Author Topic: Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS  (Read 14369 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
More likely that IGG is getting around being on the hook for credit card charge-backs whenever someone disputes the charges by holding funds until the dispute window closes.

There is a thread on the WF support forums detailing this, and I'd sign up and follow it for updates.....

https://community.weatherflow.com/
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »
Got my sky unit Friday...working on siting/mounting now.  The Air unit, FWIW, is always within 0.5 degrees or so within my Davis VP2+ reading.  Their humidity reading needs some refinement though.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
Does anyone have feedback on the rainfall accuracy of weatherflow?  I do not own WF (I do own a VP2), but compare my station to others.  When looking at Weather Underground the two weatherflow stations in my area are WILDY inaccurate in regards to rainfall.  Today, most stations in a 5 mile radius had between .25 and .60 inches of rain.  The two WF stations had 1.65 and 2.50 inches.

Seems there are some big issues here with accuracy and rainfall. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 11:06:59 AM »
Mine hasn't been accurate yet, but I blame that on my mounting.  I think it's getting too much vibration from the pole being mounted on my wooden deck.  I plan to isolate the pole to see if the readings improve.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
Mine hasn't been accurate yet, but I blame that on my mounting.  I think it's getting too much vibration from the pole being mounted on my wooden deck.  I plan to isolate the pole to see if the readings improve.

I'd imagine most backers/owners of WF are quite angry.  In regards to isolating the pole, I hope it works for you.  I will say that this morning we had thunderstorms role through, but the wind on my VP2 remained "calm" through the duration of the event.  So that would suggest the two WF units in my area probably did not receive much vibration.  Lots of thunder and lightening though, maybe that had an effect?

Either way, I've noticed this with other rain events.  The two WF stations are way high (double/triple or more in most cases) than any other PWS in the area.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:37:41 PM by dport »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
When I finally get my WF I will compare it to my two Rainwise tippers (one of which is not reporting right now due to debris in the bucket) and the most accurate of all, my Cocorahs.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »
Weatherflow Smart Weather Station came Monday, I set it up Tuesday (remarkably easy) in anticipation of rain Yesterday. 

Watching the temperature, dew point and humidity data it is within a degree or two of my Rainwise.  Wind data won't be good until it gets on the roof.  Folks on the WF message board have reported wild rainfall errors like a foot of rain in one storm.  While I did not see that, the results weren't perfect.  Lets hope the self diagnostics WF speaks of are not just hooey and the data gets better.  Here are my results from yesterday:

Rainwise Tipper 1 (just cleaned Tuesday) 1.05"
Rainwise Tipper 2  1.00"
Weatherflow Smart Station  1.20"
Cocorahs  1.07" (most rain in my state today!)

Also, this bright, sunny morning the Weatherflow reported .004" at 7:13am.  It is temporarily set up on my deck until I can get my son over to help me mount it on the roof.  I suppose it is possible the ultrasonic sensor detected my movements, but if so why only the one time?

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Is there any way to calibrate the WeatherFlow's rain output?  I gave mine to my brother, and it's reading quite a bit above his nearby CoCoRahs.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Is there any way to calibrate the WeatherFlow's rain output?  I gave mine to my brother, and it's reading quite a bit above his nearby CoCoRahs.

There is much discussion about this on the Weatherflow Owners board.  I believe the units are supposed to self-calibrate and get more accurate the longer they are in place.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »

There is much discussion about this on the Weatherflow Owners board.  I believe the units are supposed to self-calibrate and get more accurate the longer they are in place.
Thanks for the info.  We'll just have to wait to see how that works out. :shock:
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

Thanks for the info.  We'll just have to wait to see how that works out. :shock:

I got the Sky on the roof yesterday and so far it is tracking wind speed and direction in sync with my Rainwise.  In fact it seems more sensitive and picks up just a whiff of a breeze.  The watts and UV graphs are interesting too.

The only thing I haven't been able to measure yet is lightning.  Maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline Ken7

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2019, 10:16:28 PM »
How have the WeatherFlow owners found the accuracy of their units now that they've had some time for the equipment to go through the 'learning' process? I see there hasn't been a post here since August.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 06:32:46 AM »
The temperature sensor is always within a degree of my Rainwise and I think the wind sensor is working well too.  Can't speak for the rain gauge until Spring.

Offline Ken7

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 07:06:25 AM »
Thanks Steve. So the wind is tracking well with your Rainwise? Does that include rain events, assuming you’ve had any rain since you received the Weatherflow?

I seem to recall reading that they were experimenting with some type of surface coating that would repel rain within the wind detection cavity, enabling more accurate wind measurements during rain events. I haven’t seen any update on that.

I’m on Long Island and there are a few Weatherflow units here as shown on the Weatherflow map. In checking their readings, there are a few with some bizarre humidity readings (reading 20% when humidity in the area might be in the 90s). The other anomaly I’ve seen are detection of lightning strikes. There seem to be many false triggers. In the winter, with clear skies, some units are recording multiple strikes. I took a peek at yours and yours too is showing lightning strikes 6 days ago. Is that a known issue?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:19:12 AM by Ken7 »

Offline Ken7

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »
Just an update here. I received both my Air & Sky units a bit over a week ago. My rain data has been excellent. We've had 2 rain events here with the first one dropping about 1.13" on my VP2 and 1.14" on my Sky! To be within .01" for this event is extremely impressive. Our 2nd rain event was also in good agreement if not the same as the first, .91" for the Sky and 1.01" for the VP2. Not sure which was more accurate as both amounts were consistent with many other PWS in the area.

The wind too has been very impressive, with winds in line with the VP but slightly higher. What's very impressive are the gusts & lulls that are caught by the Sky that the VP2 can't seem to catch due to the momentum of the cups. That's a real strong point of the Sky with its sensors.

The biggest issue I have is with RH/DP. It seems the WF is slow to respond to changes and is generally deviating from my VP2 by 10% or so. Of course there are many times I feel my VP2's RH is off too, but I suspect the VP2 is more accurate for this parameter.

Temperature is almost always spot on with the VP2.

All in all I'm quite pleased and these units are always improving. The other thing I can't overemphasize is the responsiveness of the WF tech support team. These guys are top notch and unlike almost any other tech support group you're likely to find.

Offline Ken7

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Another update. I put my Air sensor array in an Ambient radiation shield. This improved the RH/DP readings immeasurably. They now track as well, if not better, than my Davis. I believe WF also introduced some improvements into their CL & calibration system, so that too might have played a role.

anything