Author Topic: UK Based home use station  (Read 2101 times)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: UK Based home use station
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 06:38:19 AM »
https://weatherspares.co.uk/products/garni-wifi-weather-station-940 looks similar probably some variance but the experienced users of ecowitt will give you the finer points .

Wi-Fi weather station with an integrated 7-in-1 wireless outdoor sensor. Data can be uploaded via Wi-Fi to 4 different weather servers, along with you own server and can be viewed anywhere you have internet access.

Key features:

Inverse V. A. colour display
Measurement of indoor / outdoor temperature and relative humidity
Data upload to Weather Underground
Time and date are adjusted from the Internet
Wireless sensor signal range up to 100m in open area
Mounts on pole up to 50mm in diameter (not included)
24 month warranty
Full technical description:

Indoor temperature measurement range / tolerance -10 °C to + 60 °C / ±1 °C
Resolution of internal temperature 0.1 °C
External temperature measurement range / tolerance -25 °C to + 60 °C / ±1 °C
Resolution of external temperature 0,1°C
Internal rel. humidity measurement range / tolerance 10% to 99% / ±5%
Resolution of internal relative humidity 1%
External rel. humidity measurement range / tolerance 10% to 99% / ±5%
Resolution of external relative humidity 1%
Heat index yes, external only
Display of the dew point value yes, external
Bar. pressure measurement range / tolerance 300 to 1100 hPa (700 to 1100 hPa / ±3 hPa)
Resolution of barometric pressure measurement 0,1 hPa
Absolute / relative barometric pressure display yes / yes (relative bar pressure adjustment possible)
Wind speed measurement range / tolerance 0 to 50 m / s (± 1 m / s (below 5 m / s); ± 10% (above 5 m / s)
Resolution of wind speed 0,1 m/s
Wind direction measurement 0 ° to 360 °, 16 positions
Resolution of wind direction 1°
Display of the Wind Chill value yes
Measuring rainfall 0-6000 mm
Resolution of rainfall 0.1 mm (0.01 inch)
Moon phase yes
Principle of weather forecasts based on the changes barometric pressure
Number of weather forecast icons 5 (sunny, partly cloudy, cloudy, rain, snow)
Signal range up to 100 m in open space
Data transmission interval 16 s
Transmission frequency of wireless sensors 868 MHz
Wi-Fi standard 802.11
Wi-Fi frequency 2,4 GHz
Memory to MAX and MIN measured values max and min values ​​of indoor and outdoor temperature and relative humidity, max values ​​of UV index, light intensity, wind speed and total rainfall
Alarm of upper and lower temperature limits yes
Alarm of upper and lower limit of relative humidity yes
Other alarms upper limits of wind speed, wind impact, total rainfall
Date Yes, adjusted from the Internet, or manually
Time Yes, adjusted from the Internet or manually
Date format 12/24 hours
Alarm yes
Time zone yes (-12 to + 12 hours)
Dimensions of the display 156 x 76 mm
Digit size - main unit time 12 mm, date 8mm, UV index 11 mm, illumination intensity 11 mm, temperature and relative humidity 14 mm, precipitation 13 mm wind speed 5 mm, barometric pressure 8 mm
Main Unit Display Illumination yes, colour inversion, constantly via power supply, 2 intensity levels, possibility to switch off the lighting
Weight main unit 264 g (incl. stand)
Option to stand / hang up the sensor display unit yes / yes
Power supply main unit AC adapter 100-240V, 50/60 Hz, 0.2A / 5V, 1.0A (included), 3 x 1.5A AAA batteries (not included)
integrated wireless sensor 2 x 1.5V batteries type AA Alkaline or Lithium only
Integrated wireless sensor 418 x 405 x 205 mm
integrated wireless sensor 582 g
integrated wireless white sensor, rain funnel, weather vane and wind cups
integrated wireless a sensor attachments for pole (pole not included)
Other functions measured data transferred via Wi-Fi connection to Weather Underground, Weather Cloud, Weather Observations, Ecowitt and user's own server
UV radiation measurement range / tolerance yes
Illumination intensity measurement range / tolerance 0 to 400k Lux ± 15%
Resolution of light intensity 0.01

Adrian is a trusted source ! and a dedicated weather station store

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »
That Garni weather station is an option but the console is a low end model (equivalent to the HP2909)
The Tri_arm external sensor is all the same however (WH65)

If locally sourced is important, I would perhaps suggest that you go for the NevadaRadio model from Portsmouth. Its a rebadged HP2550 and is identical in all ways from the Ecowitt kit.
Uses same firmware etc
If you do this it will get you operational with a good console and standard tri-wing external sensor array and then you can consider adding to it from other sources such as direct from Ecowitt (for the entire range and all spares) or from Froggit (www.froggit.de) in Germany who carry much of the Fine Offset/Ecowitt range and spares at the correct 868Mhz range. This way you can take your time and swap out the all-in one for the individual sensor items etc if that's your wish. The system is entirely modular and work hand in hand.

