Author Topic: Spring/Summer '20  (Read 19595 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Spring/Summer '20
« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2020, 02:16:51 AM »
Interesting how two non severe thunderstorms behaved here lately.  On Thursday, a storm formed north of Stillwater and moved through during lunch hour and rained .56".  On Friday a repeat of the very same thing happened.  It rained .54".   It should help the moderate drought here from worsening.  Chance of more rain through Monday.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2020, 06:38:48 PM »
Highs in the 90s, high humidity, 50% chance of thunder showers here until October.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2020, 06:49:26 PM »
Highs in the 90s, high humidity, 50% chance of thunder showers here until October.
One of the most miserable summers I every spent (hot/humid stuff) was in Millington. Mere sitting caused profuse sweating...showers were worthless as soon as you stepped outside. Don't miss that one bit.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2020, 08:03:06 PM »
One of the most miserable summers I every spent (hot/humid stuff) was in Millington. Mere sitting caused profuse sweating...showers were worthless as soon as you stepped outside. Don't miss that one bit.
Ah yeah, summertime in the south.
Bring it on baby! 2 rounds of thunderstorms today.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »
I'm willing to bet you almost always have some kind of breeze in FL. Where I was at, stagnant air ruled, making bad, worse. I was only 19 then as well....

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »
I'm willing to bet you almost always have some kind of breeze in FL. Where I was at, stagnant air ruled, making bad, worse. I was only 19 then as well....
June through September in the interior can be dead calm. Beaches not so much.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2020, 09:13:24 PM »
Of course. I've certainly never spent a calm wind day at the beach, and I've had many. You need to experience what dry air is like, even with triple digit heat. Completely different experience.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2020, 02:45:24 PM »
Interesting.  A train of storms have formed just to the NW of Stillwater moving SE.  Maybe Stillwater won't be able to get out of the 70s this afternoon.  Stillwater already had a heavy storm earlier this morning.  The storm system held together and moved on to Oklahoma City with rain in some parts going over 3".  It surprised weathermen, since models suggested it would weaken before getting that further south.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »
Surprised the Southern part of Oklahoma also! Dropped from 92 down to 72 and picked up 0.48" of rain. Nice  UU

Doug

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2020, 07:10:52 PM »
The storm train didn't develop into anything strong, so just got about an extra quarter inch of rain from it. The sun did come out and high got out of the 70s to 85.    This Tuesday, it looks like there will be another try topping at 100 for the first time this summer.

The west side of the first storm to the west of me left some damage from wind gusts up to 40-80mph from the Kansas border south to OKC, but here the wind only gusted to 29mph, but July's peak gust, so far. The storm came with ominous looking shelf clouds.

As shown, it's always interesting how greatly the rain amounts can vary across town.  The southwest part stayed well under an inch, while all the east side got over an inch, peaking out at 3.04".  It's typical in July for strong storms to sometimes develop in eastern Colorado,  Kansas or even Nebraska and move south to Oklahoma. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:03:02 PM by Bunty »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2020, 08:07:48 PM »
Of course. I've certainly never spent a calm wind day at the beach, and I've had many. You need to experience what dry air is like, even with triple digit heat. Completely different experience.
Heard on the news that it might get to 118 out there.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
Sunday is progged to "officially" be 114F at KTUS. With ASOS's averaging algorithm and plus I'm 200ft lower, that'll be 116F if not 117F for me. Still waiting for the beautiful MCS's that are forming south of the border to start working their magic about 150 miles further north.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2020, 07:27:56 PM »
111F today with the same HI as dews have been holding the mid 50's. Mid 50's dew is child's play for the rest of the country, but not at an ambient 111F. Tomorrow will be fun...tack on another 4-5F or so. 8-[

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Whew, high heat index here this evening of as much as 124 with a severe storm watch until 1am.   High temp 97.  It will try again to top 100 for the first time this summer on Tuesday.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2020, 01:53:20 AM »
Whew, as a result of a severe thunderstorm watch in much of Oklahoma, a major college town in Oklahoma, Norman, had much of the power go out in the city from the result of a severe thunderstorm coming through with winds of up to 81 mph. At least 34,000 people are in the dark in Norman.  Meanwhile, in the other major college town in Oklahoma, Stillwater, managed to steer clear of the worst part of the severe storms and there are no power outages.  The max gust during the severe thunderstorm warning in my Stillwater locality was only 34 mph at my weather station.  The .58" that came from the storm should help in keeping the moderate drought in the area from getting any worse.  Thank God for the BIG blessings! 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:29:08 AM by Bunty »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »
IT IS SO GROSS!!!!!
No wind.
Dew point close to 80F.

Storms are popping again.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
Dave, you in Florida?

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
feels like it

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »
I left the door between the garage and the house open for a little bit.

It is now raining in my coat room.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2020, 05:24:36 PM »
Pictured, an isolated shower cloud goes up ENE of Stillwater on Wednesday evening as snapped from Boomer Lake Park.  That was characteristic of very widely scattered hit or mostly miss pop up showers for the past week.  However, the pattern is about to significantly change. A heat dome that was not strong enough to get high temps to the 100s is moving west, allowing for a cold front to come in on Monday with heavy rain possible in the forecast.  Highs will be down as much as the low 80s then.  For now, Sunday afternoon, it's plenty hot, with the heat index around 105, along with a small shower to the north moving SW.  The heat index this summer has peaked out to 126. 

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2020, 12:10:46 AM »
Once again, I'll believe 3+" inches of rain when I see it.  The widespread rain that is happening tonight in much of Kansas is supposed to be in Oklahoma Monday night.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2020, 09:11:07 PM »
July precipitation GID NWS coverage area. Average for the area ranges from 4.3 in the east to around 3.0 in the west. Nice rainy month here. Not so much for central NE. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »
We had a front and very strong winds come through yesterday.  There was whitecaps on the water in the lake, which is unusual for this time of year.  No rain, but lower humidity and good breezes make it seem very nice.  I'll take it!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
Rare, luxurious summer weather has been the order of the day this week in central Oklahoma with highs in the low 80s and dew point in the low 60s. The rest of the plains, not including Texas,  and midwest is even better with highs in 70s.    Oklahoma City for July was 1.6 degrees below normal temp wise.  Global warming went on a delightful break!

But normal summer temps return starting Friday with temps slated to be in the mid to upper 90s. 

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »
It has been mountain resort beautiful here in Kansas for several days. Highs in the 70s. This ends by Thursday however.