Author Topic: Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 Sensor accuracy  (Read 1805 times)

Offline AOgden

Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 Sensor accuracy
« on: September 22, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »
It would be valuable if others have performed comparison of the Ecowitt sensor with industry standard PM2.5 instruments and how the results compare? The Ecowitt WH41B consistently over reports (not sure what the "B" designation is in the report, link below).

Summary report from California AQMB field data 5-14-19:

"The three sensors showed low intra-model variability (~ 11%)
• The reference instruments (GRIMM, BAM and T640) showed good correlations with each other for PM2.5 (R2 ~ 0.72) mass concentration measurements (1-hr mean)

• PM2.5 mass concentration measurements measured by Ecowitt sensors showed poor to moderate correlations with the corresponding FEM GRIMM, FEM BAM and FEM T640 (R2 ~ 0.50, 0.29 and 0.47, respectively, 1-hr mean) and overestimated PM2.5 mass concentration measured by the FEM GRIMM, FEM BAM and FEM T640

• No sensor calibration was performed by South Coast AQMD Staff prior to the beginning of this test

Ref: http://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-source/aq-spec/field-evaluations/ecowitt-wh41b---field-evaluation.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Offline Shvedi

Re: Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 Sensor accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
Since I'm not expecting WH41 to be scientifically accurate, I take it's measurements only as a reference. For me the changes in time are more important than the numbers. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »
The Ecowitt PM2.5 has an excellent sensor from what I understand. The problem is water vapor or high humidity, being that there is no heater in the Ecowitt PM2.5, thereby causing it to over report because of water particles. There is probably more to it, but that has long been stated as the biggest factor. As Shvedi properly stated, the Ecowitt PM2.5 is adequate for making comparisons as changes occur. It is not lab quality equipment as the other models you referenced, but the price reflects that too. Are we comparing a Honda Civic to a Ferrari?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Glen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 04:35:50 AM »
I was trying to apply and offset to the wh41 but didn't seem to work and found this post.
Could they take into account the humidity to offset the over reading ? as it seems pretty close to purpleair sensors around me when they are above 15-20 ug/m3 , but if they are below that the wh41 seems to over read, or could just be the high humidity at the moment as well?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 05:50:23 AM »
That is an interesting suggestion. The problem with that suggestion though is that they sell a separate display for just the PM2.5. This display does not have humidity sensor for outdoor use. Hence there would be no way to compensate. You can't have that display showing something different than a console with more capabilities or it would cause much confusion. It is a great idea still for perhaps a version 2.0 that incorporates an integrated humidity sensor. Therefore I suggest contacting Ecowitt with your idea.
Tele-Pole

Offline Glen

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 01:12:15 AM »
Yes this is true for using the standalone display, but in my case i'm using the gw1000, so either they could correct it on the gw1000 as an option with the outdoor temp/humidly sensor.
I will email them with a link to this thread as well.
not sure if the purpleair sensors have a heater, or maybe the laser is always on ?

found this on one of their product review responses for the wh41

"The sensor is sensitive to liquid droplets - rain/fog/sprinkling. When the Dew Point is close to the outdoor temperature(T - D < = 2C), the PM2.5 reading will be very high(which is not the real condition).

That might be the reason of"overestimatedPM2.5 mass concentration measured by" other sensors.

Hope you can understand that it's hardly to avoid this issue for laser sensors.

Thank you."

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:18:58 PM »
Hi!

The Ecowitt PM2.5 has an excellent sensor from what I understand.
Does anyone know which sensor is used in the WH41?
I would like to participate in a sensor network https://luftdaten.info, but I would have to specify which sensor is used.

Regards, Oliver

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
Hi!

The Ecowitt PM2.5 has an excellent sensor from what I understand.
Does anyone know which sensor is used in the WH41?
I would like to participate in a sensor network https://luftdaten.info, but I would have to specify which sensor is used.

Regards, Oliver

Hi Oliver,

In the past we could only use our own build sensors on the Luftdaten network.

Do you have a link to some documentation about how we can add other sensors?

Thanks,

Wim

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 03:49:59 PM »
Hi Wim,

I'm just getting started.
I created an account there and filled out the sensor data as far as possible.

Since the GW1000 delivers the data to me anyway in Ecowitt format via "custom server", I parse the value for pm25_ch1 and push it using http post to the API endpoint https://api.sensor.community/v1/push-sensor-data/.
As status_code I get a 201 - probably not 200 because the PM10 value is missing. Perhaps this is normal.

On the sensor page https://devices.sensor.community/sensors/sensorID/data I can see that data is being submitted.
However, I cannot (yet?) see my station on the map.

This is my demo-code to test the functionality:
Code: [Select]
! /usr/bin/env python3
import requests

def forwardpm25ToLuftdaten(url, sensorID, wert):
  try:
    r = requests.post(url,
      json={
        "software_version": prgname + " " + prgver,
        "sensordatavalues": [{"value_type": "P2", "value": str(wert)}],
      },
      headers={
        "X-PIN":    "1",
        "X-Sensor": sensorID,
      }
    )
    ret = str(r.status_code)
    okstr = "<ERROR> " if r.status_code != 201 else ""
  except requests.exceptions.RequestException as err:
    ret = err.args[0].reason
    okstr = "<ERROR> "
    pass
  print(okstr + "FWD: " + url + " post: " + str(wert) + " : " + str(ret))
  return

prgname = "FOSHKplugin"
prgver = "v0.06"
DUSTI_URL = "https://api.sensor.community/v1/push-sensor-data/"
DUSTI_sensorID = "mySensorID"
wert = 9

forwardpm25ToLuftdaten(DUSTI_URL, DUSTI_sensorID, wert)

Sorry, I did not find a english version of this but this is the Google-translation of german entry:
"There is the possibility to send the data collected with other hardware to our API. Some ready-made scripts and interfaces already exist for this."

https://luftdaten.info/nl/faq-ln/#toggle-id-14
https://luftdaten.info/faq/#toggle-id-18

Regards, Oliver

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »
The Ecowitt air quality sensor used is a Honeywell HPM series PM2.5 sensor.
Tele-Pole

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 03:47:31 AM »
Hi!

is a Honeywell HPM series PM2.5 sensor
Thanks for info. In the PDF it was stated as a HPMA115S0-xxx.

