Author Topic: Personal weather site  (Read 1495 times)

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
Personal weather site
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:05:08 PM »
I am interested in building a custom weather web page. It has been years since I have used HTML, but I know there are sites that offer templates that I could copy and edit to fit my wants/needs. I would like some sort of real-time format, essentially like rapid fire Weather Underground-like updates. Does someone have a guide or instructions on how I would use the "Export Data" section of the logger? I feel like I am back to square one on this area of expertise. Also, does anyone have any pages I could peruse for ideas or sites that offer templates that you like? Thanks, in advance.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Personal weather site
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 07:24:01 PM »

Hi,
This page is being updated by WiFiLogger [size=78%]Komoka, ON Canada Smart Home Weather Station (komokaweather.com)[/size]
I also use WiFiLogger for CumulusMX and for other templates click on the Links tab http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.php

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:35:38 PM »
A lot of people use the templates at https://saratoga-weather.org/index.php.  There is a lot of support for those templates on this forum by the developer as well as other users.  You'll also need some way to get the data from weather station to your web server.  I also use CumulusMX but there are many options available.  The Weather Software section of the forum is a good place to look to see what is available.  You'll probably get more responses to questions regarding setting up a website in the Weather Web Site Help sub forum at https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=40.0
Eric

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:44:22 PM »
I appreciate the responses, fellas. Thank you! I was hoping to just use the logger to upload the data to the server so that I did not need to have a computer on to run additional software when I am not there. What I would like to do is build a site for a station I plan to install at our cabin in the mountains. I will check out your suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:49:33 PM by jcookjr82 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 01:01:52 PM »
Well you don't need to have a computer running in terms of what would be a traditional computer. I good option today is to use a Raspberry Pi. You can think of the Raspberry Pi much as you do any other component of your weather station where you just see appliance parts. The Raspberry Pi has many benefits over a traditional computer...

- Small
- affordable
- very low energy use
- reliable
- extremely customizable and adaptable to run many different software (no programing knowledge required)
- remotely accessible
- local control of your data
- extremely easy start using as many premade images exist that makes it so that you don't need any Linux knowledge
- they are extremely popular and thus the support from the user community is vast

That said .... there are some solutions that have a website pull data from some of the places that you already my be uploading to. For example it is possible to run some templates that pull from your WU station. That is just one of many similar solutions. Another solution is to pull from weatherlink.com. These are indirect and rely on these other services to be running correctly. You have a middle-man and with that comes the many constraints in data timeliness and in reliance.

But ultimately the best solutions are those that rely on your local data...and for that something needs the data locally on your network....which requires some device having that data to then send it to your website.

There are many options....but it starts with you current hardware. Thus knowing what you currently have is the first order of business. We don't even know what logger you have. If it is a simple USB logger than that has no smarts to send data anywhere. But if it is a WiFiLogger, or a Meteobridge NANO then those have built in options to send data to other places.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:04:04 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
You do not need anything else when you have a WiFiLogger, check here https://pwsdashboard.com/

WifiLogger is able to upload the standard realtime.txt file as used by most weather-programs.
Or Wifilogger can upload to wu.

The PWS_Dashboard can use the data from WU or the data from realtime.txt.

Examples: A PWS_Dashboard site using the wifilogger directly: https://dupreezwx.com/index.php
One using WU https://pwsdashboard.net/pws10/index.php

I think this is 100% what you want:
Let WifiLogger do all the work without another device or weather-program.
Let the template do the display of your weather-data on your phone, tablet or computer.
All you need is website-space at a webhosting company.

The discussions about the PWS_Dashboard are at: https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/board,77.0.html

Wim
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:05:37 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »
I have a RaspberryPI, but I gave up on trying to get it to work. I could not find instructions that were clear-cut on the coding/programming and I gave up once the WiFi Logger came out (I was a beta tester).

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 01:06:20 PM »
I have a RaspberryPI, but I gave up on trying to get it to work. I could not find instructions that were clear-cut on the coding/programming and I gave up once the WiFi Logger came out (I was a beta tester).

