Author Topic: Tired of WU and I want to set up a mini PWS  (Read 2326 times)

Offline ixlr8

Tired of WU and I want to set up a mini PWS
« on: March 01, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
I have a Vantage Pro 2 with Weatherlink, I am using an old laptop running WinXP that has been uploading to WU since about 2008. I am getting tired of the WU issues and I suspect my laptop doesn't have much life left. I am getting more and more USB port errors.
I want to set up some system that will collect/display the data from my VP2 and can also display FTP'd images from my webcam. SWMBO wants to be able to access the data from work as well as give a few family members access to the data and images. At the moment I am not looking to create a website that is available to the public. The last time I did any coding was Fortran using punch cards.
Is this possible? Am I getting in over my head? Any suggestions for hardware/software would be appreciated to give me some idea where to start.
Thanks, Jim

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
Re: Tired of WU and I want to set up a mini PWS
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »
If don't mind running Linux OS, look into a RPI3B+. As for the software, look into Weewx.

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:42:27 AM »
If don't mind running Linux OS, look into a RPI3B+. As for the software, look into Weewx.
Thanks for the info, I suspect I am going to have lots of learning ahead so I don't mind trying to tackle Linux.

Offline mafen

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 07:34:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, I suspect I am going to have lots of learning ahead so I don't mind trying to tackle Linux.

You could back up the data you got on the old laptop, and turn it in to a linux laptop, which could give new life to it, as there is many versions of linux that is not demanding when it comes to hardware

Additionally you could make the laptop save/store the data locally with weewx and sqlite or mysql, and also send it to weather underground

Edit : I didnt read the part about not having a webpage, so weewx might be out of the question then, but it can be accomplished using a local lamp stack, and this does not require a lot of coding
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:39:39 AM by mafen »

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
You could back up the data you got on the old laptop, and turn it in to a linux laptop, which could give new life to it, as there is many versions of linux that is not demanding when it comes to hardware

Additionally you could make the laptop save/store the data locally with weewx and sqlite or mysql, and also send it to weather underground

Edit : I didnt read the part about not having a webpage, so weewx might be out of the question then, but it can be accomplished using a local lamp stack, and this does not require a lot of coding
The old laptop has been running 24/7 for 12 years and I don't believe it has much life left so my plan is to find another processing system, like the R-PI, get it up and running and then shut down the old computer before it dies on me.
I didn't want to create a web page as I figured that was one more learning curve, more expense, more unknown issues. Although it would be easier for the others I would want to be sharing the data with. 
I have no idea what a "local lamp stack" is... off to Google to find out and to learn more about what Weewx will/won't do.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
You might want to look at the Meteobridge... ;)
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline mafen

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »

The old laptop has been running 24/7 for 12 years and I don't believe it has much life left so my plan is to find another processing system, like the R-PI, get it up and running and then shut down the old computer before it dies on me.
I didn't want to create a web page as I figured that was one more learning curve, more expense, more unknown issues. Although it would be easier for the others I would want to be sharing the data with. 
I have no idea what a "local lamp stack" is... off to Google to find out and to learn more about what Weewx will/won't do.
A lamp stack is basicly everything you need for a web server/host web pages. It has apache, php and a database (MariaDB)

And i agree with the others, a raspberry pi is a good place to start

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 12:07:59 PM »

All you would need to install is a webserver (Apache , nginx, or lighthttpd) to view your Weewx web pages over the local network. 

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
I have a Vantage Pro 2 with Weatherlink, I am using an old laptop running WinXP that has been uploading to WU since about 2008. I am getting tired of the WU issues and I suspect my laptop doesn't have much life left. I am getting more and more USB port errors.
I want to set up some system that will collect/display the data from my VP2 and can also display FTP'd images from my webcam. SWMBO wants to be able to access the data from work as well as give a few family members access to the data and images. At the moment I am not looking to create a website that is available to the public. The last time I did any coding was Fortran using punch cards.
Is this possible? Am I getting in over my head? Any suggestions for hardware/software would be appreciated to give me some idea where to start.
Thanks, Jim
You could also go the other way. Discard of your current laptop/Weatherlink/USB logger combination and replace with an Ambient-WeatherBridge.
That way you will still have WU-upload, but also https://ambientweather.net/ which is currently updating to even more advanced version.  So you can choose which dashboard you will use. And there are no adds on the Ambient one.