I have just received the information from luftdaten.info that the described way is correct.
However, the station only appears on the map if the PM10 value is also sent in addition to the PM2.5 value, which we cannot currently do with the WH41.

Regards, Oliver

Offline john21283

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »
Email sent to ecowitt

Lucy

Please forward my information and suggestions below to your engineering group

Regards

John

In the reviews tab for the WH41 on Ecowitt.com there is a link to a comparison between the Ecowitt WH41 and three expensive (US$ 20,000 +) air quality gauges at the Rubidoux air quality monitoring station in California. Ecowitt replied to this comparison:
The sensor is sensitive to liquid droplets - rain/fog/sprinkling. When the Dew Point is close to the outdoor temperature (T - D < = 2C), the PM2.5 reading will be very high (which is not the real condition).

That might be the reason of "overestimatedPM2.5 mass concentration measured by" other sensors.

I looked at data from a weather station near the air quality monitoring station on Wunderground (Rubidoux KCARIVER89 Elev 259 m, 33.99 °N, 117.43 °W). These data show that for up to 8 hours a day for many days during the three month test period, PM2.5 will have been over estimated because the air temperature was within 2C of the dew point. The data for these periods should have been excluded from the comparison.

I suggest that Ecowitt contact the authors of the comparison to obtain the raw data, exclude the data for the periods when the air temperature was within 2C of the dew point, and then post the results on Ecowitt.com.

The correlations between the WH41 and the FEM Grimm reference instrument (linear regressions) had R-squared coefficients of 0.39 (5 minute mean), 0.50 (1 hour mean) and 0.70 (24 hour mean). The longer periods damp out the effects of the erroneous data due to high dew points.  Excluding the data for periods when the air temperature was within 2C of the dew point would have a better correlation (higher R squared).

For comparison the linear regressions for one hour mean values between the reference instruments gave R-squared values 0.64 to 0.82. I expect that after the erroneous data have been excluded from the analyses, R squared for the WH41 to FEM Grimm comparison will be close to, if not within the range of, the R-squared values for the comparisons between the reference gauges. I.e. the WH41 data is as good as the reference gauge data if the data for periods when the air temperature was within 2C of the dew point are excluded.

The linear regressions all have the form y = mx + c. For example, the relationship between the 24 hour means recorded by the FEM Grimm and WH41 unit 5378 was:

FEM Grimm PM2.5 = 0.4244*(WH41 PM2.5) – 0.8208.

An offset of +0.8208 and a gain of 0.4244 would calibrate the WH41 to the FEM Grimm so that the 24 hour means matched. On my GW1000 with 1.6.3 firmware, the only calibration option for the PM2.5 measurement is an offset. It would be useful to have a gain setting as well for users that have access to data from nearby air quality monitoring stations or other reliable sources of calibration data.

I suggest that Ecowitt consider modifying the software (or firmware) in their consoles so that only PM2.5 data for periods when the air temperature is greater than 2C above the dew point is used.

Offline Autofill

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 12:52:28 PM »
I find my Ecowitt sensor to be very good for me. I'm ok with Good, moderate, bad air quality, which is about as much as I want to know. Dew is a bit of an issue for my sensor, in the morning (not all mornings) for an hour or two, the air quality is "bad" but, I know that not the case.

Another way to look at this study is why are the other sensors so much more expensive and only to get 11% better accuracy for another $20,000  :grin:

once my neighbor has a bon fire and it shot up to very bad air quality.

At this price, I find this unit to be exceptionally good.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:59:52 PM by Autofill »
Ecowitt WH2320-E
Ecowitt HP2551-C (SOLD - replaced with Home Assistant Fully Kiosk FireTab HD10)
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt GW1100
Ecowitt WH69E
Ecowitt WH32B
Ecowitt WH57 (x3)
Ecowitt WH51 (x6)
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH41 (Honeywell-based USB/Supercap modified)
Ecowitt WH31 (x8)
Ecowitt WH55 (x4)
Ecowitt WH45
Ecowitt WN34S (x2)
Ecowitt WN35
Ecowitt Wittboy running on 12VDC  solar power

Offline Calochortus

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 01:30:19 PM »
In recent smog,
WH41 130-150 ug/m3 => AQI 190-199
PurpleAir 80-100 ug/m3 => AQI ~170 (average of 5 sensors within 1 mile)
County AQI ~180

This morning,
WH41 38 ug/m3 => AQI 107
PurpleAir 37 ug/m3=> AQI 105 (average of 5 sensors within 1 mile)
County AQI ~95

Another local WH41 read ~370-390 ug/m3 during our peak smog.  PurpleAir in that period reported ~250 ug.
WH41 AQI was ~400 and the County AQI ~240.

It looks like the WH41 may read high at high levels, but not so much so as to make the readings particularly suspect until you're in extreme quality.