Author Topic: In Flight Clouds Including Virga  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
In Flight Clouds Including Virga
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:55:22 AM »
Virga is awesome but really shines when taken in flight... In fact in flight photography of all clouds give a very unique perspective of our weather.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: In Flight Clouds Including Virga
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »
Nice.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 10:45:22 PM »
I know that pilots are busy, but at times they must have a moment to grab pictures of spectacular clouds.  I'd think that they'd have a unique opportunity to get weather and cloud photos.  A few years ago a commercial airline pilot had some incredible thunderstorm pictures taken after dark.  There was chatter about  faked pix, but he had taken his cell phone camera and wedged it close to the window and grabbed some photos of a storm in, I believe, South America that were amazing.  And they see this all the time.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 10:51:35 PM »
I don't get to fly much, and since I retired no longer do for work which was the main reason I could go places.
I was returning from Jacksonville, FL and at sunset had a window on the east side of the plane.  My relatively good luck that the plexigas wasn't too chewed up or dirty and got this picture of the antisolar point as the sun was setting, and a few clouds to the west were casting their shadows.

I love clouds.  I appreciate those who do take photos and share them. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 11:02:06 PM »
Thanks to search engine magic, I found a few from the pilot/photographer I was thinking of. I'm sure they have much cleaner windows that the passengers do!

One other impressive time I recall was flying from Kansas City back to Minneapolis at near sundown and seeing  some isolated, relatively small but very energetic climbing updrafts making an impressive series of one after another that we were passing by. I thought we were in for a tooth-rattling ride, but it was as smooth as silk, and after sunset they calmed down.   No lighting which was a huge disappointment, but still memorable.  Smart phones weren't common or exist at all, so I have no images except in my mind.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:11 PM »
I know that pilots are busy, but at times they must have a moment to grab pictures of spectacular clouds.
That's mainly only coming and going. When at cruising altitude, staying awake on longer flights can be somewhat challenging, especially at night. Lotsa mindless chit-chat and fidgeting. Your pics are indeed spectacular, and the one on the bottom I've seen before. I think it was taken over the Atlantic coming from or going to Rio.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 01:07:27 AM »
Wow all the photos here are spectacular - let's keep this in-flight photo thread going!

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 01:14:08 AM »
The one's I did not start with:

Man-made clouds or we have visitors

Inversion:

Yes there are some clouds in this picture:

Alright more clouds:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:18:45 AM by Randall Kayfes »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »
Those contrails are amazing.  Indeed, I hope others have shots to keep sharing.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 03:17:13 PM »
I know that pilots are busy, but at times they must have a moment to grab pictures of spectacular clouds.
That's mainly only coming and going. When at cruising altitude, staying awake on longer flights can be somewhat challenging, especially at night. Lotsa mindless chit-chat and fidgeting. Your pics are indeed spectacular, and the one on the bottom I've seen before. I think it was taken over the Atlantic coming from or going to Rio.
That bottom one is the screen saver on my PC.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll