Author Topic: wifilogger vs Davis Weatherlink Live  (Read 1450 times)

Offline rhodesengr

wifilogger vs Davis Weatherlink Live
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:17:19 PM »
How would one compare and contrast these two?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline rhodesengr

Re: wifilogger vs Davis Weatherlink Live
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:02:28 PM »
Nice diagrams but even in that thread their are no opinions.

Use Weatherlink live if .....
Use Wifilogger if ......
etc.

Maybe there is a review of Weatherlink live somewhere  that includes opinions?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »
Rather quite different devices and opinions are going to be generally one sided

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »
well we have an RC Flying club with an older weather station now. I like the Vantage Vue Weather station. We just need to get the data to Weather Underground. Seems they are about the same cost and from what I have read they both  can upload to Wunderground. So why pick one over the other? I could use some actual advice.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:54:28 AM »
Maybe there is a review of Weatherlink live somewhere  that includes opinions?

WFL and WLL are both good products so a choice has to come down to individual use cases, ie exactly what do you want the unit to do (and even then there will be differences of opinion I'm sure - decisions are rarely clearcut). You need a bullet list of features that you require and then see how well the two products compare. Sometimes there will be a clear feature that only one device can deliver. eg do you need:

* WU Rapidfire, in which case only WFL can do this (WLL will give only 15min updates at WU via wl.com, though wl.com direct will give 1min updates - not quite sure what the appeal of WU is other than Rapidfire when wl.com will otherwise do much the same on browser or phone app));
* Uploads to platforms other than WU or CWOP  ==> only WFL can do this;
* Data from more VP2 wireless transmitters than a standard console can receive (or high-precision supplementary temp readings), in which case Weatherlink Live will be the choice;
* Is price really important - if so then WFL is cheaper;

Etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:15:08 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »
OK that was great. Very helpful. I have Weatherlink.com set up for another site but that site is much more remote so we have to use Vantage connect. That certainly gets the data to both and I think we get 5 minute updates to WU. However, that setup has an annual subscription which included the WLL account upgrade (pro I thin). I think if we got WLL, we also need to pay for an account upgrade, which is not a big deal but WU is free. This club has tons of money so a few bucks either way is not a big deal. They are used to WU. Its not that they couldn't be told "now we are using WL but WU has been fine. I doubt they even know about other data hosts like CWOP.

Our requirements are simple. One station sending data to WU with an internet connection. Based on what you said, sounds like Logger is still the best bet.

Thanks for the very useful input.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »
OK, but do remember:

With Connect you must have a subscription because that rolls up the cellular connectivity together with use of wl.com and the station is Pro by default

With WLL (or WFL or any other option that uses the regular broadband/Internet to upload) then accessing current data at wl.com is free. It's only if you want historic data stored that the subscription is needed - of course you may still decide that's beneficial but the choice is yours.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.