Author Topic: SmartHub Abandonment: What Work-Arounds Are There?  (Read 8220 times)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: SmartHub Abandonment: What Work-Arounds Are There?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
DoctorKnow,

Try the LinuxLive USB Creator. It will allow you to create a bootable USB or DVD from your ISO file. Before you put anything on a hard drive use the bootable device that you create to boot your laptop using your selected Ubuntu version.

This will allow you to check all the laptop hardware on the Ubuntu OS. You do not want to find out after you have loaded it on the drive, that video drivers, USB drivers or something else for an older laptop requires a whole lot of effort to get them to work. I have been there, trying to use XP hardware on current Ubuntu releases. Yes, it can be done but current Ubuntu releases expect pretty recent hardware.

Good luck!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »
I'll give it a try, Thanks.

I tried to load just the ISO file, from a USB thumb drive, but it would not boot and would show on the screen "No operating system found". Hopefully your method will make it work.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
TIP - If you still have a spinning drive on an old computer the single most performance improvement you can make is to swap out the hard drive for an SSD (Solid State Drive). No moving parts. Less energy. No concerns about crashed heads or worn bearings, completely silent operation, but best of all a ten fold in performance. Almost eliminates the hour glass or spinning circle. Things just happen instantaneously. The excuse years ago was that it was too costly for an SSD. But today everyone should have a computer with an SSD. Once you try a computer with an SSD you'll wonder how you lived with a spinning drive for so long.

My personal favorite for an old computer upgrade:
Samsung 860 EVO 256 GB ~$65

And to pull data from the old drive all you need is a SATA to USB adapter to read the old drive. And please don't use cloning software. The best thing you can do is a fresh install of the operating system on the new drive.

* As great as an SSD is, you still need backup.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:16:54 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »

I tried to load just the ISO file, from a USB thumb drive, but it would not boot and would show on the screen "No operating system found". Hopefully your method will make it work.
Excuse my ignorance on this but I though you burn an ISO image to a disk or USB drive, not copy it. In Windows 10 you can do it by right clicking on the .ISO file and select “Burn Disk Image”. Then you just boot to which ever device you burned the ISO image on.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »

Excuse my ignorance on this but I though you burn an ISO image to a disk or USB drive, not copy it. In Windows 10 you can do it by right clicking on the .ISO file and select “Burn Disk Image”. Then you just boot to which ever device you burned the ISO image on.

That's correct.  The information has to be laid down on the media in a particular way, not merely copied as a file.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 06:35:45 PM »
Missing PAE kernel on this laptop. So this method did not work either. Yes I "burned it."

Offline John Z

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »
I think Ubuntu is trying to tell you that your old XP vintage processor doesn't have the addressing range to cope with modern Ubuntu and no Physical Address Extender patch is included in current releases.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 12:12:16 AM »
FWIW, I am running Ubuntu 16 on a 12 year old HP laptop. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline John Z

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
DoctorKnow,

This might help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Note that this focuses on Lubuntu, the light version of Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:56:11 AM by John Z »

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »
Trying to run a 64-bit processor version of Linux on a 32-bit computer?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
I ran the 32 bit version. Said no PAE Kernel and would not boot. I tried to turn on PAE in windows, made no difference. I cannot turn on PAE in virtualbox because it does not load either. The PC is an IBM Thinkpad.

The best way to go now is Raspberry Pi. Maybe I will have better luck...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:31 AM »
DoctorKnow,

This might help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Note that this focuses on Lubuntu, the light version of Ubuntu.

I'll give it another try, Thanks John.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »
It works! 

Now the fun really begins. :D

Offline John Z

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
That's great! The old Thinkpads were wonderful machines. They deserve to be kept productive as long as possible! Good luck, DoctorKnow.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »
Funny story - I had a 2000 or 2001 vintage ThinkPad open on my bench yesterday, to swap out the CMOS battery for a relative who still uses the thing for word processing.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Knobby44

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 02:17:49 AM »
I'm new to the Pi world, but use command line windows all the time for support.

I've tried both the Acuparse setup and the weewx, and no luck on either one of them.

I may have to redo the install and start over again. Too many different tries to install software may not be a good thing.

It would be great if there was a little more explanation at some of the steps for the installations since not everyone is terribly familiar with the Pi way of doing things. I didn't see any requirements on the Acuparse pages and at the very end, it said some error about Apache. Before that, I wasn't really sure what to enter for the FQDN, as I don't have any idea what it is in reference to. It'd be great if there was a sentence about what each setting was looking for. I searched all the different pages I found and nothing mentions FQDN for the setup.

I'll have to take the advice above and post some better questions once I get that far.

Unfortunately, last year when Acurite offered the greatly discounted updated device, I wasn't in a position to purchase one of them and am now for sure not going to purchase anything from Chaney/Acurite. So I'll have to some up with a different method for presenting the data that my hardware is still delivering from the SmartHub.

Offline billfor

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »
Here's another short piece of code you can use to get the values from the bridge.

Looks like Acurite stopped sending the normal response message from their service on March 1st. I updated my code to send the normal response that the bridge expects to get from acurite. Hopefully that will keep it working....

https://github.com/billfor/acurite-bridge

Offline Knobby44

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 12:12:08 AM »
Fantastic, I'll give that a try tonight and see how it goes.

Offline ultramed

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 02:35:39 AM »
My first post here. Also posted to a similar thread.  I found a simple solution to the rain reset issue. As you know, the end of service for the smarthub on Feb 28th was only for the communication link to the MyAcuRite servers. The smarthub will however still upload current readings to weather underground.  For some strange reason Acurite did not include an internal clock with the smarthub, so it relied on MyAcuRite’s time server to reset the smarthub every day at midnight. Without this reset signal the rain gauge readings stored in the smarthub keeps accumulating. Temperature, humidity, wind, and barometric readings do not require this clock reset as they are dynamic readings and not cumulative. The simple solution is the add a $10 digital timer to the power adapter for the smarthub.  Set it to power off at 11:59 PM then power on at 12:01 AM. Problem solved. Remember, only weather underground will get updates, just like before. MyAcuRite is gone forever, and good riddance.

Offline MoonFri

• Bungalow Heaven - Mentor Station
Re: SmartHub Abandonment: What Work-Arounds Are There? - Acuparse
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2019, 02:35:32 PM »
My Vote is for Acuparse - I have experimented with the more expensive Meteobridge (https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home) which worked well but did run into some hiccups due to the limited router processing power also for the updates there is a cost. Unfortunately with the recent SmartHub changes Meteobridge is no longer a solution as may date was no longer being published to WUnderground.

I have a few RaspberryPi's and have some Unix experience so when I found Acuparse i jumped in and while I did have an issue initializing the database once it was up and running. It has been rock solid. Instruction for the Pi can be found here. (https://github.com/acuparse/acuparse/wiki/Installation-on-Raspberry-Pi)

Acuparse seems to be updating on a fairly regular steady schedule with a recent version 2.9 just last week.

Yes eventually I would like to dump my 5-1 setup for a more sophisticated setup but I found myself enjoying the tinkering to keep it alive.

My setup is a Acurite 5-1, separate Tower for Temp/Humidity, SmartHub, RaspberryPi 2 B+ with Acuparse 2.9, and a 8 GB SD Card.

I could see about uploading a Virgin Image almost ready to use but there would still need top be some tweaking for:

Individual Network (192.168.x.1; or 10.x.x.x)
WiFi Passwords
Database setup username and password.

I have mine setup on a special port number so I can view the settings from work, but the overall goal was just to keep the Wunderground data flowing.

Happy to help if I can.