Author Topic: Atlas anti Bird strip build  (Read 877 times)

Offline Gentleman Adventurer

Atlas anti Bird strip build
« on: August 04, 2022, 01:56:33 AM »
Thought I would try and repay all the info I've learned by hanging around. Here is my attempt at stopping our feathered friends from landing on the rain gauge.

Received a new Atlas on Fathers day to replace my old Iris. Here are a couple pictures of it installed with my attempt to keep the birds from using the rain gauge as their personal toilet. We will see how well it works.

Construction was pretty straight forward. 2 1/2" strips cut from a 4x10" K&S copper metal plate from Hobby Lobby. and 3" spikes made from 1/16" copper rod. Pack of 5 also from Hobby Lobby. Cut the strips, bend around the top of the rain gauge (use masking tape to protect the solar cells) Overlap and solder the ends. Do NOT solder while bent around the rain gauge. IT WILL melt! Move it to your work table! Space the 3" spikes about every 1.25" and solder to the strip.

Use UV resistant hot glue to glue the Bird spike strip to the rain gauge.

All soldering was done with a 140 watt Weller gun. It did it, but took some time and a lot of heat. Small torch may be better. YMMV

Re: Atlas anti Bird strip build
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 01:58:36 AM »
Here are a close up of it's construction and mounted.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 04:27:56 AM »
Nice idea for a unit that has no built in spike feature.

I would deffo use a torch. Clamp the spike with a couple small stainless alligator clips and hit the back side of the strap with a small butane torch until the solder flows out nice.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 08:55:04 AM »
Clamp the spike with a couple small stainless alligator clips

I used a couple very small aluminum ones. They do suck up additional heat though.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 09:32:33 AM »
Aluminum would work too. Anything the solder will not stick to. Lots of heat on the strap is key. I have bird feeders outside so adding spikes to the back-up cone would be good. It keeps the large birds off and the tiny ones that fit between spikes don't poop a lot.