Author Topic: Best method for regular maintenance  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Merc41

• Leesville Reservoir and surrounding area.
Best method for regular maintenance
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
I am wondering what you guys do in order to do regular maintenance to your VP2 stations. Do you put your console in setup mode before you mess with the unit or just disconnect the modular jack wires from the iss before you do anything. I would like to do the maintenance without effecting my readings.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Best method for regular maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:51:27 PM »
If I remember I put mine in setup mode before messing with the ISS.   :oops:

More often then not I don't seem remember to do it (my excuse being that I'm too focused on what I'm going to do outside  ;) ) until I go back in the house and find the screw ball reading I'd just created. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Merc41

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »
So Mark if I put it in setup mode, the unit won't sent any data to the console?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »
I believe if you put the console in setup mode, the console won't be listening for the ISS.  The ISS will transmit, but no body is home.  So you can mess with the ISS all you want, nothing is recorded in the console.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
Any recommendation for a Weather Envoy?

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
Putting the console in setup does not prevent recording of false tips of the rain collector tipping bucket. Unplug the rain collector from the SIM before you work on the ISS.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline Merc41

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
Ok, so just unplug the rain collector and put the console in setup mode, and that should take care of any information being "recorded"....that will work, thanks everyone.

Mark

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
Putting the console in setup does not prevent recording of false tips of the rain collector tipping bucket. ....

I had forgot about that.   #-o  There's some memory cache in the ISS for the bucket tips.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »
just curious, what particular type of maintenance are you planning, or is recommended?  the only things that I have done over the past year have been cleaning the solar panel, and cleaning the dust out of the rain collector filter and "tippers".  anything else I should be doing on a regular basis?

thanks!

Offline Merc41

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »
Well, this time last year I had a lot of beetle type bugs inside the top cover that I had to take out...that and the dust that gathers inside there is about all I have had to clean. However, I may want to move the unit to another place or adjust it to a different position, and just wanted to make sure it would register anything.

As far as that, I can't think of any other maintenance I would need to do.

Mark

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
There's the post-Spring pollen cleaning of the rain collector, the periodic bird crap extraction, the mid-Summer wasp nest removal, the mid- and late-Fall leaf removal, and the Winter post-ice-storm ice melt.  \:D/

Don't forget about the Fall Spider eviction as well. ;)
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
I will be doing my maintenance this weekend if the weather is "dull".  Nice weather for most people.

I am hoping my DFARS comes in tomorrow via the UPS girl....

My station has only been up since mid-September ought-8, so I'm hoping it's not too dirty or spidery.

Happy Easter.

Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
I will be doing my maintenance this weekend if the weather is "dull".  Nice weather for most people.

Strong to severe storms coming through here Friday and Monday.  I'll bet you get some of that action, too.   8-[

Yeah, I'll bet!

My station has only been up since mid-September ought-8, so I'm hoping it's not too dirty or spidery.

I uncovered my bushhog today during a "cleanup" around the farm-ette and found a sprayer for the sevin spray for the garden.  I had left the pump out of it so that it wouldn't freeze and burst.  I thought it looked kind of brownish (it's a white plastic sprayer) and when I looked inside, it was full of sticks and leaves.  A bird was up in the trees squawking at me.  So, big hearted guy that I am, I put it back and pulled the tarp over it.  I hope the bird will go back to it.  You would think that the bug spray would smell, but I guess it didn't bother them.  I donno.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »

Strong to severe storms coming through here Friday and Monday.  I'll bet you get some of that action, too.   8-[

Yeah, I'll bet!

I uncovered my bushhog today during a "cleanup" around the farm-ette and found a sprayer for the sevin spray for the garden.  I had left the pump out of it so that it wouldn't freeze and burst.  I thought it looked kind of brownish (it's a white plastic sprayer) and when I looked inside, it was full of sticks and leaves.  A bird was up in the trees squawking at me.  So, big hearted guy that I am, I put it back and pulled the tarp over it.  I hope the bird will go back to it.  You would think that the bug spray would smell, but I guess it didn't bother them.  I donno.

Not a cloud in the sky this morning, comfortably cool, but warming quickly. Very little wind.

Excellent day to do the maintenance on the ISS.

Yes. UPS girl brought the FARS yesterday.

I shut down and retrieved the whole thing off the roof.  Brought it inside and "tested" the rainfall a bit.  I'm coming up a little short, but decided to leave it be for now.  Not 100% sure of my testing methods.

Took it all apart and installed the FARS and put it back together and back to the roof I went.

All seems to be back up and working.  I could even hear the little fan whirling around.

I "aimed" it more to the southwest in hopes of catching the last rays of summertime sun.  I hope I didn't go too far and the rest of it quits working, but I think it will get enough sunlight.

Oh yeah.  Only 3 little spiders and 2 dead flies.

Now to move onto another Saturday project.

Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:09:03 PM »
Let me share my experience.... I had to replace the reed switch in my rain collector.  I put the console in setup mode, pulled the ISS and soldered in the new switch.  Then I took the ISS back up and installed it.  Came back downstairs and took the console out of setup mode.  To test the switch, I went back up and did one tip.  I came back downstairs and looked at the console.  I had .74" of daily rain....... :shock:  I went back upstairs and looked at the ISS.  I had not put the collector cover back on and left the buckets exposed.  We were in the middle of a fairly decent blow from the north and the buckets were going back and forth like hummigbird wings  :oops:...... Lesson learned.... DON'T leave the rain collector off during a wind storm...... ](*,)

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain