Author Topic: Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS  (Read 14368 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherflow SMART HOME WEATHER STATIONS
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »
Eating dust? My "ancient" VP2's performance (talking temp/humidity performance, which is what this has been about) holds a candle for no one to this day, and will continue to do so until whomever proves otherwise. I can't just willy-nilly buy PWS's just for the sake of comparison, evidently you can.
Keep us posted, will ya? ;)
I'm just not into "grandpa's" weather station.
Just because you've got a bad taste in your mouth with Davis, be sure of one thing, Gramp's station performance will kick the crap outta anything from Acurite.

ooohhh... I'm so scared...   :roll:

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 03:23:11 AM »

surprised at the knee jerk reaction here again
It's like buying a car without wheels. Why bother. Get me something that does the job outta the box.

funny it is in your signature a vp2 with optional FARS (extra cost) to keep the temperatures inline .  as with the AIR sensor you can buy a 3rd party optional shield or just do DIY solution its not rocket science and your local DIY store probably has everything you need just like a cheap $20 bathroom aspirator which can be easily adapted. AIR is a first generation product just like all products early production runs against later production runs will differ and see improvements as time goes bye. has the VP2 always had a SHT31 ? has the VP2 always had a aerocone rain buckets , improvements always happen over time. as you can see from below

AIR model is not even a year old how old is the VP2 ? im sure in the early days of a VP2 release there were anomalies its the companies that listen to feedback and act upon them which make the difference long term. Weatherflow is listening and acting .

brian

SHT11: The previous standard VP2 T/H sensor is part 7346.166 which has now reached revision J. This part is thought to use the middle-ranking SHT-11 part (SHT-10 being unused by Davis), which is specified as having a typical temperature accuracy of ±0.4°C (at 25°C) and for humidity of ±3% over 20-80% RH, rising to 5% at 0 and 100% RH. The Vantage Vue is also thought to use this same SHT-11 sensor element.

SHT15: In 2015, Davis introduced part 7346.174 which uses the enhanced SHT15 T/H sensor. This option has two main benefits:

In addition to lowering the typical temperature accuracy at 25°C to ±0.3°C, the SHT-15 has an altogether shallower temperature/accuracy profile, which offers a roughly doubled temperature accuracy at eg -10°C and 40°C;
The baseline RH range of the SHT-15 is ±2% over 10-90% RH and maximum error at 100% RH is reduced to 4%.
This 7346.174 sensor is a direct drop-in replacement for the older 7346.166 part and may be used with no change in temperature offset being necessary. Note however that 7346.174 has only been made in limited quantities and may become increasingly difficult to source.

SHT31: The newly released SHT31 sensor is built into Davis part 7346.070. This is plug-compatible with the 7346.166 sensor and can be used with any VP2 station from 2006 on. However: The temperature calibration of the SHT31 sensor is slightly different from the previous sensor and if the 7346.070 sensor is used with a VP2 station prior to the AS revision then the temperature will read 0.5C high and therefore a temperature offset of -0.5C needs to be entered into the console in this scenario. (And conversely if eg an older 7346.166 sensor is used with a VP2 station of AS revision or later then the temperature will read 0.5C too low and an offset of +0.5C needs to be entered.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:39:42 AM by weatherist34 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 04:26:36 AM »

surprised at the knee jerk reaction here again
It's like buying a car without wheels. Why bother. Get me something that does the job outta the box.

funny it is in your signature a vp2 with optional FARS (extra cost) to keep the temperatures inline .  as with the AIR sensor you can buy a 3rd party optional shield or just do DIY solution its not rocket science and your local DIY store probably has everything you need just like a cheap $20 bathroom aspirator which can be easily adapted. AIR is a first generation product just like all products early production runs against later production runs will differ and see improvements as time goes bye. has the VP2 always had a SHT31 ? has the VP2 always had a aerocone rain buckets , improvements always happen over time. as you can see from below

AIR model is not even a year old how old is the VP2 ? im sure in the early days of a VP2 release there were anomalies its the companies that listen to feedback and act upon them which make the difference long term. Weatherflow is listening and acting .

brian

SHT11: The previous standard VP2 T/H sensor is part 7346.166 which has now reached revision J. This part is thought to use the middle-ranking SHT-11 part (SHT-10 being unused by Davis), which is specified as having a typical temperature accuracy of ±0.4°C (at 25°C) and for humidity of ±3% over 20-80% RH, rising to 5% at 0 and 100% RH. The Vantage Vue is also thought to use this same SHT-11 sensor element.

SHT15: In 2015, Davis introduced part 7346.174 which uses the enhanced SHT15 T/H sensor. This option has two main benefits:

In addition to lowering the typical temperature accuracy at 25°C to ±0.3°C, the SHT-15 has an altogether shallower temperature/accuracy profile, which offers a roughly doubled temperature accuracy at eg -10°C and 40°C;
The baseline RH range of the SHT-15 is ±2% over 10-90% RH and maximum error at 100% RH is reduced to 4%.
This 7346.174 sensor is a direct drop-in replacement for the older 7346.166 part and may be used with no change in temperature offset being necessary. Note however that 7346.174 has only been made in limited quantities and may become increasingly difficult to source.