WiFilogger is all you need.

See my previous post.

Wim

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »
I see it now. Thank you!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »

Which Pi model do you have?
What software were you trying to run on the Pi?
What logger were you using with the Pi?

Things have dramatically changed in the last couple years in regards to the Pi. If you were to attempt it again today, I think you would be successful. But alas, as Wim and I said before, with the WiFiLogger you do have enough to get a website going.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:18:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »

Things have dramatically changed in the last couple years in regards to the Pi. If you were to attempt it again today, I think you would be successful. But alas, as Wim and I said before, with the WiFiLogger you do have enough to get a website going.

I have a PI 3 Model B. I believe I was trying to run Cumulus. I was using the Belfryboy logger.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 01:53:40 PM »

Hi John,
I was a betta tester
I recognize you now... nearly 3 years gone by...

As Wim said, all you need is the WiFiLogger and then the template of your choice such as the one Wim noted or Ken's https://cumuluswiki.org/a/HomeWeatherStationTemplate which I had linked (uses WiFiLogger realtime.txt and no connection or requirement with Cumulus.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:10:58 PM »

I have a PI 3 Model B. I believe I was trying to run Cumulus. I was using the Belfryboy logger.

Well if you want to try it again in running Cumulus MX on the Pi, I've written a new documentation to with the aim at simplifying the steps. I pulled information that either exists in many places and that is just too convoluted. Just follow 10 simple steps:
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18766

Granted my instructions were aimed at network logger and not USB. With the USB type logger you'll need to contend with USB drivers and not having one of those loggers I'm not able to test but in reading some other posts it seems all you have to do in Cumulus MX is to set it it use serial port /dev/ttyUSB0 as the USB logger is really a serial type device with a USB adapter bus, and no need to mess with drivers. Others have it running...and I'm sure more help is available at the Cumulus forum. I'm not sure what step you got stuck on. But again....if your console is now tied up with a WiFiLogger then perhaps you no longer have the flexibility to try this....unless you have more than one console/envoy.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:13:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I obviously have a few options to look into. With any secondary location, I would rather just use as few resources as possible, which ideally would mean not using a PC. Something with little energy consumption. The WiFi Logger and Raspberry PI are the obvious choices.

Offline ChrisB

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 06:31:17 AM »
I am interested in building a custom weather web page. It has been years since I have used HTML, but I know there are sites that offer templates that I could copy and edit to fit my wants/needs. I would like some sort of real-time format, essentially like rapid fire Weather Underground-like updates. Does someone have a guide or instructions on how I would use the "Export Data" section of the logger? I feel like I am back to square one on this area of expertise. Also, does anyone have any pages I could peruse for ideas or sites that offer templates that you like? Thanks, in advance.

I wanted the exact same setup as you (having previously had a PC running 24/7 with Cumulus and wanted it gone) and so came up with this in the end - http://www.kennfordweather.com. So the wifilogger uploads to Weatherlink automatically and then I use the official Davis export method to display their 'banner' on my front page and then use their detailed one on my 'Full Data' page. Works for me as I'm a simple man with simple needs  :-P
http://www.kennfordweather.com - Devon, U.K

Davis Vantage Vue | Davis AirLink | WiFi Logger

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »
@ChrisB, nicely done!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ChrisB

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Thanks Paul! Likewise your website is very impressive, I’ve looked around it in the past. I was going to add you on BloomSky but your camera seems to not be updating?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
Hi Chris,
My one Bloomsky is still chugging along now for about 5 years BloomSky | Komoka, CA - Realtime weather and picture with daily timelapse!
I had a second Bloomsky that I had given to our daughter's family in another city a few years ago and they registered it with Bloomsky but eventually abandoned it.  I have this one back but haven't taken enough time to see how I can get the API to show at my current place.  Should see to get it another home.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ChrisB

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 01:56:17 PM »
Aha! I’ve followed your cam now. I always did like snowy landscapes  8-)

anything