Author Topic: Wifi logger setup on work network (eduroam)  (Read 706 times)

Offline jdb235

Wifi logger setup on work network (eduroam)
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:00:18 AM »
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere. I'd like to connect the wifi logger to a work wifi network (it's a common university network, eduroam). The network does appear on the list of networks on the setup page, however it doesn't have a password like a normal home wifi network - instead you login using an email address and the password associated with that from a landing page. Will it be possible to set up the logger to work on this network?

Thanks.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Wifi logger setup on work network (eduroam)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:32:39 AM »
That is called a captive portal. One way is to spoof the MAC address of the WiFiLogger with a phone or other computer. Then you gain access using the other device that has the WiFiLogger's MAC address. Then you change the MAC address back to normal on that device and quickly power up the WiFiLogger. The WiFiLogger will then work because the other device did the authentication.

The trouble is though that most captive portals expire after a certain amount of time. You wouldn't want to have to keep doing this hack.

A better solution is to contact the IT department and get a proper exception for the weather station.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline jdb235

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the very quick reply! I'm not sure if this captive portal does expire (at least, I haven't had to re-login at all since I set it up on my phone/laptop a few years ago) so that method might work? Would you be able to expand a bit on the process involved so I can give it a try? Given my experience with the IT department in the past I'd prefer to avoid contacting them if I can (but I realise that I might need to ultimately)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
Just search on how to change the MAC address on your device, phone or laptop. Easier on a laptop. It's going to be different on what type of computer you are using. Set the computer to use the MAC address of the WiFiLogger. Then authenticate with the captive portal. Then reset the MAC address on the computer back to normal. Then power up the WiFiLogger.
Tele-Pole

Offline jdb235

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 07:30:28 AM »
I've given it a try but can't get it to work. Just to check I'm doing the right thing, I'm changing the wlan MAC address on my laptop to be that of the wifilogger (which I assume is the one under the "network info" tab on the logger setup page). I then connect to the wifi on the laptop, and once connected change the laptop MAC address back to what it was, then turn on the Davis display which the logger is plugged into. After doing that and heading back to the wifilogger setup page it still says "No SSID available" for the connection state. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »
I can't help with the mechanics of getting the WiFiLogger connected as I've never used one. I've given you a suggestion on how to spoof the WiFiLogger MAC address on your laptop. Once the laptop is online and past the captive portal using the WiFiLogger MAC you can disconnect the laptop from the WiFi and change its MAC address back to normal. Then it just becomes a matter of getting the WiFiLogger connected as normal as the captive portal should no longer be a problem. That said it is possible that there are other limitations on an enterprise WiFi network. For example they may be limiting device to device communications, meaning that they give you a WiFi signal only for direct Internet use only. This will limit the ability to have one device configure another as all WiFi devices will be isolated from each other.
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere. I'd like to connect the wifi logger to a work wifi network (it's a common university network, eduroam). The network does appear on the list of networks on the setup page, however it doesn't have a password like a normal home wifi network - instead you login using an email address and the password associated with that from a landing page. Will it be possible to set up the logger to work on this network?

Thanks.

This network which you have it is called: WPA / WPA2 Enterprise
It is working with network controller, which can be even a special server.

It was written, that name WPA Enterprise contains 40 different technologies.
Good news is that, there are some common in use.

In this article we can read, that ESP32 can support:
- PEAP + MsCHAPv2
- EAP-TTLS + MsCHAPv2

So WiFiLogger2 can have addon in firmware for these kinds of networks, but it will depend on configuration on university if this will start to work, or not.

anything