Author Topic: USB LOGGER WIN10 Install Walk-through Pls, because I'm utterly inept at Computer  (Read 333 times)

Offline snakey1989

Hey guys n gals.
First post here, been searching for weeks though.
I have a 6163AU (Australia) and a 6510USB logger.
Have downloaded weatherlink.
Shows up as USBXpress and is visible in device manager.
I have NO idea how to make it connect. Weatherlink walk through says no communication from USB.
I'm well out of my depth, please help!!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
This is seriously intended to be helpful, and greatly reduce your frustration. 
Could you find somebody to help you?  Perhaps a High School student who is computer-savvy?

Folks here will try to help, and eventually get you going - but .........

Offline snakey1989

Well, I'm not totally computer illiterate.
But some people are talking about setting up virtual com ports to make the USBXpress compatible with Windows 10.

And THAT sort of stuff is not something I've tinkered with.
I did physically assemble and get this computer up and running software wise. But only by google and guesswork.
I just don't know how to get WL to recognise the unit.
I can see it in devices, but can't get it to sync up.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Sounds like either a driver issue or WeatherLink needs to be configured to use to correct com port (likely the latter). If I were to sit down in front of your computer to diagnose your problem, those are the first two things I'd check.

Honestly though, I haven't connected a 6510 to a computer in years. My only use for those adapters these days are for use with WeeWX or MeteoBridge.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Possible a Green Dot issue?!

With the USB logger you can set it up with Weatherlink in either USB mode or serial mode.  If you intend to use the station/console with a third-party program, i.e. like CumulusMX, you MUST set it up as serial.  Having it setup as serial will still work perfect with Weatherlink, so it is highly recommended to set it up as serial.  To do that you will need the https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers installed on your PC. 

In WL Setup > Communications select Serial determine and enter the Com Port, Baud rate 19200, and test.  You should be able to find the Com Port number on your PC or use the Auto Detect in Communications settings.

If Weatherlink has already been setup as USB you need to run a utility so that you can set it up as serial.  When I got my VP2 and USB logger in 2008 I also had some communication issue and Davis support helped me to change and set it up as serial, and has ben working well ever since.  If I recall correctly there has been several discussions here in the forum on this, so a search may help.  Here is one https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=502.msg32332;topicseen#msg32332

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Possible a Green Dot issue?!

I had forgotten all about that!