Author Topic: Joining Davis Tech Support  (Read 884 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Joining Davis Tech Support
« on: April 19, 2024, 11:00:31 PM »
Now that I've completed my PhD (and am "Dr. Nathan Parker"), I have more time on my hands to work and earn back the money I paid into my college. :-) I'm still at Earth Networks (many of you probably remember me from the WeatherBug Backyard Community). With the merger of Earth Networks and Davis under AEM, I'll be taking on some cross-brand work for AEM. One of those areas will be tackling some tech support for Davis due to my knowledge of Davis hardware and services. I'll likely be starting out with email support, but I may also be answering the phone sometime when you call into Davis Support.

If WxForum needs a Davis rep here as an admin or moderator on any of the Davis forums, I'd be willing to jump in. Not sure how active I'll be since I'm focusing a lot of email support for them, but I can check in from time to time and watch the discussions.

Expect to see some product training videos and articles from me on the Davis website as well coming up. I've done a lot of product training for Earth Networks, so I'm going to carry some of that over into the Davis side of things. If there are particular Frequently Asked Questions you'd like to see articles or videos on, let me know, and I'll see what can be done about adding them to their support page. Since I've owned a ton of Davis hardware over the years and even completely disassembled and re-assembled a VP2 (and it still worked), I think I have a little bit of experience on troubleshooting Davis hardware. :-)
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Joining Davis Tech Support
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 11:16:38 PM »
If WxForum needs a Davis rep here as an admin or moderator on any of the Davis forums, I'd be willing to jump in.
Probably not a big deal, but as an employee, that's a straight conflict of interest. No offense, but I'm a "no" vote.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 11:56:01 PM »
If WxForum needs a Davis rep here as an admin or moderator on any of the Davis forums, I'd be willing to jump in.
Probably not a big deal, but as an employee, that's a straight conflict of interest. No offense, but I'm a "no" vote.

When I worked for WeatherBug, I was the moderator of the WeatherBug forum section on here. After WeatherBug was sold to the new owners, I had WxForum pull the WeatherBug section since the new owners had no desire in keeping it active or assigning a moderator for it.

It's purely an offer from my end, WxForum is welcome to go either way with it, and I'm OK with whatever they decide. As I said, I wouldn't be heavily active since I'll still be spending the bulk of my time in email support. I'd also take a very hands off approach to moderation and pretty much defer to the wishes of WxForum's admins like I did when I was the moderator for the WeatherBug section should they be interested.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 12:04:53 AM »
Understood, and I get this is merely a forum, but let's just say I've become increasingly wary and weary of unchecked power.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 08:31:05 AM »
Congratulations on the new position.
Hope everything works out well for you.
As for a moderator I wouldn't have any issues but ultimately it would be up to Ken.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 11:09:55 AM »

Maybe Davis Instruments has a hidden agenda in taking over the forums and calling it their own lol
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 01:44:44 PM »
Heaven forbid somebody technical who works for the vendor this forum is associated with actually volunteers to help provide support as a volunteer here.  That can't be permitted. There must be nefarious things happening or planned.

(sheesh - exactly what is WRONG with you people ???)
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture, WH34 soilTemp (pi4)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 06:25:53 PM »
You people need to chill out. I made my concern known. God forbid, it may not be yours. Ain't a damn thing "wrong" with that. Exactly the contrary.

Offline srpawski

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 08:10:51 PM »
The late product architect of Uniden Scanners, the SDS100 and SDS200 for those of you into scanning and have seen the Radio Reference forums, I am referring to Uniden UP Man, Paul Optiz, who provided tech support to the forum community and there was no conflict of interest.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 05:07:21 AM »
Heaven forbid somebody technical who works for the vendor this forum is associated with actually volunteers to help provide support as a volunteer here.  That can't be permitted. There must be nefarious things happening or planned.

(sheesh - exactly what is WRONG with you people ???)

I guess "you people" don't know what "lol" means....

