Author Topic: Advice Needed On Inexpensive PWS  (Read 1185 times)

Offline kilogulf59

• Cannot operate a weather rock...
    • THE INTEGRATED CLOSE COMBAT FORUM
Advice Needed On Inexpensive PWS
« on: July 02, 2022, 09:23:33 AM »
After many years and many replacement TX37U-IT (or TX6U-IT) remote sensors, it’s time to replace our La Crosse Model #WS-8117U-IT-C atomic clock (ref pic below). We like that is has indoor/outdoor temps, moon phases, and day/date features. I hate to replace it because this was a gift from out daughter but I can no longer find a sensor for it. Not having the outside temp is driving me to distraction.

My wife and I were thinking of getting something with a little more info on it, I/O humidity and barometric pressure perhaps, while retaining the features of our clock. Probably one of those under $100 weather stations. Searching for one, the choices are mind boggling. I’d prefer battery operated and we don’t need a computer hookup. We just want to know the basic weather conditions outside our home. Does anyone have a recommendation, if not on a specific unit, then a brand?

PS
I did look around here and did not find the info I wanted.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:46:11 AM by kilogulf59 »
Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Advice Needed On Inexpensive PWS
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 09:47:03 AM »
I like AcuRite, they have many solutions to pick from and provide good products that are on the cheaper scale of weather sensors and displays.
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations.html?price=-100?ref=topfilter

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline kilogulf59

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 10:15:42 AM »
@chief-david, that looks like a nice unit, especially for the money, however I think it's a bit more than I wanted (though it is tempting :-k ).

@worachj, I will check them out.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.
Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 12:25:07 PM »
At the bottom of AcuRite's home page you can get a 10% discount on your first order if you sign up for their newsletter.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline kilogulf59

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 09:17:38 AM »
Well, after a lot of looking, I had it narrowed down to the AcuRite 02027A1. Then I stumbled upon Newentor stations, of which I've never heard (a search here revealed nothing). They seem to have excellent reviews and the missus and I really like the display on their Q7 Weather Station. Plus, it has all the features we wanted. So, I'm done, this is the one. I never realized there were so many PWS under $100 out there.

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

PS
I'd still like to find a sensor for our old La Cross unit. Like I said, it was a gift from our daughter and it's still functioning well. I'd hate to waste it  #-o
Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59