Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149882 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #500 on: April 09, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
My PI install has automatically reconnected with WXRadio Icecast server on at least 2 occasions. But I often lose connection to my own Icecast server and it doesn't come back up unless I restart the service.

Oh well, I'm not using the local anyway.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #501 on: April 09, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
My PI install has automatically reconnected with WXRadio Icecast server on at least 2 occasions. But I often lose connection to my own Icecast server and it doesn't come back up unless I restart the service.

Oh well, I'm not using the local anyway.

Yeah the in the latest version of Darkice (or what's in the Git repository) has more error checking for remote servers, so if you look at you're log, you'll see something like this:

Code: [Select]
09-Apr-2017 05:09:47 BufferedSink, new peak: 336  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:47 BufferedSink, new peak: 825  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:47 BufferedSink, new peak: 1700  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:47 BufferedSink, new peak: 3444  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:48 BufferedSink, new peak: 7015  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:49 BufferedSink, new peak: 14356  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:50 BufferedSink, new peak: 28758  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:09:54 BufferedSink, new peak: 57928  /  480000
09-Apr-2017 05:10:23 BufferedSink, healed: 0  /  480000

That's it dealing with internet connection/quality issues, and I believe it will try to reconnect indefinitely, but if the Icecast server is down for a long time (like a few hours or days) then you would have to restart Darkice when it comes back up.

It's because of that error checking that I compile it from source rather than installing it with apt-get.  I don't think the Debian/Raspbian repositories have the latest version yet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:33:19 PM by tim273 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #502 on: April 11, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »
Hi ValentineWeather,

Was this what you purchased?
https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8

I have a similar syle home (age and electrical-wise)

Thanks,
Chris

Exactly what I ordered. I had one of these once before but left it in Arizona.

This did not work. Returned today....
Randy

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #503 on: April 11, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »
Is the hum being genearted by the radio?  In other words do you hear it when the radio is disconnected from the pc?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
Is the hum being genearted by the radio?  In other words do you hear it when the radio is disconnected from the pc?

No only when connected and broadcasting using the 3.5 jack and cable. If I unplug power supply and go on radio batteries only hum disappears. Or not using aux cable directly through speaker no hum either.
Randy

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #505 on: April 11, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
I had that issue and solved it with a ground loop isolator in-line between the radio & the pc.  This is what I used:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/152484868945

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »
I had that issue and solved it with a ground loop isolator in-line between the radio & the pc.  This is what I used:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/152484868945

Thanks I'll give it a try. Much cheaper too. 
Randy

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2017, 04:48:21 PM »
133 streams as of 04/12/2017

...and our stream links are beginning to be 'scraped' by some of the 'bigger boys' who're starting to figure out WU is dead, and we're where the stuff is...  ah, well. "Save a Life"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:15:37 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Helmsword

« Reply #508 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
It took them that long to notice WU Died...

Like i said before, Weather Underground will eventually be shooting themselves pretty hard in the foot once they realize what they did cost them.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #509 on: April 13, 2017, 05:15:31 PM »

Yeah! It worked hum is gone.  =D>
Randy

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #510 on: April 13, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
Just an FYI
Yesterday morning (12 April) the transmitter I pick up to stream was working fine.
Cutty and I were corresponding and he indicated that my stream was off-line.  I looked into it and indeed the transmission I pick up from NOAA was dead.  I submitted a report through the NOAA Radio page (http://nws.noaa.gov/nwr/.  An individual got back to me pretty quick and we worked through some trouble shooting steps.

Bottom line the transmitter was/is down and they did not know.  The reporting process worked really well, the transmitter is now listed as offline.  They are working on it.

I do encourage using the reporting system is you feel your transmitter is down - we are the "ears" for them after all.

Anyway, like I said just an FYI.

