Author Topic: The Reliability of the SHT-31 Humidity Sensor & What Psychrometer Should I Buy?  (Read 117592 times)

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
Glad you posted that if good stuff I need something. I ordered some of those filters also primarily for the metoshield I have coming in couple weeks. Less restriction inside temperature chamber the better I would think.

No long term results yet, unfortunately. But FYI. I cut the 4 prongs off and shaved the remaining nubs off flush with a razor, then scuffed the surface lightly on some 220 grit paper and blew off with canned air. Also, the rubbery (silicon ??) layer surrounding the sensor chip needed to be scuffed too. I did this with the edge of a sharp knife. applied Rocksett with a tiny screwdriver putting a VERY small amount on all 4 sides and CAREFULLY placed it over the sensor. Let it set ~15 min and re-installed into the FARS. The filter/cover is so tiny and light I just don't think it requires a super strong adhesive to stay put.
But I'll keep a lookout for it on the intake screen  :lol:   

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
I found this also. http://ecobondit.com/ecobond-products/

http://ecobondit.com/what-we-stick-too/

and this https://www.amazon.com/Supertite-Universal-Industrial-Strength-0-63oz/dp/B077KGT3K7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1532993103&sr=8-8&keywords=Eco-Bond+Adhesives

Ecobondit curiously left out polyethylene, polypropylene plastics.... Hmmm

But Supertite looks like a winner  \:D/

Rocksett is by no means "made for" this application, but what I had on hand. Its actually for High temp aplicatons. but its the only thing I had that was non-toxic, oderless and non-volitile.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
MY THOUGHT - Use a piece of cotton string, because cotton doesn't out-gas, for a mechanical attachment.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:50:02 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
MY THOUGHT - Use a piece of cotton string, cause cotton don't out-gas, for a mechanical attachment.

After just installing this filter, the problem you would likely encounter is that you would have to wrap the string around the entire PCB board. The filter sits about an 1/8th inch high off the surface. The angle would be so shallow that I don't think it would apply enough mechanical pressure to hold it down...not to mention when it gets damp and elongates. This is me trying to tie that string while keeping the filter directly over the sensor  ](*,)

:lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
What about what we used as kids, flour and water? How much "gas" can that have??  :-k

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Or, secure a big paper clip....maybe one with a plastic coating on it...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
How about using one of your nylon panty hose, the one with a run it. :lol: ..Just wrap the whole sensor. I've heard they make a excellent fine dust filter.
Randy

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Something like a rubber band would be the shiz nit. But the the filter cap is still so tiny, even a thin rubber band would likely block the hole. There is almost no extra surface area for any kind of mechanical fasteners i can think of.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Something like a rubber band would be the shiz nit. But the the filter cap is still so tiny, even a thin rubber band would likely block the hole. There is almost no extra surface area for any kind of mechanical fasteners i can think of.

Can't use rubber. Not sure about nylon.

Maybe can't use nylon either.

Nylon is a plastic, made from petroleum. However, it is one of the least toxic plastics and outgasses little, if at all
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:31:21 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor

Really? No rubber... Why not?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
How about using one of your nylon panty hose, the one with a run it. :lol: ..Just wrap the whole sensor. I've heard they make a excellent fine dust filter.
Firstly...you swore you wouldn't tell.... Secondly, this might actually work if secured well enough. Hmmmm..

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Firstly...you swore you wouldn't tell.... Secondly, this might actually work if secured well enough. Hmmmm..

It might just some cotton twine should work.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

All rubber I've been around has a strong odor. The odor is the gaseous toxins being released. Unless it is the type of toxin that wouldn't be harmful.  Not sure :?:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:39:20 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor

All rubber I've been around has a strong odor. The odor is the gaseous toxins being released. Unless it isn't the type of toxin that wouldn't be harmful.  Not sure :?:

Ahh .. I got ya.

Well if its pantyhose, better make it Silk stockings instead of nylon...just in case its an issue too. besides, the silk is a lot  more durable and finer weave ..So Iv'e heard  :-)

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Regardless, I still think that Supertite Eco Glue is the best option. It is solvent free, non-toxic and water based. How much irreparable harm could it possibly do?

Like flour and water. :-)

WOW! Right after i posted this I saw this picture on the Amazon add.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

#-o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:54:39 PM by Bobvelle »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

All rubber I've been around has a strong odor. The odor is the gaseous toxins being released. Unless it isn't the type of toxin that wouldn't be harmful.  Not sure :?:

Ahh .. I got ya.

Well if its pantyhose, better make it Silk stockings instead of nylon...just in case its an issue too. besides, the silk is a lot  more durable and finer weave ..So Iv'e heard  :-)

Real silk is expensive. https://www.stockingirl.com/product/SGSS2.html

Back to the Supertite Eco Glue
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Ya know, I think I'll try a small diameter spring (like in your ball point pen, but longer) that's wraps around the sensor board. If necessary I'll cut the sensor board to accommodate it, but pretty sure I'll find an appropriate spring. At the very least I'll put notches at both ends of the board to keep the spring stationary.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor

Ahh .. I got ya.

Actually, you can go on eBay and by a pillow case from some Chinese sellers for a lot cheaper. Get a low momme weight.

Ohh and Thanks for the link.   \:D/

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Ya know, I think I'll try a small diameter spring (like in your ball point pen, but longer) that's wraps around the sensor board. If necessary I'll cut the sensor board to accommodate it, but pretty sure I'll find an appropriate spring. At the very least I'll put notches at both ends of the board to keep the spring stationary.
That's a pretty good Idea. Spring might want to roll, but if its fairly stiff it should work.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:11:21 PM by Bobvelle »

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor

Ahh .. I got ya.

Actually, you can go on eBay and by a pillow case from some Chinese sellers for a lot cheaper. Get a low momme weight.

Ohh and Thanks for the link.   \:D/

Iv'e actually bought from her a couple times. Very good quality and great to deal with. $19 19 momme  weight un-dyed 100% mulberry silk.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-19mm-Mulberry-Silk-Charmeuse-Pillowcase-UndyedWhite-QUEEN-single-or-a-pair/232833685515?var=532351166292&hash=item3635f8180b%3Am%3AmQuQ1z2bT1FpM_jxNsmQvRg&_sacat=0&_nkw=100%25+19mm+Mulberry+Silk+Charmeuse+Pillowcase+UndyedWhite+QUEEN+single+or+a+pair&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:29:36 PM by Bobvelle »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
That's a pretty good Idea. Spring might want to roll, but if its fairly stiff it should work.
That's what the notches are for, just make sure they're in line with the sensor.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:57:38 PM by CW2274 »

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
That's what the notches are for, just make sure there in line with the sensor.
actually,  I meant even with notches, if the spring was too 'flimsy' it may still want to roll off the cap. but maybe not. if you went the short distance across.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
I'm spring shopping tomorrow. With an adequate one, which shouldn't be hard to find, I think it'll work fine.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
I'm spring shopping tomorrow. With an adequate one, which shouldn't be hard to find, I think it'll work fine.

I agree.
If mine ends up falling off. I may go this route too.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
Just found a Cole-Parmer 22014 Psychrometer for $45 &
 free shipping on Amazon. Includes case and extra wicks, slide rule etc.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

:-| Not sure why. There was only one left in stock when I saw it. As soon as I ordered it, the new listing showed that "I purchased this today" and now the price is $182 + $10 Shipping.

Worse case I'll return it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:18:19 PM by Bobvelle »