Author Topic: Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS  (Read 14370 times)

Offline n3b

Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS
« on: February 05, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
I Tried to find a topic already, but didn't find any.

I'm following the Weatherflow weather station, it's still in Indiegogo project, but still a very exciting product I think will give "regular" weather stations a competition.

What I like about it is that it has a ultrasonic anemometer that should manage a winter without any problems.
It's also very interesting that is have a Taptic rain sensor, that should make the tipping bucket problems history.

The disadvantage is that it's several units, No-console display, a HUB, a "air" ( temperature sensor ) and a separate wind and rain unit "Sky".

The advantage about several units is that you can place the temperature sensor in the shadow and the sky on the roof without have to worry about the temperature on the surface.

A map of test units can be found on:
http://fsoft.com/smartweather.cfm

You can read in their community:
https://community.weatherflow.com

How to pre-order:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations/#/

Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/weatherflowgroup/

Youtube video:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IC2ecYY8rw[/youtube]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
The advantage about several units is that you can place the temperature sensor in the shadow and the sky on the roof without have to worry about the temperature on the surface.
There is nothing advantageous about a temp sensor that needs to be put in the shade. Reliable shade in my neck of the woods (as is for me), is usually non-existent.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
you can put in a proper screen (e.g stevenson screen)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »
Part of the benchmark against 'regular' prosumer stations like the Davis VP2 will be how accurate and reliable the WF will be in extended independent trials. And I agree with CW2274, it's kind of odd, bizarre even, that any weather station should be launched that doesn't have a decent radiation shield for the temperature sensor.

you can put in a proper screen (e.g stevenson screen)

But you know how much a good screen costs.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »
you can make your own screen , there are plenty of you tube videos on how to do that
and in the future they will provide one
its means its more flexible the way it is now
it uses the same (latest) chip sensor for temperature and humidity that davis uses
I have one
and I have it next to my Davis sensor, in a stevenson screen, and the temperature is exactly the same

surprised at the knee jerk reaction here again

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »

surprised at the knee jerk reaction here again
It's like buying a car without wheels. Why bother. Get me something that does the job outta the box.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
then you purchase a more expensive solution like a Davis
it is on their road map to make a screen available
or you roll your own or use an existing one you have etc
some of the cheap chinese stations come with a screen...but its not actually good enough...and so people are in a false sense of security

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »

some of the cheap chinese stations come with a screen...but its not actually good enough...and so people are in a false sense of security
You make my point, as I'm sure there are some folks buying this thinking they can just throw it anywhere. Hardly the case.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
but that is the same for just about any of the cheap chinese style weather stations, even with a shield (i,e an inadequate one)
people site those badly too

even the Davis vue is not a good design, as its often put on top of a roof etc

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
even the Davis vue is not a good design,
Compared to this thing, it's an ASOS, at least it can be put in the sun....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
even the Davis vue is not a good design, as its often put on top of a roof etc
BTW, that has nothing to do with design, but everything to do with people that don't know any better. Any PWS on a roof is probably a bad choice.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
but you put a davis vue on the roof to get good windspeed readings
ideally it should be on a pole over grass
but then also idealy that pole should be only 1.8m high otherwise the temperature reading will be non standard (i.e too high off the ground)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
but you put a davis vue on the roof to get good windspeed readings
You might, I sure as hell wouldn't.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »
and so WF is actually more flexable in its design that a Davis Vue is
they are also going to be releasing a indoor temp/hum separate sensor (which will be better than a sensor in a davis console that gets heated up by the data logger or back light)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
and so WF is actually more flexable in its design that a Davis Vue is
Yeah, a thermo/hydro sensor that MUST be shaded is certainly more flexible. Please.... :roll:

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
its more flexible that a sensor that can not be separated from the rest of the station
the WF stations are aimed at weather geeks
they already know about correct siting of sensors, sheilds, etc
I think you need to get down off your high horse sometimes, some of the responses here on this forum must really put people off posting at all

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 06:08:38 PM »
I think you need to get down off your high horse
I knew this was going to turn into a pissing contest. Look, if me stating facts is a high horse, so be it, I'll climb a higher one. I posted here to give those perhaps less educated something to chew over if they are considering this purchase....period. If you like it, FANTASTIC, enjoy......

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »

As you can see by reading the above, any time that the WeatherFlow station comes up here it turns into an argument over the Air's lack of an integrated solar radiation shield.  Even the WF creator himself was driven from this forum by the hostile attitude!

I jumped on the campaign when it was first announced, and have been happy with the product concepts and direction it is moving...even if they are a year behind their original schedule.  There is an invitation to join their new support forums in the latest Indiegogo update, should you want to read about other customers' siting experiences with the actual product.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »

As you can see by reading the above, any time that the WeatherFlow station comes up here it turns into an argument over the Air's lack of an integrated solar radiation shield.  Even the WF creator himself was driven from this forum by the hostile attitude!

