Author Topic: Weather Data Interpretation  (Read 458 times)

Offline KLAPINEV1

• Local Weather Conditions near Rigolette Bayou near Pineville, Louisiana
Weather Data Interpretation
« on: October 24, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 with Weatherlink software.  This station records solar radiation and UV.  I have read the basic definitions of these variables, but I need a few more details.  In the browse view there are two related variables, solar radiation and solar energy.  What are the units of these measurements.  Also, while they are clearly related, they are not proportional.  What is their relationship?  I believe that one of these is something like Watts per meter squared, but how is it related to time?  Is it the total over the logging interval or some average per minute?  If I wanted to know the solar energy for something like a month, do I add these values or do I multiply them by the time interval first?

Thank you for your help.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weather Data Interpretation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:12:53 AM »
See the Data Calculation section inside Weatherlink for Windows Help.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline KLAPINEV1

• Local Weather Conditions near Rigolette Bayou near Pineville, Louisiana
Re: Weather Data Interpretation
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:46:31 PM »
Aha!  I thought to read the paper manual, but not the help file.  That is very helpful.  I have just one comment on the help file.  The definition of solar energy says that it is accumulated solar radiation energy over a period of time.  It is easy to see that this time unit is 1 hour in the browse file, but this is not stated.

Thank you.
Dan