Weather Related Organizations > NOAA National Weather Service

Oops.. API outage for gridpoint forecasts 22-Dec-2023 to 1-Jan-2024

(1/2) > >>

saratogaWX:
On the admin messages link:

--- Quote ---SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ALERT ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1837Z FRI DEC 22 2023

...API FORECAST GRIDPOINT OUTAGE UNTIL 1 JAN 2024...

Due to a known software issue, the API gridpoint forecast
service will be unavailable until Monday 1 January 2024.

Kempisty/SDM/NCO/NCEP

--- End quote ---

Impact: 

advforecast2.php V5.19 - 27-Dec-2022 will only retrieve Zone forecasts until issue is resolved.

advforecast2.php V4.05 - 21-May-2018 operates normally (page scraper script for forecast.weather.gov)

If you want the non-Zone forecast in Base-USA templates, download the V4.05 script from the link above and replace advforecast2.php on your website.

ValentineWeather:
Thanks, Ken may do that with an approaching storm. Jan 1 is a long ways out.

Renate:
I move around a lot and rely on the:
[*]https://api.weather.gov/points/
[*]https://api.weather.gov/gridpoints/[/list]
So when gridpoints failed, I googled and ended up here.

It's giving me a 502 Bad Gateway. That seems a pretty sloppy way to take a service offline.
I've never found gridpoints to be that reliable. I often get 500 Server Error.
I've reported them in the past but never got any resolution or improvement.
It's probably because the gridpoints I ask for have not already been queried by a zillion people already that day.
Or does this belong in a separate thread?

saratogaWX:
Discussion on the API github discussion area seems to indicate that a very old chunk of code that loads the data into the API for distribution has failed and really needs replacement, but priority has not been placed on this heretofor.  Send a note to nco.ops@noaa.gov to let them know the repair / replacement should be given high priority.

Renate:

--- Quote from: saratogaWX on December 25, 2023, 04:24:14 PM ---Send a note to nco.ops@noaa.gov to let them know the repair / replacement should be given high priority.
--- End quote ---
I did, but I forgot to complain about any number of other things.
[*]They should stop indenting, that cuts the JSON file size in half. There has to be some savings there for everybody.
[*]15 decimal places for latitude/longitude??? I just want to know when a tornado is within 4" of me. 6 decimal places should suffice. Ok, apparently they store 7 places so that is the maximum they should format.[/list]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version