Author Topic: New home construction what type wire is needed for hookup?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline easytim

I will be installing a Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2 Weather Station 6152 Pro2

My question is, I want to put it on the roof of my home

If I mount it on my roof what type of wiring should be used to, I will be wanting the wire to go
to a wiring closet where all my other structured wiring will be going.

So, my wire will run from the roof to the wiring closet, I just need to know what type of wire and size wire,
everything is boxed up right now, and I can't get to it to read about it.

I know I need a tripod, I have read Radio Shack sells this

I just need a little help, THANK YOU
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:59:36 AM by easytim »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: New home construction what type wire is needed for hookup?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
Wireless? Wiring? ??
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »

If I mount it on my roof what type of wiring should be used to, I will be wanting the wire to go

So, my wire will run from the roof to the wiring closet, I just need to know what type of wire and size wire,

If you have the 6152 (not the 6152C), then as it says it is wireless.  So no wires from the roof, unless you intend to use a heater for the rain collector, and/or run a FARS on wired power.

If you are going to use a logger in the console, you need to consider wiring for that.  If so, tell us more.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »

Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but bringing a lead from a potential lightning rod into my central wiring closet would make me pretty nervous.  I'm thinking of data network wiring in particular.

Make sure you've got proper provisions to handle lighting issues in place.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »
When I built my house a few years back, I ran a 2" PVC pipe from the attic through the walls of the 1st & 2nd floor and into the basement. I had no idea of what it would be used for at the time. As it turns out, it has an antenna wire, a IP cam CAT5 and maybe soon a security cam wire or 2.
 So even if you don't know what wires may be needed, they are a lot easier to run if there is a pipe in place.  ;)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:16:27 PM »
I'm going to go slightly OT here and say, if you have any trenches open (water, utilities, etc) extra pipe or plastic conduit is really inexpensive to drop in for future proofing. Every trench we dug for our house 20 years ago got extra, and over the years, I've used most of it for one thing or another.

And dang, while I did prewire the house with lots of extra TV, phone, and outlets, I didn't run any empty conduit between the attic and crawlspace. And the house was pre "popularized Internet" so I didn't run any Cat5. I had to run all that through the crawlspace.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »
+1 and +1 on the last two posts.  If I was doing new construction, wireless or not I would run Cat 5e or 6 EVERYWHERE.  With POE you can do a lot of stuff in the future like webcams etc.  And like SLOweathersuggests, any opening gets conduit (and a two-way pull-wire).
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline easytim

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

If you have the 6152 (not the 6152C), then as it says it is wireless.  So no wires from the roof, unless you intend to use a heater for the rain collector, and/or run a FARS on wired power.

If you are going to use a logger in the console, you need to consider wiring for that.  If so, tell us more.

I bought this in a hurry, the unit then needs to be powered by a battery?

Yes, I do want to use a logger

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »

I bought this in a hurry, the unit then needs to be powered by a battery?

Yes, I do want to use a logger

Perhaps it would be helpful if you would open the box long enough to extract and read the installation instructions (or go to davisnet.com and download them and read them).

1.  The outside unit is solar powered (with battery backup).
     The inside unit (console) is AC powered with battery backup.

2.  Which sort of logger?  Serial/USB or IP?

If Serial or USB, then you will need a cable between the console (installed logger) and the computer where you will run your weather software 24/7.

If the WeatherLinkIP logger, then you will need a CAT5 cable between the console and your wiring closet.

anything