I jumped on the campaign when it was first announced, and have been happy with the product concepts and direction it is moving...even if they are a year behind their original schedule.  There is an invitation to join their new support forums in the latest Indiegogo update, should you want to read about other customers' siting experiences with the actual product.....

Yep.  It's a real shame the opposition to change some folks have here. 

I've also been a backer since way back when on Indiegogo.  So far I only have the Air, but the Sky with the haptic rain sensor really intrigues me, as well as the sonic anemometer. 

I'm really impressed with the build quality of the Air and if the  Sky has a similar build with great readings, I'll be very happy.  If not, well, it was just an experiment where even failure provides valuable knowledge.  I'll be disappointed, of course, but still happy for the experience.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:13:12 PM by nincehelser »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »

No doubt, but for myself, that's an absolute cop out. You give me something that's superior to what I have (GL with that, and obviously price considering) and I'll jump off what I have in a split second. This as is, ain't it.....YET. Allow it to sit in the sun with a true quality shield and maybe we'll talk.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
Follows is the official NWS recommendation on how to site an air temp gauge. They say the gauge should be freely exposed to air, sunshine and correctly shielded. I interpret that to mean the sensor should not be put under a tree, porch, shady side of house, etc. The manufacturers of such systems should remember to include NWS 10-1302 and either an effective temp shield or else instructions on how to build a Stevenson screen. Separate sensors are a good thing but they need to be correctly setup.

=========================================================   
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INSTRUCTION 10-1302
NOVEMBER 14, 2014
Operations and Services
Surface Observing Program (Land), NDSPD 10-13
REQUIREMENTS AND STANDARDS FOR NWS CLIMATE OBSERVATIONS

........4 Air temperature. Air temperature is temperature of the free air conditions surrounding the
station at a height between 4 and 6 feet above ground level. The air should be freely exposed to
sunshine and wind and not close to or shielded by trees, buildings, or other obstructions.
4.1 Air Temperature Measurement Performance. The following temperature instruments are
used in the NWS cooperative observing program:
a. maximum / Minimum Temperature System (i.e., MMTS)
b. liquid-in-glass maximum and minimum thermometers
Temperature instruments will be shielded from the following elements:
a. precipitation
b. direct and reflected sunshine
c. direct and reflected thermal energy (i.e., Infrared)
All thermometers should be shielded with a thermoscreen or radiation shelter just large enough
to protect against the elements stated, and slotted sufficiently to allow air to advect naturally into
and out of the thermoscreen during calm air conditions. Powered aspirators are not required for
these instruments.
All temperature measuring instruments should be issued with a certificate confirming
compliance with the appropriate performance specification and accuracy; or be issued with a
calibration certificate which gives the corrections that are applied to meet the required accuracy.
This initial testing should be performed by an accredited calibration laboratory or a national
testing institution.......

=========================================================

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »

No doubt, but for myself, that's an absolute cop out. You give me something that's superior to what I have (GL with that, and obviously price considering) and I'll jump off what I have in a split second. This as is, ain't it.....YET. Allow it to sit in the sun with a true quality shield and maybe we'll talk. 

In other words, you're not an "early adopter" and don't like new stuff until it proves itself to you.  That's OK.  But that's a situation where there's little to learn and move forward with the technology.  By the time you're at "maybe we'll talk stage", you're already eating dust from everyone else who started testing the waters before you.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »

In other words, you're not an "early adopter" and don't like new stuff until it proves itself to you.  That's OK.  But that's a situation where there's little to learn and move forward with the technology.  By the time you're at "maybe we'll talk stage", you're already eating dust from everyone else who started testing the waters before you.
Eating dust? My "ancient" VP2's performance (talking temp/humidity performance, which is what this has been about) holds a candle for no one to this day, and will continue to do so until whomever proves otherwise. I can't just willy-nilly buy PWS's just for the sake of comparison, evidently you can.
Keep us posted, will ya? ;)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
Eating dust? My "ancient" VP2's performance (talking temp/humidity performance, which is what this has been about) holds a candle for no one to this day, and will continue to do so until whomever proves otherwise. I can't just willy-nilly buy PWS's just for the sake of comparison, evidently you can.

You don't buy thing "willy-nilly", just buy what interests you for the future.  It's clear you are satisfied with the tech in your VP2.  I'm not, and I moved away from the VP2 years ago.  Innovation doesn't seem to be part of its vocabulary.  I'm just not into "grandpa's" weather station.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
I'm just not into "grandpa's" weather station.
Just because you've got a bad taste in your mouth with Davis, be sure of one thing, Gramp's station performance will kick the crap outta anything from Acurite.

anything