Author Topic: How important is the 4x distance rule for setting up weather station?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
Hi guys. I'm new here and to the weather station world.

I just set up a new weather station WS-2000 within the last couple of weeks. I've already had to move it closer to my house for a couple of reasons (reception and better overhead clearing), which brings me to my question.

My house is about 27 feet tall at the apex of the roof. I've installed my weather station 48 feet away. It stands 15 feet tall in a lower section of my backyard, which is approx 4 feet lower than my house (using Google earth to determine).

I've included a photo for you to see my weather station behind my home. It's mounted on a 10'6" fence top rail which is connected to an 8 foot 4x4, 2 feet in the ground.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I know it's difficult to have a perfect location, so I'm wondering just how important the 4x distance rule is? By my calculations, based on the rule, my weather station isn't tall enough. To meet the 4x rule, I believe it should be about 19 feet tall.

To do that I'd have to purchase a 20 foot telescoping mast (probably Rohn H20) so that I can easily lower it to about 10 foot to do maintenance on it. That would cost close to $200 with freight shipping.

Also, since my weather station isn't modular, it would move the temperature and water collection sensor even further away from the ground.

Just wondering if you guys think it's necessary? I don't mind the cost so much as long as it's worth it.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Leave it as it is. Looks perfect for an all-in-one station. The height you have is the best compromise for an all-in-one. But that said if wind data is really that important to you, more so than other sensors, then you can make it taller. But if you aren't concerned for one sensor more than the other, then everything looks fine. Just accept the data you get as being representative for your little microclimate area. You mentioned the house but I see trees that are even taller. Let it be and enjoy your new station. If cost is really not a concern then consider upgrading to separate components. Or perhaps just leave that upgrade for a few years from now.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
Thanks Galfert. Ironically it's wind data that got me into this in the first place.

You are right that I do have trees in my neighborhood and my yard, as I'm sure so many do. I have two rectangular sections of tall trees to the east and west of my weather station. Thankfully they aren't terribly dense. I've tried to position the weather station so that it's on the shallow side of the rectangle as opposed to the end, to maximize the wind that I may get and I do get pretty good wind.

Regarding the house, it's southeast of my weather station, probably between about 140 and 170 degrees. I have seen wind come from that direction as well, but perhaps not as much as others would get. I'm still monitoring it however since I moved my weather station last Thursday evening.

I will note that my wind data doesn't necessarily look like those around me. When many are getting lots of wind from the east, I may be getting it mostly from the northwest. I've double and tripled checked that I'm aimed at true north, so I know it isn't a problem with my weather station's direction.

Regarding a modular system, I did look at the WS-5000 a few days ago. I thought it might be simple upgrade since I already have the console. But when I saw that the wind and temperature sensors were part of the same connected section, I lost interest, as it would seem to defeat the purpose for me upgrading (keeping the wind high and the temp low).

I'm here on WU:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNCGREEN290

And here on AW:
https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/9c629050bc228b27cb134b8795759a1d

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Yes the WS-5000 does have that limitation of integrated temperature and humidity, because it needs that data to calculate actual wind speed over to the console. It could get remedied by the WH32E as that overrides the WS80.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwh32e.html

Or you could look at getting an Ecowitt GW1002 or GW1003 which comes with the equivalent WH32 (no E in the model for this same part from Ecowitt).

The Ambient WH32E or Ecowitt WH32 needs a radiation shield. I recommend the Davis 7714 or Barani Meteoshield Pro.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:58:14 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know much yet about Ecowitt other than what I've seen on a few threads. I know a lot of it is the same hardware, but could I still use my AW display with their sensors?

Also would I still be able to send my data to AWnet?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know much yet about Ecowitt other than what I've seen on a few threads. I know a lot of it is the same hardware
It is the same hardware. All made by Fine Offset. The difference is that Ambient modifies their firmware and locks down their features and sensor compatibility.

could I still use my AW display with their sensors?
No, you can't use Ambient console with Ecowitt sensors. But you can do it the other way around....Ecowitt console with Ambient sensors then no problem. It is because Ecowitt consoles are not locked down.

Also would I still be able to send my data to AWnet?
You can't directly upload from Ecowitt console to Ambientweather.net. But you can if you add an Ambient WeatherBridge device that then has the license required to upload to Ambientweather.net. You'll need an Ecowitt GW1000 for this to work. You can also use a regular Meteobridge and add the $100 Ambientweather.net license...basically then making it the same as the Ambient WeatherBridge. See the Ambient WeatherBridge is just a Meteobridge that comes with that $100 license value already installed.

Although the Ecowitt consoles do not upload to Ambientweather.net...they do upload to Ecowitt.net and the two sites are somewhat similar. Ambientweather.net does have some extra features and has recently gone through some extensive rework and they plan on adding even more features.
Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
Or you could look at getting an Ecowitt GW1002 or GW1003 which comes with the equivalent WH32 (no E in the model for this same part from Ecowitt).

From what I've read from your other posts, Ecowitt can't sell the WS80 here in the states.

But is that just the one part or can they sell the GW1003?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

From what I've read from your other posts, Ecowitt can't sell the WS80 here in the states.

But is that just the one part or can they sell the GW1003?

Correct, the WS80 and the GW1003 because it includes the WS80 will not be sold by Ecowitt in the US.
Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
Yes the WS-5000 does have that limitation of integrated temperature and humidity, because it needs that data to calculate actual wind speed over to the console. It could get remedied by the WH32E as that overrides the WS80.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwh32e.html

The Ambient WH32E or Ecowitt WH32 needs a radiation shield. I recommend the Davis 7714 or Barani Meteoshield Pro.

I've got the Davis 7714 being delivered soon. Found it for 60 bucks online and $5 shipping, which seemed like a pretty good deal compared to other places.

But my question is this. I know the Ambient WH32E will override the WS80. Will it also override the WS-2000 osprey?

And lastly, in the picture of my backyard above is a 10x10 deck. Would that be a decent place to mount the WH32E with the Davis shield? Alternatively I could also mount it to the 4x4 I use for my osprey.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
But my question is this. I know the Ambient WH32E will override the WS80. Will it also override the WS-2000 osprey?
It is treated the same way. The WH32E takes precedence in the WS-2000 display console. The WS-2000 display console still technically sees both, but chooses to make the WH32E the primary outdoor.

And lastly, in the picture of my backyard above is a 10x10 deck. Would that be a decent place to mount the WH32E with the Davis shield? Alternatively I could also mount it to the 4x4 I use for my osprey.
You should mount it in full sun. Wherever it gets to most amount of direct sun all day. The least shaded place.

Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
Re: How important is the 4x distance rule for setting up weather station?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 09:05:01 PM »
You should mount it in full sun. Wherever it gets to most amount of direct sun all day. The least shaded place.

At least at this time of year, the corner of my deck gets 6.5 hours of sun which is why I was aiming for that spot. Best spot in my backyard. I was simply worried about heat radiating from the wood.

anything