Author Topic: Replacement for my Oregon WMR200?  (Read 504 times)

Offline BaronV

Replacement for my Oregon WMR200?
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
Hey guys been away from this forum from a long time as I sort of dropped off the PWS hobby for a few years. My OS WMR200 has been in storage for maybe a year or 2 now? Took stuff down when I had to paint the house and never got to putting it back up  :lol:

Anyway I want to get back into the game now, but sadly I powered on my WMR200 and it can only pick up the thermo-hygro sensor. The wind sensor and rain sensor appear to be dead. I've tried the reset method etc, but it just refuses to pick those 2 up. I also tried with my spare WMR-88 panel, with the same results. Guess those 2 sensors have kicked the bucket (along with the UV sensor which died years before).

I found some old stock WMR968N on sale on ebay from Australia for <200 USD including shipping. I wonder if its worth it for me to buy that to replace the sensors? Unfortunately replacement sensors are no longer on sale. Seems like Oregon Scientific PWS doesn't have much of a future...

Or perhaps I should just cut my losses and get a new PWS? TBH I've been looking at whats available out there and I can't say Im impressed. Were I to buy a new PWS it really ought to be a Davis VP2, but that eye watering cost is making me reconsider getting back into the hobby.

Should I get WMR968N? Or something else?

In the meantime I might put up y old La Crosse WS2310 instead. It's wired which means where I can place the sensors is far from ideal, and isn't that accurate to begin with (which is why i upgraded to the WMR200 some years after that)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Replacement for my Oregon WMR200?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »
Look at each brand section in this forum. See where the action is just by looking at how far back the oldest post on the first page of each brand is and how many active posts just in the past year or since January. While this alone is not a good gauge in itself because bad publicity and people complaining could elevate post count, you should still consider where the action is if you want to join the club and once again become a hobbyist. Read a handful of posts and get a feel for the users and see if they are generally happy or complaining, and what neat things they may be doing with their stations.

When you look at Oregon Scientific board section and see that they've had but a handful of active threads this year, that speaks volumes. So no, you should not consider Oregon Scientific.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:28:39 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole