Author Topic: Brultech ecm1240 2nd ECM using Tenware  (Read 3302 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Brultech ecm1240 2nd ECM using Tenware
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
Since Pat and I were getting a little off the lightbulb topic, started a new one....

As I mentioned, Ed (at Tenware) added multi ECM support for the dbl logger, and csv logger last year.   But he hasnt had time to update the charts program.  The charts program graphs ecm data in real time, or can be used to plot historical levels from the sqlite db that the dbl logger creates.  Since the 1st ecm plots net usages, you can see everything but not individual channel data on ECM two.

I moved all my stuff to a new weather pc in the summer, but messed up the dbl location.  By the time I noticed it had been a few weeks.  I forgot about it for a while.  After asking about the charts program, and mentioning the double db's he suggested this piece of software.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/SQLiteCompareUtility.aspx

It compares two sqlite db's for differences in schema and layout.   Since the two db's formats are exact, it had a further feature where you could compare data.  I was able to isolate all the data elements in db1 vs db2.  I could then click a button to copy data from one to another.  Since the dbl only updates on the hour, I was able to get the file back in the ecm folder for the next update.   So I am good now from a db perspective.

Then I got thinking about how I could extract some ecm2 values.  I wanted to compare my dryer usage going from the 25 year old one, to the new HE one I just got.   Found this piece of software

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

I was able to dump the entire database to a flat CSV file. I am now playing in Excel to look at some of my historical values.  Pat, I used the mac version, but I’m sure the pc one is good too.  I always use my mac as a guinea pig on open source stuff, because I figure its more immune to any potential bad stuff out there.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: Brultech ecm1240 2nd ECM using Tenware
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
Funny you should start this thread - I had the same thought and I sure didn't feel like trying to find the old Brultech threads again! Good thinking!  =D>

That's some good info and links for those changes.

Do you have the Brultech softwares on the same machine as your weather softwares?

I haven't reinstalled the CTs or ECM hardware yet so my Brultech PC is doing nothing right now. I'm thinking it might be a good time to (finally) relocate my weather softwares to a dedicated machine.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:16:59 AM »
Pat,
Yes the Brultech/Tenware stuff is all on the 95% dedicated weather pc. 5% of the time, its the upstairs surf box

Andrew

Do you have the Brultech softwares on the same machine as your weather softwares?

I haven't reinstalled the CTs or ECM hardware yet so my Brultech PC is doing nothing right now. I'm thinking it might be a good time to (finally) relocate my weather softwares to a dedicated machine.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
If you had to guess, what do you think would use more electricity, a pool pump or a whole home air conditioner?

I thought a/c at first.  It used a max around 3.8kwh's when really cranking, only did that over 10 one hour periods.  Seems to run normally about 1.8kwh.  The pump uses 1.18kwh pretty consistent.

totals for summer
a/c 1564kwh
pool pump 2793kwh

I run the pump from the time I leave for work till sometime between dinner and bed typically.  Unless I am heating it for the next day, then it runs 24 hours on occasion.

From May 10 to Sept 10
the pool pump avg's 20 kwh per day.   It uses 28.4 on a 24 hour run.   So it appears on avg it runs 17 hours per day.
The a/c avg'd 12.22kwh per day during the same period.

Finding some interesting stuff in the data.  Will post the dryer analysis later.

Andrew

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
Interesting data.

With my place using the evaporative cooling, I get a break compared to the cost of A/C but I sure know how that pool pump sucks the kws out of me.

I started with my reinstall of the CTs today when it warmed up to 28 degrees. Only got the even # side done before I figured being able to feel my toes would be a better idea.  :roll:

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »
Andrew, do you have kind of routine that extracts a database value and determines on and off duration?

I was thinking that, with my heat/cool on its own channel, it wouldn't be too hard to determine how long it was running. I know you dabble with the SQL aspect of this and I don't have a clue about SQL so I thought I would ask.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:57:56 AM »
Pat,
I dont have one, but I think I have developed calculation methodology to assist you in determining.

The database will give you the Kwh's for a one hour period.  It will give you the watt seconds number as well and number of seconds used in the Kwh's calc (typically 3600).   So there is no real "run time" compoenent that I can see.

The data is "missing" one variable that is required.  However if you knew the expected Kwh's for a device that was running at full, or the entire hour, you could back out run time.

I used my Pool pump as a test factor.  I know it uses 1.2Kwh per hour.   I found a period that it ran less than one hour.  My pump is on Aux5, so replace that variable with whatever channel you are using.

Aux5Last minus Aux5First
802729408-800303168
=2426240
So that is 2426240 watt seconds.  Divided by 3600 / 1000 will give kilowat hours = .67395

I know that my device runs at 1.20 per hour, so by dividing .67395 by 1.2 will give how many hours in that period it ran.  so 0.561625 hours or 33.6975 minutes.

If you did the same calculation over a 24 hour, or longer period, you could determine run time for that period.

Big ass u me though on the constant Kwh's of the device.  I know my pump does not vary, but if it were my furnace, with a variable blower or something it would not be accurate (good guide probably but not 100%)

Andrew

Andrew, do you have kind of routine that extracts a database value and determines on and off duration?

I was thinking that, with my heat/cool on its own channel, it wouldn't be too hard to determine how long it was running. I know you dabble with the SQL aspect of this and I don't have a clue about SQL so I thought I would ask.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
Glad I only have a hot tub.  I wonder what that thing is drawing now that it's getting colder.  I gotta get a monitor.  Waiting for Greeneye to make it's debut.  Those guys at Brultech are sure slow bringing their new stuff to market.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:25:02 AM »
I thought the data was stored on a minute basis. I only thought that by looking at the graphs (Brultech supplied). It seemed to me that one could, with SQL knowledge, scan thru the data for "above threshold" values and count the minutes.

Maybe when I'm done dealing with all this house stuff I'll take a look at it.

No biggie - just a curiosity. I still haven't had time to rewire all my channels from the new panel yet. In fact, I only have the CTs on the even numbered breakers.  :roll:

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »
Pat,
In real time mode the data comes per second (or whatever interval you set).  However the tenware database stores the data per hour, otherwise it would become quite huge, quite quickly.  The brultech examples are probably using their own db software, but I doubt they are storing data that frequently for pemanent storage.

Andrew

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:52:44 PM »
I installed the Tenware updates and I notice the DB Logger seems to have the engine interface on it now. Do I still need to run both of those as I did with the older version?

2 weeks later, I finally finished my CT reinstall at my new panel!  \:D/

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
Both? (you only listed one app  :lol:)  All the apps (except charts) look almost identical now.

You must run the Server, and it sends data to CSV logger, DBL logger, and Charts programs.

So at minimum you need to run the server, and DBL logger.

Andrew

I installed the Tenware updates and I notice the DB Logger seems to have the engine interface on it now. Do I still need to run both of those as I did with the older version?

2 weeks later, I finally finished my CT reinstall at my new panel!  \:D/