place more precision to the dewpoint calculation for the data being sent to WU?  In FW117, I'm only seeing a whole number precision for dewpoint temperatures when in fahrenheit units.  The Real Time Data screen shows a digit to the right of the decimal point, but it appears to be rounded to zero every time I look at it.

Also, I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not, but I'm seeing smoother data now on WU once I disabled the main 'Mode' for WU and kept RapidFire enabled.  I don't know what is happening under the hood when both are enabled.  I would think you'd only want one or the other enabled at a time, but not both.  I'm under the impression that WU can't mix both correctly.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Wojciech,  can you please add a decimal place more precision to the dewpoint calculation for the data being sent to WU?  In FW117, I'm only seeing a whole number precision for dewpoint temperatures when in fahrenheit units.  The Real Time Data screen shows a digit to the right of the decimal point, but it appears to be rounded to zero every time I look at it.

How, with Davis equipment, would you be able to get dewpoint temperature accuracy (or precision or resolution) beyond whole degrees?   

See, for instance:
 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/52009269_Uncertainties_of_Derived_Dewpoint_Temperature_and_Relative_Humidity

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

How, with Davis equipment, would you be able to get dewpoint temperature accuracy (or precision or resolution) beyond whole degrees?   

See, for instance:
 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/52009269_Uncertainties_of_Derived_Dewpoint_Temperature_and_Relative_Humidity

My Davis Weatherlink software records dewpoint and temperatures in tenths from my VP2. My uploads to CWOP using the Davis logger and the Weatherlink software rounds these measurements to the nearest whole degree. However, uploads to WU using that same logger and using Weatherlink reflects dewpoint and temperatures to the nearest tenth. I also have the new WiFilogger. My uploads from a different VP2 to CWOP and WU using this new WiFiLogger are displayed on these two websites rounded to the nearest whole degree. My guess, and is strictly a guess, such amounts are rounded by the WiFi logger so a software “tweak” in the WiFiLogger itself is possible, but let’s see what Wojtek, the developer, has to say!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:15:56 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
See, for instance: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/52009269_Uncertainties_of_Derived_Dewpoint_Temperature_and_Relative_Humidity
I was asking for one additional digit past the decimal place (the same as what the Davis software already provides).  This request has nothing to do with the absolute accuracy of the dewpoint calculation being used.  With the Davis configuration & components in use, I realize that it is hardly accurate enough to even get to whole numbers.  However, I'm after relative changes.  If I get another decimal place, then I'll see a little less quantization noise.  While the Davis RH is presented as a whole number, the formula to convert it to dewpoint has less impact than the temperature does in the range of interest for me.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Just a quick answer about dew point.
This value comes from a console. It is inside LOOP2 command which is a part of console firmware 1.90+. There is more than a dew point. You can have 10 min wind gust which is very needed for all uploads.
This value is inside a console as an integer number. WFL is compute only units, so comma is for units count.
WeatherLink don't use LOOP2 command, only LOOP1. With data of temp and humidity its calculate dew point.
WFL only transfer console data.
Problem is that. I would like to stay with this philosophy. WFL is a tool to transfer data.
Davis equipment is a first world weather station which is a toy and can give you quite good readings.
Dew point is calculated with error. Temp measure has an error, humidity has measure error as well.
I have never count this, but probably dew point has measure error like +/- 2 F degree.
With a such big error there is no need to make tenth of degree accuracy. So I am transferring console data and I can't answer what is an error of this calculation.
That is convenient to me and very ok with you, because in a first place you have choose Davis weather station, then you have chosen WFL as a tool to transfer data from it.
I would like to be responsible for data transfer, not Davis measure accuracy. It is ok when I am just transfering data, not calculate it.