Your WeatherBridge will do the uploads and also of your Webcam and can even add the weather-values on it.
You could do all those things that in-house. But why?
A free website at 000webhost and after you got all running you could switch to your own domain-name also.

You can install your own PWS_Dashboard which I support and enhance, demo for Ambient version https://pwsdashboard.net/pwsWD/ 
Or a Weather34-Meteobridge dashboard => https://weather34.com/

Or you could install a more extensive one such as Saratoga 
or my Leuven demo of my own site one.
or a MeteoTemplate

But the bottom line is, you install a standard-device the WeatherBridge, which comes with a lot of support you probably do not need. Your current upload to WU will be done by the WeatherBridge  after intial install
You, and others, can continue to view your datas at WU but then also at Ambientweather.net

You will have all the time, without any pressure, to start tinkering with small to large website a.s.o.

Succes,  Wim

P.S. Fortran and punched cards, those nice memories.  I started in  in 69 with paper-tape and machine-code.

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 05:08:56 PM »
You all have given me a lot of options to think about, research and sort out. Thank you.
I have spent some time programing a PDP-8 with iron core memory where the boot info was entered with switches and then a tape loaded the main program. Last program I loaded, the tape was almost 100 ft long. That was longer ago than I care to admit.

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 08:59:02 AM »
A few misc questions.
- Does the AmbientWeather site have a weather map or just individual weather stations? I couldn't find a map.
- Is there any other weather site that can include a web cam besides WU?

Offline mafen

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
Look in to https://www.ecowitt.net/

I think they have webcam support and a map

One downside with https://www.ecowitt.net/ is that you need to log in
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:14:54 AM by mafen »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
A few misc questions.
- Does the AmbientWeather site have a weather map or just individual weather stations? I couldn't find a map.
. . . shortened . . .
Yes there is a map, either full page or on top of the dashboard or hidden.
https://beta.ambientweather.net/dashboard/83541eff4e992284f8b53f36d411c8bc
Attached screenshot. My Ambient station  is public so every neighbour can visit it.

Wim

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
Look in to https://www.ecowitt.net/

I think they have webcam support and a map
ixlr8 is using a Davis Vantage Pro 2.  There is no way to upload to Ecowitt.net with that. Ecowitt.net is reserved for Fine Offset stations; Ecowitt, Misol, Froggit, ...etc (but not Ambient's). Ambient then has Ambientweather.net but that is open to not just the Fine Offset types they sell but also to a couple others manufacture brands that Ambient sells (UCTECH and Bresser). They have to be Ambient branded though. But anyone can upload to Ambientweather.net including with other brands that Ambient doesn't sell if you get a Meteobridge with the added Ambientweather.net license (Hint: Ambient's WeatherBridge has this license baked in and it is a Meteobridge). So long as what you have is compatible with Meteobridge.

The Ecowitt.net camera upload is a future feature. From the controls that are available on the service now it seems that the camera upload will only allow cameras that they sell. The controls show that it is limited by whitelisting of MAC address and by IMEI (cellular) type which they will probably sell at some point. What this means is that you will only be able to have a camera feed into Ecowitt.net if it is their hardware.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:14:07 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:46:07 AM »
Ecowitt does seem to be a fairly closed system. It looks like if I want to share my info with others... they need an account to be able to see it. Not really the route I want to go.

Based on my research, and comments from folks here, if I get the Ambient WeatherBridge w/USB adaptor I can plug my VP2 into it and then I can upload to a variety of places, including WU, AmbientWeather, PWSWeather and CWOP. This seems like the easiest way to go for now. Although I still want to find a way to get my webcam online but that may need to wait a while.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
The Ambient Weatherbridge (Meteobridge resold for about 50% more $$) has a webcam integration feature builtin. https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Weather_Cam_Image_Handling
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:35:46 PM by Bushman »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
The Ambient Weatherbridge (Meteobridge resold for about 50% more $$) has a webcam integration feature builtin. https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Weather_Cam_Image_Handling
Yes, but what weather sites besides WU accept webcams?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »
The Ambient Weatherbridge (Meteobridge resold for about 50% more $$)

Yes, the Ambient WeatherBridge cost more than a DIY Meteobridge. But you are also get a license for Ambientweather.net that would itself cost $160 separately. So there is some justification.

