Author Topic: Confirmation of signals please  (Read 955 times)

Offline stuiow

Confirmation of signals please
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:39:34 AM »
Hi all,
Station 2821 here.
I have 3 ferrite antennas on my H field board and also have the e field amp installed too on my system blue 19.5 PCB.

I just want to confirm what i should see on my signals display with all these 4 antennas attached.
All options available to me are ticked, Channel A,B,C on Amp 1 (H1) and Channel A on amp 2 (E1).

On the signals screen, i only really see anything happen with the 1B display. The others look flat.
I tried i simulate some lightning while watching the graph, and still was the case.

Is this how it is supposed to be?
I was expecting to see 1a, 1b and 1c to see similar signals. (see attatched).
Am i wrong to assume or is something not quite right?
I'm using patch cable (shielded) to connect the pre-amp to the unit.
Thanks all,
Stuart

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Confirmation of signals please
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:59:16 AM »
Am i wrong to assume or is something not quite right?
Thanks all,
Stuart
First, let's get this system into a manual, optimization mode....
On your Operator's page:
I'm assuming your three ferrites were ordered with system, if so the core diameter is probably 10mm, but may be 8, or similar depending on what Wolfgang had in stock at the time.
The Electric field antenna is not configured correctily, either... see the attached.....small matters, but helps server apply approximate 'finger print' delays & responses for antenna type.

On the Controller...
Get this booger all "manual", basic setup mode & settings....make it look like the attached... don't try to do any troubleshooting, optimization, etc with ANY automatics / filters etc on or enabled... try to leave all thresholds at ADC standard ref of 100mv so a consistent 'relative system gain' can be assured, regardless of analog gain settings, and helps keep your 'perspective' 'relationship' with all other network stations consistent, since you need at least three of them correlating with you to 'locate' anything.  :thumbsup: .
Set as in attached.

Now you can trouble shoot what may be issues with H channels a and c
and with the E channel...

Check out my systems: https://frankfortweather.us/fwxBLPublic/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:15:41 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline stuiow

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:03:03 AM »
OK, pretty much set up exactly as yours (i dont have filters).

Still getting lots (interference lots) on the 2nd channel.

I've taken the pre-amp down and used a short cable to play with it at a lower level.

The specs say to use "normal cat cable" - is normal 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8?
Using a ethernet cable tester, all pins are reading OK. It's certainly not cross over.
Thats what i have got in use(shielded).

When i use my damp finger to initiate a pulse on each channel, i get a pulse between the - and gnd, (not + and -).

I get a red LED up on the board, so i can assume the power is getting through on the right cable pin ok.

I'm off for a sleep, i'll be back on this later tonight/tomorrow now.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:01:53 AM »
You should ALWAYS use SHIELDED cable from controller to H preamp. You may in fact, depending on local setups and networks, need to use SHIELDED cat to switch, router, etc.. I've had to switch from controller to 'internet' coms to all shielded, as environment degraded over the years,. E assembly must NOT be grounded in any fashion, except the coax shielding return to controller, and the best results on E will be obtained with at least double shielded coax.  Many issues with the H preamp channels are simply due to (arrrgh) connecting antennas inadvertently to the wrong block... or have a 'broken' block solder pin due, in my case, to being such a Sasquatch.  Th E preamp block is even more vulnerable to broken pin, ... heh.. I keep a supply of 'em because I'm always diddling around... though I do lock em in with low temp hot melt which helps, and easily removed.