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline srpawski

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 04:43:14 PM »
I’d be more concerned about Global Thermonuclear Warfare ATM….  lol

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 07:10:53 PM »
I actually sent a support email today asking if you guys are still doing refurbs on the VP2 ISS and how much they are (US).  I'm getting a little tired of having to piecemeal parts from Scaled (he's gotten so much more expensive lately; example...24 hour FARS fan last I bought one was 39 dollars, now they're 89.  The solar panel cover used to be 25 and now they're 52..mine's gone brittle after a replacement after just four years.  Crazy).
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline srpawski

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 07:17:22 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  His prices are a joke compared to what they used to be.  The standard ISS is $600 whereas the complete base station with the new touch screen console is only $690.  I remember when the basic ISS was like $325.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2024, 07:44:34 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  His prices are a joke compared to what they used to be.
Really? Do you think he has the only consumer items that the prices have gone through the roof? Please... Merely a reflection.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 08:46:59 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  His prices are a joke compared to what they used to be.  The standard ISS is $600 whereas the complete base station with the new touch screen console is only $690.  I remember when the basic ISS was like $325.

Scaled Instruments likely sets his prices based on the price he pays Davis. So the price to us consumers  is really determined by the price Davis sells its product to Scaled Instruments—so, blame Davis not Scaled. That said, the real blame belongs to the inflation the US has experienced the past few years.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline srpawski

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 09:07:34 PM »

Scaled Instruments likely sets his prices based on the price he pays Davis. So the price to us consumers  is really determined by the price Davis sells its product to Scaled Instruments—so, blame Davis not Scaled. That said, the real blame belongs to the inflation the US has experienced the past few years.

Yeah, I get that.  I agree to that to a certain extent but I also think he is gouging like everyone else is.  His prices were creeping up before inflation hit.  Probably also somewhat to his costs increasing but he also is the only vender that I know of that parts out systems like he does so he also fits a niche for which he became popular.

I could go on about the Government and this joke of an administration that has proven itself but I’m sure there is a clause on here the same as everywhere else where politics are taboo and should not be spoken of.  I’ve already said enough you can figure out my stance.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 05:13:17 AM »
Scaled Instruments likely sets his prices based on the price he pays Davis. So the price to us consumers  is really determined by the price Davis sells its product to Scaled Instruments—so, blame Davis not Scaled.

I am sure that this is a correct reading of the situation. Trade pricing will be at a fixed discount to Davis RRP.

Just to give you one example of price increases: In 2019, a 6410 anemometer Davis RRP was $155 (itself an increase on 2018). In 2024 that same part costs $235 RRP. That's over 50% increase in 5 years. And the anemometer is fairly typical.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 09:22:32 AM »

Yeah, I get that.  I agree to that to a certain extent but I also think he is gouging like everyone else is.  His prices were creeping up before inflation hit.  Probably also somewhat to his costs increasing but he also is the only vender that I know of that parts out systems like he does so he also fits a niche for which he became popular.

I could go on about the Government and this joke of an administration that has proven itself but I’m sure there is a clause on here the same as everywhere else where politics are taboo and should not be spoken of.  I’ve already said enough you can figure out my stance.

Ryan explained at one point that the way he would do parts is that he'd have a surplus of ISS units that he'd essentially 'leech' the parts for.  I'm not sure if he does that now, but if he does it could be that if he wanted to remain a distributor that Davis could have mandated he not do that and get the smaller replacmennt parts directly from them.  I'm just not sure.  I can't see how a price jump from 39 to 89 in 4 years is logical though unless there are other factors.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 09:58:13 AM »
It has been about 5 years since AEM acquired Davis. My guess is after the acquisition (August 2019-per AEM website), the new owners believed the Davis product line could withstand price increases without losing market share. The other two things they have done is having some manufacturing of Davis products made in places like China that have lower costs rather than the US, and moved the company, where possible,  to subscription-based pricing—like Weatherlink Live. In short, if I was a shareholder in AEM I would likely be happy. Time will tell whether this “new direction” will be good for the pws market.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 11:23:02 AM »
It has been about 5 years since AEM acquired Davis....

Well, I certainly wouldn't discount some pressure from AEM, but that's only part of the story, eg:

• AIUI some Davis components, eg circuit boards, displays etc have been made in Asia for many years. So that's nothing new or recent.
  • Software subscriptions have been in place for 10 years now, maybe more. (But that's really no surprise. Other than open-source software, subscriptions are the norm for many if not most programs and online services these days.)
  • Cumulative inflation really has been substantial at eg 25% over the past 5 years
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 07:52:04 PM »
The late product architect of Uniden Scanners, the SDS100 and SDS200 for those of you into scanning and have seen the Radio Reference forums, I am referring to Uniden UP Man, Paul Optiz, who provided tech support to the forum community and there was no conflict of interest.

Spektrum RC radio software engineer on forums also. Posts on a few of them. Reveals and assists with what is allowed and keeps secret what is required.