TP-Link router $35
Meteobridge license 65 Euros ($73)
Total $108

WeatherBridge $135

It is only a $27 premium difference. That is a savings of $133 on the Ambientweather.net license. You also get the benefit that you don't need the technical expertise to build it doing all the firmware flashing. You could say that saving the $27 is better than an Ambientweather.net license that you might not use, and that might very well be the case for some people. But Ambientweather.net is evolving and turning into an interesting service and there are more future updates and features planned.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:55:00 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
Yes, but what weather sites besides WU accept webcams?

Several....

AWEKAS
MetOffice WOW
WeatherCloud
and WU

I feed them all my webcam with my Meteobridge. I really like the overlay weather text feature on the image.

Many people also feed their personal weather websites
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:38:29 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 06:42:57 PM »
Several....

AWEKAS
MetOffice WOW
WeatherCloud
and WU

I feed them all my webcam with my Meteobridge. I really like the overlay weather text feature on the image.
I fed my previous webcam to WU, but I can't get WU to accept the FTP feed from my new camera, which is why I was looking for a different site to upload it to. According to FileZilla, WU is accepting my username but rejects my password.

I hadn't heard of the sites you listed, I will check them out. Thank you

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 07:58:44 PM »

Yes, the Ambient WeatherBridge cost more than a DIY Meteobridge. But you are also get a license for Ambientweather.net that would itself cost $160 separately. So there is some justification.

TP-Link router $35
Meteobridge license 65 Euros ($73)
Total $108

WeatherBridge $135

It is only a $27 premium difference. That is a savings of $133 on the Ambientweather.net license. You also get the benefit that you don't need the technical expertise to build it doing all the firmware flashing. You could say that saving the $27 is better than an Ambientweather.net license that you might not use, and that might very well be the case for some people. But Ambientweather.net is evolving and turning into an interesting service and there are more future updates and features planned.
Since I have the VP2, I need to get the USB adaptor to match the VP2 USB to the WeatherBridge USB, so it would be $145. But, like you said, I wouldn't need to deal with firmware flashing and building up the box. It would be worth it to me to have something that is basically plug and play.

Offline mstan

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »
Several....

AWEKAS
MetOffice WOW
WeatherCloud
and WU

I fed my previous webcam to WU, but I can't get WU to accept the FTP feed from my new camera, which is why I was looking for a different site to upload it to. According to FileZilla, WU is accepting my username but rejects my password.

Galfert I have a Meteobridge and send my data to the locations you listed but I can't figure out how to send my webcam which is a hikvision 2032. Can you provide any info or screen shots on your setup. Also Windy is accepting webcams now. Thanks.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 06:05:12 PM »
Several....

AWEKAS
MetOffice WOW
WeatherCloud
and WU

Galfert I have a Meteobridge and send my data to the locations you listed but I can't figure out how to send my webcam which is a hikvision 2032. Can you provide any info or screen shots on your setup. Also Windy is accepting webcams now. Thanks.

I have created a new thread to answer this question about how to capture a webcam image using a Meteobridge and also on further discussion for image manipulation and text using the Meteobridge.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38929.0

This link above was split from this thread because it went off topic from the OP. It will also serve others better for that discussion to be located in the Meteobridge board section. Basically the messages in this other link above used to exist in this thread.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:09:48 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Wayne Orwig

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »
This is probably a little late, but thought the info make be of some value to you.

I have been using an old Heathkit weather station for a few decades. Yes, decades. It had been attached to a desktop PC that I ran 24/7 with the Weather Display software. That PC also hosted a web page with the weather info, a few charts, and a webcam.

In recent years, Weather Display support for the Heathkit was an issue. The data was constantly getting corrupted and they were not able to correct the problem. My PC also needed to be replaced. And the weather station itself had a few issues.

I purchased an Ambient Weather WS-2000. Turned off my PC and web page. That unit automatically uploads data to Weather Underground AND AmbientWeather.net. All is well again. Though I was never able to get WU to accept the FTP web cam image. But I no longer needed to support that PC that was on 24/7. (btw: Ambient states that they will soon have webcam image support)

But I wanted more. So I purchased a RaspberryPI 4, and installed Apache2. I created a web page that easily grabs data from Ambient, puts everything including the web cam image on a page that I can share. I even bought a cheap Android tablet, which displays another HTML page with a random picture from my camera cloud server, the weather from my station, and a radar image. All in a format that I like.

I'm pretty happy with the result, and it wasn't too expensive. If that info helps you decide on a route to take.

anything