Author Topic: Resource For Interpreting Graphs  (Read 288 times)

Offline modean987

• What the heck am I getting myself into?
Resource For Interpreting Graphs
« on: September 16, 2020, 11:15:10 AM »
Moderator: Please move to proper sub-forum if this is not the correct place to ask about this.

I've got my GW10002 up-n-running, made my WU and Ecowitt accounts, and an now seeing graphed data. While the graphs are easy enough to figure out, there's some weird things in them that I don't understand and would appreciate any links to reference materials that will teach me how to better interpret these graphs.

For example, yesterday 15 September 2020, I got these wind readings. Wind direction starts out consistent and then for several hours it looks like an old Pong game! Also, the wind gusts seem to be consistently, well, gusting. Is that normal?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Then there's the UV/Solar graphs. Looks good... goes up and up and up as the day progresses and then comes down as evening arrives. But what's up with those sharp drops at 12:30 pm and during 4-4:30pm. Is that normal?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Inquiring minds want to know why! :grin:

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
Re: Resource For Interpreting Graphs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
the sharp drops could be a cloud or something (i.e. plane, bird etc.) creating shade momentarily. Normal if its actually something blocking the sun.

Gust is wind that sustained for 20 seconds or less. Wind is more constant (i.e. > 20 seconds). Looks normal to me (including the direction).

Wind is very very local, i.e. the wind you experience is probably not the same wind your neighbor experiences.
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt HP2551-C (SOLD - replaced with Home Assistant Fully Kiosk FireTab HD10)
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH41 (Honeywell-based USB/Supercap modified)
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35
Ecowitt Wittboy running on 12VDC  solar power

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
It would help a bit if you provided a "wide" photo / image that shows your station and the surroundings.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline modean987

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
the sharp drops could be a cloud or something (i.e. plane, bird etc.) creating shade momentarily. Normal if its actually something blocking the sun.

I was hoping it was something like that. We did have several large clouds forming yesterday. It was probably one of those. Now I know what to expect in that regard.

Gust is wind that sustained for 20 seconds or less. Wind is more constant (i.e. > 20 seconds). Looks normal to me (including the direction).

Good to know. I had no clue if the gusting dots were normal or not. I was hoping it wasn't because the unit was bouncing around -- the mount is temporary but shouldn't bounce in the calm breezes we're having. I plan to get a more permanent solution in place today or tomorrow.

Wind is very very local, i.e. the wind you experience is probably not the same wind your neighbor experiences.

I noted this when reviewing other local stations. My concern was how the direction bounced back and forth between the 0 and 360 degree areas..... ahhhhhhhh! It wasn't really bouncing back and forth.... it's a circle and 360 is just the other side of zero! #-o

Needless to day, I'm a real newbie at this and worry about whether my gear is A) working properly and B) mounted properly to preclude false data readings. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

Offline modean987

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »
It would help a bit if you provided a "wide" photo / image that shows your station and the surroundings.

The mount is temporary at this point. It's secure enough not to wobble about in the calm breezes we've had but won't stand up to real gusts. I'm going to the hardware store today to get the permanent mounting hardware. I'll post a photo once I get the permanent mount done.

Basically, I'm going to try to "kennel clip" two 5 or 6 foot lengths of galvanized pipe to a 2-3/4 chain link fence corner post (rock solid). That'll get it above the shed and mesquites and the 5 foot of bottom pipe secured to the fence post should ensure there's minimum sway at the top. I should be able to unscrew the pipe sections to do maintenance on the unit. We'll see -- the best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley

As for my wind questions, being the newb I am, I equated the linear graph with the weather vane ping-ponging back and forth between zero and 360 and now realize 0 and 360 are next to each other on a circle.  :lol:

Offline kenthcwx

• Contributor
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »

For example, yesterday 15 September 2020, I got these wind readings. Wind direction starts out consistent and then for several hours it looks like an old Pong game! Also, the wind gusts seem to be consistently, well, gusting. Is that normal?

Wind direction like that is perfectly normal, nice & mostly clumped together & not completely all over the place. Mine is usually all over the place due to houses in the way. Yours is positioned much better!  :grin:

Then there's the UV/Solar graphs. Looks good... goes up and up and up as the day progresses and then comes down as evening arrives. But what's up with those sharp drops at 12:30 pm and during 4-4:30pm. Is that normal?

Yes, it's either a bit of cloud or something else blocking the sun from hitting the station. Could be a building, etc.

Froggit WH4000
MeteoShield Professional
Ecowitt WH32-EP
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WN30
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline modean987

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »

Yes, it's either a bit of cloud or something else blocking the sun from hitting the station. Could be a building, etc.

Thanks for that observation. Yesterday, the downward spike happened at 12:54pm. Today, there was a smaller one at about 1:19pm. I don't think they're related, so I'm going with it being a cloud shadow. Just the same, I'll watch the graph and to see if there's a recurring pattern.

anything