Author Topic: Ambient tool connection issues with WS-2902  (Read 5497 times)

Offline its_a_twista

Ambient tool connection issues with WS-2902
« on: January 13, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
Hello all,

Had a 2902 for 3 years now.  Worked great until last week.  Power went off in house.  Router shut down and WS lost connectivity to WU.  So I fire up Ambient Tool on my iPhone and do what I've done a bunch.  But when I get to the screen that says Router SSID, it only shows "Wifi".  Whereas in the past it has given the name of my router.  Tried my wife's iPhone.  Same thing.  Do some searching and have found out many people having the same problems.  But for those who have an android phone, they can connect with Osprey Tool, no problem. 

I don't have an Android.

Anybody know of a workaround with an iPhone so I don't have to use Ambient Tool?

P.S.  I have not upgraded the firmware in the 2902.

Thank!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambient tool connection issues with WS-2902
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline its_a_twista

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 05:33:30 PM »
I've tried the first two links.  I really hate reset the console if I don't have to.  I'm not sure how the console would make Ambient Tool SSID show as "wifi" instead of my router name. 

Offline dah2001

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:24:38 AM »
I had the same problem.  The app isn't great and doesn't notify you that you need to allow locations services.  I have an iPhone, went to Settings->Privacy->Location Services->Ambient Tool and selected "While Using App".  I changed that and then my Wifi router showed up.

Offline furzgesicht

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:36:46 PM »
I don't have the option to share location for the Ambient app

Offline wwilson247

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »
I don't have the option to share location for the Ambient app

Guys, I have this same exact issue and I'm about to go NUTS lol.
I've been working on this for 3 hours and happened to come across this post.

In Summary, got a new EERO Mesh Network for our home. Obviously, when I disconnected
our old router and enabled EERO, the console lost its connection.

Our new router (EERO) does have a password, but when I go into the AmbientTool app, then hit "Add Device",
I'm noticing a problem across ALL of my devices I attempted this with (ipads, iphones, and more); The router SSID says "Wi-Fi" which is NOT correct.
However, the app wont allow me to edit this. I've tripled checked the password I'm entering and know its correct. I've restarted each mobile device, deleted
the app, and more.

Additionally, I had read about disabling all my additional EERO points except the main station...tried that as well and no luck. I feel like the SSID Name
is the main issue here as everything else in my house is working fine. Any suggestions/help!?

Offline its_a_twista

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »
Yep.  Exactly my problem.  Network shows up only as "Wifi".  I agree it has to be the problem, but no idea how to fix.  Hope someone here does.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
Tele-Pole

Offline kevint1

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
We had a lot of high winds yesterday and our power flickered several times in the afternoon.  The power issues affected our internet router and I needed to reset it. After the reset my WS-2902A lost its router connection.

The Wi-Fi and the M-B Icons were flashing on the console. I started up the awnet app on my iPhone and it didn’t see the WiFi network the phone was connected to. It showed WiFi instead. I followed dah2001’s advice above and turned on location services in the phone settings. The awnet app is not listed under the location settings, but as soon as I restarted the app it asked to access my location. When I allowed this it found the correct WiFi network and I was able to complete the setup.

I also turned off cellular data temporarily in the cellular settings.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:36:18 PM by kevint1 »
WS-2902A | @ WU: KMILOWEL26 | @ PWSweather: KMILOWEL26

Offline Y42351

• My weather station
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »
I had to reinstall the Osprey tool for it to work. Good luck!
Ambient Weather WS-2902

Offline its_a_twista

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »

What is the Osprey tool?  I've been using the Ambient Tool.  I can't use Awnet since my model is 2902. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »

What is the Osprey tool?  I've been using the Ambient Tool.  I can't use Awnet since my model is 2902. 
Osprey tool, or Ambient Tool...they are the same thing. The full name of the app is Ambient Weather Osprey Tool.