CW3699

• Forecaster
« Reply #511 on: April 13, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
Just an FYI
Yesterday morning (12 April) the transmitter I pick up to stream was working fine.
Cutty and I were corresponding and he indicated that my stream was off-line.  I looked into it and indeed the transmission I pick up from NOAA was dead.  I submitted a report through the NOAA Radio page (http://nws.noaa.gov/nwr/.  An individual got back to me pretty quick and we worked through some trouble shooting steps.

Bottom line the transmitter was/is down and they did not know.  The reporting process worked really well, the transmitter is now listed as offline.  They are working on it.

I do encourage using the reporting system is you feel your transmitter is down - we are the "ears" for them after all.

Anyway, like I said just an FYI.
Ya Do Good!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #512 on: April 13, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
I had a similar experience with KEC49 (Monterey) -- I did file a report with the NWR site, but it was the weekend and when they came back Monday with a 'there's no trouble' response, I called the WFO in Monterey.  After navigating the (incredibly bad) voice mail selection tree, got the number for the WFO forecasters.  Called that and a real human forecaster answered.  I said that KEC49 was not broadcasting.. he checked, and sure enough, was off-the-air.  He dispatched the techs (who happened to be working on the KMUX radar adjacent) who rebooted the radio system.
So.. It also pays to have the local WFO forecast phone.  They do consider the NWR outage to be a severe outage and will work to have it restored.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

• Forecaster
« Reply #513 on: April 13, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
I had a similar experience with KEC49 (Monterey) -- I did file a report with the NWR site, but it was the weekend and when they came back Monday with a 'there's no trouble' response, I called the WFO in Monterey.  After navigating the (incredibly bad) voice mail selection tree, got the number for the WFO forecasters.  Called that and a real human forecaster answered.  I said that KEC49 was not broadcasting.. he checked, and sure enough, was off-the-air.  He dispatched the techs (who happened to be working on the KMUX radar adjacent) who rebooted the radio system.
So.. It also pays to have the local WFO forecast phone.  They do consider the NWR outage to be a severe outage and will work to have it restored.
DamnDarn... gonna run out of Gold Stars.

• Forecaster
« Reply #514 on: April 13, 2017, 06:27:38 PM »

Yeah! It worked hum is gone.  =D>

and an old audio cable 'er two...  gotta junk collection like me, maybe got old modems, boards, with 1:1 isolation xfmrs lyin' 'round...  600 ohms maybe...

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #515 on: April 13, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
Our local transmitter is back up and running  =D>

CW3699

• Forecaster
« Reply #516 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »
..."and the hits just keep on coming ..."  (old AM rock'n'roll DJ promo)  :roll:
135 streams as of 04/13/2017

2 Countries, 42 states and provinces.... if I counted 'em correctly...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:36:17 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #517 on: April 13, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »
Got the map updated, Folks.

States without feeds currently, unless I've missed one, or some (possible)

Alaska
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
New Mexico
Mississippi
Georgia
Vermont
Delaware
Rhode island
West Virginia
Puerto Rico
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Helmsword

« Reply #518 on: April 13, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »

Alaska
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
New Mexico
Mississippi
Georgia
Vermont
Delaware
Rhode island
West Virginia
Puerto Rico

Should I be able to get a stream going, a stream in Georgia may be possible.
Depends though.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #519 on: April 13, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »

Alaska
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
New Mexico
Mississippi
Georgia
Vermont
Delaware
Rhode island
West Virginia
Puerto Rico

Depends though.

Hi,

What are you needing information or assistance on/with? Check the "How to" page here. Have questions, please ask. We're happy to help.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Helmsword

« Reply #520 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »

Alaska
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
New Mexico
Mississippi
Georgia
Vermont
Delaware
Rhode island
West Virginia
Puerto Rico

Depends though.

Hi,

What are you needing information or assistance on/with? Check the "How to" page here. Have questions, please ask. We're happy to help.

John
I'll be reading the "How To" page in order to get a stream going. Should anything come to mind, I'll ask as well.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #521 on: April 13, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »
Wish I could get a signal in my basement then Colorado will be up.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #522 on: April 14, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
With well over 130 streams available, it became time for a major update of the fully loaded version of the software.

