Author Topic: Is it possible to measure wind run?  (Read 733 times)

Offline LRAT

Is it possible to measure wind run?
« on: June 24, 2022, 09:48:35 PM »
Howdy,

Is it possible to measure the wind run over a period of 24 hours with a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus station?
If yes, where can I find the settings for that?
Cheers,

Luke
Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr fan with aspirated radiation shield (6163AU)
Davis Wireless leaf & soil Moist/Temp station (6345AU with 6470 temp sensor)
Ocean Controls FFS-002 anemometer

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Is it possible to measure wind run?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 10:26:10 PM »
If you have a data logger Wind Run is included in the data download for each archive interval.

Offline LRAT

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:40:22 PM »
Thanks for that! Yes, I have a data logger but I can't work out how to download that data from the logger to my PC.
The Weatherlink software is useless. I can't really use it as it freezes every 5 seconds. It also states "Station communication error. Please retry." about every ten minutes. However, on the console I can see the data coming in.
The Weatherlink version is 6.0.5 and is unresponsive most of the time.
Cheers,

Luke
Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr fan with aspirated radiation shield (6163AU)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 10:52:25 PM »
Ok what type of data logger? Serial or USB. What is the PC?

And nothing wrong with WeatherLink software, being running it for 25 years and 6.0.5 is fine. First thing to solve is the comms issue

Offline LRAT

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 11:06:19 PM »
The datalogger plugs in at the back of the console and has a USB connection. I plugged in the cable and have it connected to my PC (Running Windows 11).
The datalogger  was inside the Davis Weatherlink box.

Offline LRAT

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 11:16:17 PM »
I can further add to this:

Every five minutes or so I receive following message:
You have 10 seconds to cancel the auto download from ...

The Weatherlink program is unresponsive most of the time. I can't even close it down unless I go in the File Manager

I also can't open the Bulletin button. When I click it it comes with following message:
This feature is not available in Web Download mode. To enable this...

The manual doesn't mention anything about this.
You probably can notice that i'm becoming rather frustrated with this piece of software.

Also, the Browse records page only shows data from the last 10 minutes, all the rest seems to have disappeared.

Cheers,

Luke

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:36 PM »
You have Auto Download configured, check Setup>Auto Download and remove station from the Auto Download list

Multiple pages requiring direct comms can not be opened at the same time, only 1 page communicating at any one time.

Download and Read the following
https://www.weatherlink.com/static/software/weatherlink_software_getting_started_guide_pc_2018_11_28.pdf

Offline LRAT

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 11:27:38 PM »
The problem is that all menus are grayed out. The Setup button is completely unresponsive.

Offline LRAT

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 11:33:22 PM »
After rebooting I know have access to the Setup menu.
I was able to remove the station from the list but now it says "Stationcommunciation error. Please retry.". I can press OK, then it disappears and nothing happens.

Offline brentr12

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 08:33:09 PM »
In addition to this is it possible to view the Daily wind run on the weatherlink website? I have tried to figure it out in the charts.

Offline LRAT

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 10:15:22 PM »
I have been looking for wind run data everywhere but can't find anything.
I was hoping that data would be available as it is an important aspect of weather monitoring.
Cheers,

Luke

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 06:19:16 AM »
As far as I am aware, the wind run is a separate calculation. It's calculated from the average wind speed, so it's down to the end user to calculate it.

For example, Cumulus MX calculates the wind run as a rolling figure, and a total is created over a 24 hour period. WeatherLink doesn't do that, it shows a total for the logging interval, but doesn't create a total at the end of a 24 hour period.

You need to have a third-party software running to gather your data and create a daily total.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2023, 07:31:46 AM »
I have never understood the concept of wind run but it is available in Weatherlink.
This is a 3 day graph of wind run. The resolution is by hour but as you increase it to a week or month the resolution is by day. I don't know if this what you are looking for or not.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2023, 07:36:12 AM »
There is no set period (as such) defining Wind Run, Wind Run is simply the amount of wind passing the station during a given period of time. Davis use the average wind speed for each archive multiplied by the archive interval in hours. The tighter the archive interval, the more relevant the wind run in real terms.

The wind run derived from different archive intervals (during the same time frame) and totaled over 24 hours or any period of time will provide totally different wind run values. Similar with the difference using a 1 minute or 2 hour archive, 120 times the 1 minute wind run will not equal the 2 hourly derived wind run     

anything