Author Topic: New Raspberry PI / Davis Vantage Pro 2 setup  (Read 3419 times)

Offline robfromnj

New Raspberry PI / Davis Vantage Pro 2 setup
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:11 PM »
Hello,

I currently have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 that is logging data using an IP logger to Weatherlink and I have my weatherunderground account connected to weatherlink.

I am interested in setting up a Raspberry Pi 3 with Meteohub. From what I understand I can buy the meteohub software license, download the raspberry pi image, take the USB data logger from the Vantage Pro 2 console and connect it to a USB port on the raspberry pi and everything should work after I go through the web based configuration. Am I understanding this correctly?

What are the most common sites that people integrate Meteohub with other than Weather Underground?

Are there any other suggestions? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Rob

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New Raspberry PI / Davis Vantage Pro 2 setup
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »
Why get the Pi with Meteohub when you can be better served with just a Meteobridge or Meteobridge Nano. You can then take your data anywhere. WU, CWOP, AWEKAS, PWSweather, WeatherCloud, Metoffice WOW, Windguru, and more. Plus you can send your data to SQL database. And you can host a website with whatever template you want. And there is more like Webcam Webcam support. You can expand with Ambientweather.net and then add Alexa or Google Assistant skills.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:29:43 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »
Hello,

I currently have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 that is logging data using an IP logger to Weatherlink and I have my weatherunderground account connected to weatherlink.

I am interested in setting up a Raspberry Pi 3 with Meteohub. From what I understand I can buy the meteohub software license, download the raspberry pi image, take the USB data logger from the Vantage Pro 2 console and connect it to a USB port on the raspberry pi and everything should work after I go through the web based configuration. Am I understanding this correctly?

What are the most common sites that people integrate Meteohub with other than Weather Underground?

Are there any other suggestions? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Rob

Detailed info is here: http://wiki.meteohub.de/Introduction

I have both meteobridge (PRO Red) and two meteohubs. They both have their advantages, but I like the charting capabilities in the meteohub. Meteohub generates the bulk of my charts for my website.

To answer your question, meteohub supports the "usual suspects". See page 58 of the manual. There is also a facility to upload custom charts via FTP.

Meteohub is getting "long in the tooth" so to speak. The manual dates back to 2010. The charting capabilities in meteobridge are getting to be more comprehensive, but there are custom plots using virtual sensors in meteohub that I use. I don't see the same capability in meteobridge, at least as far as I know.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline robfromnj

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:32:50 PM »
Thank you very much.  Both responses really helped me better understand what I'm looking at.  I think for me the meteobridge Nano will most likely be the way to go!

anything