Author Topic: Suggestions please for internet uploading weather station  (Read 618 times)

Offline rhodesengr

Suggestions please for internet uploading weather station
« on: February 09, 2020, 02:26:14 PM »
I while back, I was looking for a weather station that would upload to Weather Underground at the very least. This is for an RC flying club and we really only care about wind and temperature but mostly just wind.

This was about a year ago and we didn't move forward with the project at that time. After posting and reading, My plan then was to get a Davis Vantage Vue and a WIFI Logger module.

Seems that option is still available but I thought I would ask again and see if maybe there isn't a console/senor package with the wifi functionality already integrated.

We really just need upload to Weather Underground but am open to other upload targets.

Offline rhodesengr

Re: Suggestions please for internet uploading weather station
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
so looked into a bit again and maybe I can refine my question.....

What is the best option to get Vantage Vue data to WU?

WifiLogger 2, Davis 6100?

I have been happy with Vantage Vue stations at other clubs but could use advice on the best current product that would work with a Vantage Vue to get data to WU.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
Both will upload to WU, with the Davis Live upload interval is 1-min and WiFiLogger can be at near realtime.
With WiFiLogger there would be no additional external device as it goes in to the Vue (or VP2) console.
WiFiLogger can upload to several other sites, possibly more than the stand-alone Davis Live.
WiFiLogger is limited to one ISS while the Davis Live can have more than one ISS and sensors.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
For better wind accuracy you would want to have the anemometer at 33 ft if possible. But the all in one design of the Vue is not ideal at this height. The all in one design is a compromise in optimal sensor placement and is therefore best at an elevation of around 15 feet give or take depending on what you are willing to sacrifice. For this reason I don't think the Vue is the best solution for anyone truly interested in wind speeds.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
I appreciate you reply but I was mostly asking about stations that have upload internet built in or can be added to like Vue.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
Stations with separate anemometer that will upload to the Internet.

- Acurite Atlas (with anemometer extention) and Access device
- Ecowitt various configurations possible not limited to; HP2553, GW1002, and GW1003, and HP2551-C with WS68 otherwise called HP2552...etc as other Fine Offset clones are also possible like Ambient WS-5000.
- Davis Vantage Pro 2 with various logger options; Meteobridge Pro, Meteobridge NANO, WLL, or WiFiLogger
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:00:49 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole