Weather Station Hardware > WiFiLogger/Meteo-Pi

Data Logging backup directly from Ambient WS-2902

(1/1)

Chiller:
I just got an Ambient Weather WS2902 up and running but I have learned that to have complete data logs it must be connected to the internet at all times. The unit itself has no rolling log.

I have seen some youtube videos using a raspberry pi and a USB dongle to sniff the communication and log the data. However, I have also seen that this solution is still vulnerable to power and/or internet outages as the unit does not blindly broadcast the data but only sends data only if the dock/indoor display is online. 

I am looking to try to limit my potential for data loss, as cheaply as possible. Ideally, I would like to have the data gathered directly from to weather station and put into a rolling cache that I can use as a backup in case of data loss.

The easiest solution I am aware of is also more expensive than I am willing to spend in getting A UPS on all mission-critical hardware. Which in my case would require a minimum of 2 UPSs (Some hardware cannot be moved to consolidate into one location. At least not easily). That solution would give a buffer for power outages but does not guard at all against internet outages.

Is what I'm looking to do even possible and if it is what is the best way to go about that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version