SHT31: The newly released SHT31 sensor is built into Davis part 7346.070. This is plug-compatible with the 7346.166 sensor and can be used with any VP2 station from 2006 on. However: The temperature calibration of the SHT31 sensor is slightly different from the previous sensor and if the 7346.070 sensor is used with a VP2 station prior to the AS revision then the temperature will read 0.5C high and therefore a temperature offset of -0.5C needs to be entered into the console in this scenario. (And conversely if eg an older 7346.166 sensor is used with a VP2 station of AS revision or later then the temperature will read 0.5C too low and an offset of +0.5C needs to be entered.)
Y'all go right on ahead....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »

Or the nonsense brag about the CFM of your aspiration fan that you added after you opened the box.  Sheesh....   :roll:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:52:52 AM by nincehelser »

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
I Tried to find a topic already, but didn't find any.

As you can see by reading the above, any time that the WeatherFlow station comes up here it turns into an argument over the Air's lack of an integrated solar radiation shield.  Even the WF creator himself was driven from this forum by the hostile attitude!

I jumped on the campaign when it was first announced, and have been happy with the product concepts and direction it is moving...even if they are a year behind their original schedule.  There is an invitation to join their new support forums in the latest Indiegogo update, should you want to read about other customers' siting experiences with the actual product.....
Yep.  It's a real shame the opposition to change some folks have here. 
No doubt, but for myself, that's an absolute cop out. You give me something that's superior to what I have (GL with that, and obviously price considering) and I'll jump off what I have in a split second. This as is, ain't it.....YET. Allow it to sit in the sun with a true quality shield and maybe we'll talk.

I've had mine for several months and like it very much.
No one is trying to convince you to buy one.
You've stated the reasons for your dislike so why keep posting?
Do you have trouble letting things go?
Always have to have the last word?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
Allow it to sit in the sun with a true quality shield and maybe we'll talk.
I put mine in a stevenson screen
(only shield people should be using for any weather station if they want accurate temperature readings)
reports exactly the same temperature as a Davis station (I put my Davis VP2 sensor in their as well (I separated it from the ISS))

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't have a Davis anything.  I had one for a while.  Wasn't impressed.  Overpriced hype in my mind.

If something like this can be had for a reasonable price, I might be interested.  I'm not interested in paying for a name.  Best one I had was an Oregon that they stopped making.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »

Or the nonsense brag about the CFM of your aspiration fan that you added after you opened the box.  Sheesh....   :roll:
Really? I guess my "nonsense" has been good enough for these folks the last 6 years... :-" :lol:
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/other_obs.php?wfo=twc&zone=AZZ504

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »

Really? I guess my "nonsense" has been good enough for these folks the last 6 years... :-" :lol:
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/other_obs.php?wfo=twc&zone=AZZ504

You don't even know enough about it to know what I'm getting at.   :roll:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
Ask me if I care...

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 06:19:01 PM »
Can we cool this thread please.

Keep it about Weatherflow.

Ken

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »
This thread has been flagged and is now being monitored by the admins. Thank you.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »
Thank goodness.....finally....

Would it be reasonable to start talking about creating a weatherflow forum, or is that premature ?
Or should folks just avoid the hostility here and shop/discuss/share elsewhere (which would be sad) ?
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
Would it be reasonable to start talking about creating a weatherflow forum, or is that premature ?

I think a dedicated weatherflow forum would be a good idea.

Offline GaryFunk

• fSoft, Ltd
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »

Offline GaryFunk

• fSoft, Ltd
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:02:21 PM by GaryFunk »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
I've just got notification that my Weatherflow Sky has shipped.  \:D/

Apparently it's already made its way to California and has cleared customs!

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »

I have it from a *very* good source  :lol: that you will be happy with it.

FWIW, the weewx UDP driver is in my Github repository, with a link somewhere in another thread on this site.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »

I have it from a *very* good source  :lol: that you will be happy with it.

FWIW, the weewx UDP driver is in my Github repository, with a link somewhere in another thread on this site.....

nincehelser, you were an early adopter correct?  I joined the party late so all I've received so far is an email congratulating me and taking my money.  Does anyone know when the second wave of orders is supposed to go out?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
nincehelser, you were an early adopter correct?  I joined the party late so all I've received so far is an email congratulating me and taking my money.  Does anyone know when the second wave of orders is supposed to go out?

I'm not sure how they define "early", but I was backer #1274 on Indiegogo.  From the discussion on Facebook, it seems there are several folks with lower numbers who have yet to receive a shipping notice.  It was assumed the orders would be filled in numerical order, but that doesn't seem to be correct.  See this posting from a Weatherflow rep that explains it a bit:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

From the map at http://wf.fsoft.com/ it seems the number of Sky installations is steadily growing.  Someone reported that they're trying to ship about 150 units a day.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »
So,,,, Sounds like we have no idea.  Thanks for the info.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »
So,,,, Sounds like we have no idea.  Thanks for the info.

If you just signed on, there is a 30-day hold before Indiegogo releases your payment to WeatherFlow.  They will not ship until the funds are released.

I can say that my first order (June, 2016) [yes, two years ago!] arrived last week.  My second order (August, 2016) has not shipped yet.  I would guess that it will be at least a month before the later orders are filled in the USA, and have no idea about the other parts of the world.

As I said above, the final product has been worth the two-year wait.....

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
Not sure about that 30 days thing.  I ordered on April 30 and they already took the debit from my account.  I'm just wondering if I'm going to miss thunderstorm season with the lightning sensor.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »
Indiegogo takes your money and holds it for 30 days before releasing it to WF.  Did you receive the BackerKit address confirmation email yet?  If not, my guess is that you can use that as a sign that payment was released to WF.....

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
OK, now I think I'm getting it.  I got my backer email on 4/3 and IGG took my money, but they will someday release it to Waetherflow after using it to collect interest for a while.