However I would not be scared from buying direct from Ecowitt.
There customer support is exceptional even if it is via e-mail as they are based in Shenzen.
Their prices are competitive and all my current kit came direct from them.
If you are interested you can get them to give you a quote for a bespoke system and 48hr shipping to the UK
Just send Lucy an e-mail with your shopping list (support@ecowitt.com)

I meant to add if you want to use software like WeatherDisplay or CumulusMX then you will also need a Ecowitt GW1000 (or Froggit DP1500) at the same frequency so that you can 'read' the sensor data and make it available to your preferred software options. This is not expensive (<50 Euros)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:37:16 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »
I'm sure we have all been in etaf's shoes. The choice is yours etaf, I know that if I had done this all again, I'd have gone with a Davis vantage Pro2 from the start, rather than buying one 3 weather stations down the line.

Anyway, Have fun choosing, and enjoy whatever you purchase.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline navzptc

• Lavant Down
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
I purchased the WS-8686 from Nevada when it came out and am very pleased with it - easy to install and it  hasn't missed a beat since installation.

I rang up last week about obtaining another display, and whilst not available yet as a 'spare', I got the impression they would become available in the future.

Unit firmware and EasyWeather all updated easily to latest versions.

For the price, highly recommended 👍🏻

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
Thanks @navzptc for the reply, getting quite confused, But location is also becoming an issue in the garden now i have spoken to my wife :) :)
I notice your just up the road from us.

i have played with a pole and now could have the unit about 6ft above the conservatory, otherwise, its near garages, and concrete

So still looking at all the unit options and where the sensors would actually be located and if they would work in the garden now.

I guess for £200 worth a punt, and then see if i get hooked, and move onto a £1500 unit, (14%) see if i make use of the UV & sunlight features and even if i continue to look at it :) :)

Thanks to all and for the continued advice and suggestions, i have also written to ecowitt as suggested

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »

I rang up last week about obtaining another display, and whilst not available yet as a 'spare', I got the impression they would become available in the future.

Why wait for Nevada to carry the display you want? Just order directly from Ecowitt as they ship worldwide.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline navzptc

• Lavant Down
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 11:58:53 AM »
 Because I'm not in any rush to get it, and would prefer to collect it direct from Nevada who I have used for many many years 👍🏻

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time and providing a lot of thought provoking information.
having reviewed all the information , i decided to order the Watson W8686 from Navada Portsmouth which is a clone of the HP2550 model.

I thought for under £200 for a complete unit delivered tomorrow, with UV & sunlight measurement , would be a reasonable place to start for a minimum investment ,  and then see if i do get interested in the weather station enough to then invest £1500+ later if i really wanted to.

Also having discussing at length with my wife who loves her garden , she was really not happy about having a pole in the garden, which was my ideal initial placement area, over flat grass and away from any buildings.

So i have had to compromise and hopefully will be putting the sensors about 4-6ft above our conservatory roof and away from the house, with sunlight most of the day , which will at least give us an indication, if not completely accurate readings.

If she also get interested and sees any benefit for herself, then that may make the PRO2 an option for me down the line.

I had a reply from Ecowitt, but i think with the import duty etc the unit would be much higher price looking at thier website.

I wont regrete the outlay, as its an investment in a toy for a bit of fun, and if it only last a year, or i get frustrated with the kit, then at least I know, i can upgrade and save up towards the decent kit.
I did start out thinking of spending about £300 and quickly got to 5 times that.

I just wanted to give everyone a reply, and say I really did appreciate the response on this forum, and the straight replies and information without a load of flames going on between members, which I so often see on the TEch sites i Moderate and some of the Excel & DIY forums I regularly contribute to

Thanks again, i'm sure i will be posting again, and if all goes pear shaped happy to get the "untold you so" replies

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
I thought i would start a thread on  my new Station , given the contribution made to this thread by everyone , i felt i should at least contribute something back in return

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39581