Ambient apps:
Ambient Weather Osprey Tool - the original app for the WS-2902. Does not work for the WS-2902A (nor the new WS-2902B)
awnet - the new app for the WS-2902A, WS-2902B, WS-2000, and WS-5000 (and yes the name of the app is in all lowercase)
Ambient Weather - not an app to manage the station hardware - it is just an app to access Ambientweather.net

Fine Offset / Ecowitt apps:
WS View - for all Fine Offset clones (also works for Ambient current models)
WS Tool - old app for old WH2900, has not been maintained in almost 2 years - don't use unless you have very old station hardware

* When people say they have a WS-2902 that is ambiguous. Because we don't know if they really have an original WS-2902 or if they really have a WS-2902A (or the new WS-2902B).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:40:56 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline its_a_twista

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »
Ok.  I've reinstalled the Osprey tool and no luck.  I have a new ipad and with the Osprey tool on it, my network shows up.  But when I type in the password and hit save, I get a fail message.  It won't connect to my network.  I'm running 2.4 GHz, so that's not the problem.

Offline MechYankee

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »
SUCCESS

I did find a way to reconnect my WS-2902 using the iOS Ambient tool on a modern Arris NVG448BQ.  The trick was to find an old iPhone, running iOS 12 (or older) and follow the usual steps.  If you have any old phone or device, charge it up and turn it on without the network SIM or in airplane mode and then connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi. The problem appears to be with iOS 13. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »
Did you try the same trick of removing the SIM card on iOS 13? The problem on a modern mobile device is that many (Android and iOS) will not allow a WiFi connection to be kept to a WiFi that has no Internet service. Two good ways around this is to either remove the SIM card to force WiFi to stay connected even if it has no Internet, or to go into mobile settings and disable the opportunistic switch back to cellular data when WiFi is providing no Internet connectivity. See part of the setup process is for the mobile device to connect to the console's own temporary WiFi network just for it to then receive credentials for your WiFi network and then it switches from being a WiFi source (with no Internet) to a WiFi client. This is why another technique to use is any iPad or Android Tablet as they typically are WiFi only devices and don't have cellular data. You are basically solving the same issue, just a different way.

Mobile phones are now just doing this to ensure that you are always connected to the Internet. The phone is basically choosing to switch to cellular data when the available WiFi has no Internet connectivity. This is important because often some WiFi networks can provide a WiFi signal but their actual service to the Internet is down. This is the situation where you would want your phone to revert to cellular data and ignore the available WiFi network. This feature though makes it impossible to configure some of these IoT devices unless you know how to work around them.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:52:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline MechYankee

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »
I had tried using the Ambient Tool app on my WiFi only iPad with iOS 13.5.1 with no success.  It was the same SSID of "Wi-Fi" as above.  My iPad has no cellular features.  I had even tried the iPhone 8 (13.5.1) with cellular turned off.  Didn't work. 

I think the problem is iOS 13. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Interesting. Well iOS 13 is very new and the Ambient Tool app is abandonware unfortunately. On Android (and probably on iOS also) it hasn't been updated since Oct 2019 and also unfortunately nobody with an original WS-2902 gets any firmware updates.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:49:18 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline SWX

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
I can only see my SSID in Ambient Tool on an old Android phone, but it times out while trying to set up the internet connection. iOS 13 devices just displaying “WiFi”, I thought it was just me. I have a 2902A, purchased as a 2902 and upgraded, I’ve tried just about everything to get the internet connection to work again to no avail.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline marscience

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 08:17:00 AM »
I found a way to get the Ambient Tool to connect my WS-2902 (no a,b,c,d.......) using an modern android phone android 8.1.0. I had been connected continuously for over 2 years, but had a new router installed, weather station no longer connected. I tried probably 10 times, would just close down. When I first tried using the tool, it said something like "unkown ssid". I turned off "mobile data", "roaming" and "enhanced 4g lte mode". I then went to reinstall ambient tool, device said no wifi connection, but my other devices (a chromebook, an ipad, and a windows machine) were fine connecting to web pages. WTF? So, I looked at wifi setting on android phone, and sure enough it said i was not connected to wifi. So, i found my router, put my password in, wa-la connected. REinstalled ambient tool, went through process, it now had the correct ssid instead of unknown, i put in the password, and wa-la, my weather station was connected again!! I had tried an ipad, a chromebook, nothing worked. Spent three hours until I stumbled upon how to do it. Please pass around!!!

Offline zackattack784

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
I know it’s a long shot but anybody figure out how to get this working with iOS?

anything