Author Topic: Finally put my weather station up properly  (Read 1410 times)

Offline safetythird

• Luckaborough Farm
Finally put my weather station up properly
« on: March 07, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
It's been sat on a fence post for the past few weeks until I got round to putting a proper pole up. It's a Froggit station (ecowitt/fine offset etc). The pole is a 20' aluminium scaffold pole on a couple of hefty galvanised brackets and stainless clamps from https://www.aerialsandtv.com who were very helpful in getting the right brackets for me. It's mounted on the side of our barn and about 15' above the roof line. By slackening the brackets I can slide the pole down to the ground which leaves the station able to be checked/cleaned etc while standing on the roof.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Finally put my weather station up properly
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 01:46:58 PM »
By slackening the brackets I can slide the pole down to the ground which leaves the station able to be checked/cleaned etc while standing on the roof.

Clever setup! Mine is a pain in the arse to clean.

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
Ooo it looks cold.  I really don't miss english winters!  :-)
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline Felixus

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »
It's been sat on a fence post for the past few weeks until I got round to putting a proper pole up. It's a Froggit station (ecowitt/fine offset etc). The pole is a 20' aluminium scaffold pole on a couple of hefty galvanised brackets and stainless clamps from https://www.aerialsandtv.com who were very helpful in getting the right brackets for me. It's mounted on the side of our barn and about 15' above the roof line. By slackening the brackets I can slide the pole down to the ground which leaves the station able to be checked/cleaned etc while standing on the roof.

Hi,

Considering of earthing the pole? I can see an electrical cable on a metal wire. I know we don't have many lightnings in the UK, but just wondering... Nice long pole btw.  [tup]
Misol HP2550 433MHz
Ecowitt GW1000 WiFi Gateway
WH31 Temperature & Humidity Sensor
WH32 Temperature & Humidity Sensor
WH51 Soil Moisture Sensor
WH65 Osprey Sensor Array
WH57 Lightning Sensor

Offline safetythird

• Luckaborough Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
Ah now I’d not thought of that, thanks for suggesting it. I have a spare earth post from our electric fence which I could hammer in below it and I’m sure there’s some spare twin and earth knocking around which should be fine for the few meters needed to go from the clamps to the post. Project for the next couple of days I think.

Offline safetythird

• Luckaborough Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:50:55 PM »

I can live with the cold but it’s the 6 solid months of rain that get to me, that incessant gray dampness that’s just souls destroying. I spent a decade living and working in hot countries and damn do I miss it.

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »

I can live with the cold but it’s the 6 solid months of rain that get to me, that incessant gray dampness that’s just souls destroying. I spent a decade living and working in hot countries and damn do I miss it.

When I lived in North Wales, I remember driving along the A499 (coast road to Caernarfon) one day and it seemed really odd...the sun had come out.  It was really weird, I hadn't seen sunshine for so long it really made me feel happy suddenly.
Don't have that problem anymore, it has been replaced by sun, sun, sun, and drought.  Just had 2.8mm of rain and jumping up and down, so excited!
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57

Offline safetythird

• Luckaborough Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »
Having been to NZ twice I’ve only half jokingly said that if I ever go back, I’m staying.

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 04:44:20 PM »
Having been to NZ twice I’ve only half jokingly said that if I ever go back, I’m staying.

It's not a bad place to call home.  I miss a few things about the UK, but after 39 years, I've grown very accustomed to it.  :grin:

If there was one thing I would really like to do here, but can't,  it's go for a walk along the prom at Llandudno. For some reason, I really miss the atmosphere. That and see places like Conwy castle. I think I miss the antiquity.
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57

Offline Felixus

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 07:32:13 PM »
I guess home is where your heart is.  ;)
Misol HP2550 433MHz
Ecowitt GW1000 WiFi Gateway
WH31 Temperature & Humidity Sensor
WH32 Temperature & Humidity Sensor
WH51 Soil Moisture Sensor
WH65 Osprey Sensor Array
WH57 Lightning Sensor