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
Thanks for at least looking into it.  I get your point and I don't expect any extra effort from you.  However, if I may be allowed to rant a little (in general and NOT specifically toward you)...   I encounter many people that get hung up on the notion that only absolute accuracy is of importance to EVERYONE and that there is no reason to include a finer resolution.  But, please realize that there are some people that can appreciate precision in a relative way and that it's possible to be useful for another purpose.  Davis admits that the console readout is a whole number due to various limitations of their processor/memory and therefore resort to a simple lookup table.  Davis publishes the calculations that they use in software:  https://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_28-derived-weather-variables.pdf.  If your processor has math functions like EXP and LN, then it should be straight forward to implement.  Just a thought in case you change your mind later on down the road.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Thanks for at least looking into it.  I get your point and I don't expect any extra effort from you.  However, if I may be allowed to rant a little (in general and NOT specifically toward you)...   I encounter many people that get hung up on the notion that only absolute accuracy is of importance to EVERYONE and that there is no reason to include a finer resolution.  But, please realize that there are some people that can appreciate precision in a relative way and that it's possible to be useful for another purpose.  Davis admits that the console readout is a whole number due to various limitations of their processor/memory and therefore resort to a simple lookup table.  Davis publishes the calculations that they use in software:  https://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_28-derived-weather-variables.pdf.  If your processor has math functions like EXP and LN, then it should be straight forward to implement.  Just a thought in case you change your mind later on down the road.

There is no reason to argue. I have made this calculation. There is more than one mathematical formula to calculate a dew point. I took this one from your post.
Please update your WFL with firmware 1.18 from the first post. Calculated dew point is only on the first page REAL TIME DATA. After confirmation this is it what you are looking for I will change whole program to use this calculated value.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Problem is that. I would like to stay with this philosophy. WFL is a tool to transfer data.

I think this prudent approach is the correct one. Not to introduce 2nd and 3rd algorithms when they're readily available in the console (even if that's not the most accurate thing possible). That's in part why I find it very important to use archive records for uploads with periods greater or equal to 1 minute. That's basically all other software does for services not requiring rapid real-time data. It's there in the console with all sums, highs and lows, etc., ready to transfer.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
My Davis Weatherlink software records dewpoint and temperatures in tenths from my VP2. My uploads to CWOP using the Davis logger and the Weatherlink software rounds these measurements to the nearest whole degree. However, uploads to WU using that same logger and using Weatherlink reflects dewpoint and temperatures to the nearest tenth. I also have the new WiFilogger. My uploads from a different VP2 to CWOP and WU using this new WiFiLogger are displayed on these two websites rounded to the nearest whole degree. My guess, and is strictly a guess, such amounts are rounded by the WiFi logger so a software “tweak” in the WiFiLogger itself is possible, but let’s see what Wojtek, the developer, has to say!

PWS, WU, WOW accept dew point value and natural dew point from console is in whole F degree.
When people will accept this calculation from version 1.18. I will change all dew point values to this calculated one.
Outside temp is exported in tenth of degree. Only CWOP accept whole F degree.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Also, I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not, but I'm seeing smoother data now on WU once I disabled the main 'Mode' for WU and kept RapidFire enabled.  I don't know what is happening under the hood when both are enabled.  I would think you'd only want one or the other enabled at a time, but not both.  I'm under the impression that WU can't mix both correctly.

My mistake. Thank you that you have noticed that. I will repair that soon. MODE should completely off WU export. RapidFire should work only when MODE is Enable. It should just switch to real time WU server.
http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol
"We haven't decided whether you should also send standard updates if the user is uploading in real-time. For now, I think we are leaning toward either only sending standard updates, or only sending real-time updates, not requiring that both are sent when the user is in real-time mode. That'll be simpler."

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
There is more than one mathematical formula to calculate a dew point. I took this one from your post.

Thank you.  Your result looks the same as what I calculate using the formula that Davis published.  And I'm almost 100% sure that Davis uses the same formula for WL since I've compared my results to theirs for more than 100 different data samples.  And remember, we know that the result of this calculation is not the real dewpoint, but only an estimate.  So which formula that is used is somewhat arbitrary.  But, at least it provides the relative changes with some more precision.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
PWS, WU, WOW accept dew point value and natural dew point from console is in whole F degree.
When people will accept this calculation from version 1.18. I will change all dew point values to this calculated one.
Outside temp is exported in tenth of degree. Only CWOP accept whole F degree.

I completely agree with kubuki -- and your previous decision.

Quote from: WiFiLogger on Yesterday at 04:22:01 PM

Doing formulas to change the data from the Davis console would be a negative for me, in a decision to purchase a new logger.

The purpose of a logger is to log the data, and provide a way to access the log.  And optionally, to transfer the console data to other systems, in the same way that other software now does.  Not to modify the data.  And certainly not to modify the data in ways that can't be unmodified.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:08:49 PM by dalecoy »

anything