Author Topic: Davis Vue and rain reporting? Calibrating?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline #41

Davis Vue and rain reporting? Calibrating?
« on: October 08, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »
I have a Vantage Vue and I'm thinking the rain isn't very accurate.  Since midnight it's showing 0.61 total.  My father lives about 2-3 miles away and has the same station.  His reported 1.09.  So , I checked Weather Underground and someone in the very next neighborhood shows 1.11 since midnight.  I guess it's possible I got less rain but I'm not sure. 

That got me into looking at the manual.  I do see a method of calibrating rain on page 28 which has to do with percentages.  It does mention that it can only go from -25% to +25%.  Just not sure if I should try and adjust. 

Is there not a way of pouring a pre-measured amount of water into the unit to verify? 

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: Davis Vue and rain reporting? Calibrating?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 03:56:09 PM »
I'm going thru the same exercise with my Vue. I replaced the electronics on my ISS in June so the tipping spoon is not calibrated to the new sensor. The only way to get an accurate comparison is to have a standardized gauge sitting alongside your ISS. I use the CoCoRaHS gauge (http://www.ambientweather.com/strgloteprra.html). You can also use the CoCoRaHS to measure the same amount into the collector of your ISS. Using a station that is across town or even a 100 yards away is not accurate enough.

Yes, you can make adjustments using the Vue console but you'll still need an accurate standard.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
  I guess it's possible I got less rain but I'm not sure. 

It's certainly possible, depending on lots of factors.

Have you checked your Vue to make sure that it's clean (inside and out), and nothing is interfering with the movement of the rain spoon?

How/where is your Vue mounted?  [Consider uploading a photo]

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
Hi folks,
I posted an update regarding my Vue ISS rain tipping spoon calibration here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30483.msg302582#msg302582

To summarize my ISS was reporting 23% low.  When replacing the ISS electronics you may need to re-calibrate the tipping spoon.

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
IMHO the electronics harness inside a Vue ISS does not touch or electrically connect to or interfere in any other significant way with the mechanical tipping mechanism. So changing the electronics should not interfere with a well calibrated ISS rain tipping mechanism. But, of course I may be wrong  ;)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »
The electronics are doing nothing more than counting the tips by a non contact means so any slight miss-alignment of the board and/or spoon assembly should not affect the counter. The number of counts is directly based on the spoon physically tipping past the contacts relative to the calibrated volume/quantity of water.     

anything