Weather Software > My AcuRite smartHUB Software

Kevin's Software still working well. What happens in February?

(1/4) > >>

Jack Bowman:
I am still using Kevin's software and it behaves flawlessly. Acurite will discontinue support of the old hub in February. Kevin's software is dependent on the feed from that hub on it's way to the AcuraLink site. What happens when that connection goes away. Will the packets just continue to flow and be capturable? Do I have to spoof the AcuraLink server connection, and if so what information do I have to echo back to the hub to keep it working? Is a line in my Windows Host/ LMHOST file redirecting the host to a local IP on my home network enough to keep the packets flowing? Everything is working so well. I would like to keep using my current hardware.

gardengrub:

--- Quote from: ColoradoWeather on January 29, 2019, 11:49:20 AM ---I am still using Kevin's software and it behaves flawlessly. Acurite will discontinue support of the old hub in February. Kevin's software is dependent on the feed from that hub on it's way to the AcuraLink site. What happens when that connection goes away. Will the packets just continue to flow and be capturable? Do I have to spoof the AcuraLink server connection, and if so what information do I have to echo back to the hub to keep it working? Is a line in my Windows Host/ LMHOST file redirecting the host to a local IP on my home network enough to keep the packets flowing? Everything is working so well. I would like to keep using my current hardware.

--- End quote ---

I'm in the same boat here except that I use Meteobridge. I've been thinking about what to do before the smartHUB end-of-service date arrives.  I'd consider moving to another brand that is compatible with Meteobridge except that I've invested in seven Acurite sensors plus Meteobridge and it works perfectly and does exactly what I want.  I'd like to stick with my Acurite sensors if there was a suitable upgrade path (Access and Meteobridge) but know better than to wait for that to happen.

I'm starting to think that the best solution for me will be to figure out how to redirect the smartHub uploads on my local network and respond to the smartHUB so that it "stays happy."  I think other people have accomplished that but I don't have a good understanding of all that would be required to accomplish it. I'm with you, I'd really like to stick to my current hardware!

Bushman:
Same here and I think I am going to bundle up a build for an RPi to do this redirect.  It does not look that tough.

WonderWX:

--- Quote from: ColoradoWeather on January 29, 2019, 11:49:20 AM --- Will the packets just continue to flow and be capturable?

--- End quote ---
No -  If the Hub doesn't receive the response it needs from the server, it will try a few times, and then go into a standby mode where it will only try every few minutes to connect.

--- Quote from: ColoradoWeather on January 29, 2019, 11:49:20 AM ---Do I have to spoof the AcuraLink server connection, and if so what information do I have to echo back to the hub to keep it working?

--- End quote ---
Yes - you need to set something up to answer the smarthub and give it the time. See an example script in https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30915.0
The key line for the hub is {\"localtime\":\"$time\",\"checkversion\":\"224\"}"  but keep in mind that Kevin's reader is looking for a consistent packet contents / length. I had best results with whats attached there and was offline from myacurite for years.

--- Quote from: ColoradoWeather on January 29, 2019, 11:49:20 AM --- Is a line in my Windows Host/ LMHOST file redirecting the host to a local IP on my home network enough to keep the packets flowing?

--- End quote ---
No - the SmartHub needs to look up hubapi.myacurite.com  and get a different IP (the one you have set up your responder service on) not Acurites real internet IP.   

Jack Bowman:
When it goes into standby mode and tries every few minutes will it be sending the necessary string to parse current weather information from, or just attempting a connect?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version