Remember there are two versions of the software available:

For those of you who wish to be able to link to all of those streams from your site, there is the fully loaded version.  This is the version with a major update.

The latest version of the current script  you can see it in action  here .  Jerry gwwilk was very very kind to help consolidate the code to the point that we now have 2 files instead of 3.   The code now consists of a main script and an include script.  The select file has now been moved into the include script.  The code should also be a bit faster with the changes as well.  I want to thank Gerry for his efforts, I think my earlier work caused him enough pain that he felt the amount of time spent on the work would reduce the constant need for him to take another antacid whenever he looked at the earlier code. 

As before, I have the two files available via ?sce=view.  Please note that the include file is constantly updating as we add stations, or if stations change their url, so you may need to download updates of that file from time to time to keep up, but now it is only one file not two.  Although for this update you will need to upload the main file as well.

The main file can be downloaded here and the include file which really does all the work can be downloaded here .  To have the code start on your area weather station change the default callsign on the main page you can also adjust the width of the display at that location.

The current version for the files as of this moment.... is 20170414.

UPDATE: The include file is 20170414A - Found a bug when trying to access the website supplying the feed.

For those who only wish to stream their own stream there is the economy version, this one shouldn't require much maintenance as you aren't tracking all of those new streams.  This version has a operator defined setup at the top of the page, like its big brother it is designed around the Saratoga template and it is one script rather than 2.  You can see it in action here and it can be downloaded here .  This file as it doesn't have all of those bells and whistles was not updated, much like an old VW bug.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:48:12 PM by satcop »
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline chappelledpc

• Senior Contributor
    • Stonybrook South
« Reply #523 on: April 15, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »
With well over 130 streams available, it became time for a major update of the fully loaded version of the software.

Remember there are two versions of the software available:

For those of you who wish to be able to link to all of those streams from your site, there is the fully loaded version.  This is the version with a major update.

The latest version of the current script  you can see it in action  here .  Jerry gwwilk was very very kind to help consolidate the code to the point that we now have 2 files instead of 3.   The code now consists of a main script and an include script.  The select file has now been moved into the include script.  The code should also be a bit faster with the changes as well.  I want to thank Gerry for his efforts, I think my earlier work caused him enough pain that he felt the amount of time spent on the work would reduce the constant need for him to take another antacid whenever he looked at the earlier code. 

As before, I have the two files available via ?sce=view.  Please note that the include file is constantly updating as we add stations, or if stations change their url, so you may need to download updates of that file from time to time to keep up, but now it is only one file not two.  Although for this update you will need to upload the main file as well.

The main file can be downloaded here and the include file which really does all the work can be downloaded here .  To have the code start on your area weather station change the default callsign on the main page you can also adjust the width of the display at that location.

The current version for the files as of this moment.... is 20170414.

UPDATE: The include file is 20170414A - Found a bug when trying to access the website supplying the feed.

For those who only wish to stream their own stream there is the economy version, this one shouldn't require much maintenance as you aren't tracking all of those new streams.  This version has a operator defined setup at the top of the page, like its big brother it is designed around the Saratoga template and it is one script rather than 2.  You can see it in action here and it can be downloaded here .  This file as it doesn't have all of those bells and whistles was not updated, much like an old VW bug.

Bob

Very nice!!  Thanks for all the work you and Gerry put into this and a special thanks to you Bob for all of the work you do to keep it updated.  Much appreciated by all.

Doug

• Forecaster
« Reply #524 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »

136 streams as of 04/19/2017

Couple youse guys changing mount points e.g.... please use the update form if you make changes! Otherwise, you're apt to go dead!
We've several  scripts to modify  and all three of us will receive those change notifications almost immediately...otherwise ???
http://noaaweatherradio.org/addstream/addstream.html
...tanks youse all.  :twisted:

anything